Lifetravelled- Aussie couple hitting the road to Argentina -in Peru

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by lifetravelled, May 17, 2018.

1. danh600

danh600 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I sure you have posted about it before, but I was wondering how fluent are you guys in Spanish?
    lifetravelled likes this.
  2. lifetravelled

lifetravelled Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good question, well when we left we knew nothing, we have picked it along the away, we did a week of school in Antigua, Stef speaks Italian and that helps to understand a lot.

What does this all mean... We can generally figure out what's going, we can ask for what we need ect however we can't hold real conversations with people, that is something I wish we could.

I can answer the general questions we get, where we from, where we going, all about the bike but not real conversations.

Hope that answers it...
  3. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    We rode from the border, our second country in SA, it felt good, we just rode and appreciated getting this far.

But we were hungry, we always try to get an hour from the border then look for lunch, it was a late lunch due to the 3 hours border visit.

Our first Ecuadorian meal of the day, Stef was nervous as Colombian lunch and been a highlight of our time especially the soup, could the Ecuadorians do just as good a job.

The answer is Yes, the soup was different, less vegetable variety but more spices added and just as tasty.

The below lunch set us back $2 with a juice.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
  4. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    We were headed to the town of Otavalo, home to the largest artesian market in South America, we had managed to time it just right, we rode in Friday afternoon and Saturday was the main market day.

We arrived at our hotel, which we had found online but we normally just rock up and see what price we can get, in Colombia this was sometimes half of online at worst they would match the online price at least they kept all the money.

Stef went in and they wanted almost double the online price, Stef told them the online price and they gave it to her but said no breakfast that would be an extra $16 for breakfast (breakfast costs around $2-3 a plate here) we checked in got all our stuff in the room and then I decided to go talk to them because online it included breakfast, turns out the old lady was just trying to screw us got downstairs and the daughter was at reception with her and she was like yes it includes it, the old lady said no again, then the younger one said you can have breakfast no problem.

Rant over, but this has happen at most places we stayed in Ecuador, always pushing the prices up or adding on, so different to Colombia.

We showered (excellent shower), changed and headed into the square as the sun was setting, cool town with a nice vibe going on.

5. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    Next morning we had our included breakfast and the son was serving it, super nice guy with excellent English, he had a chat and asked about the bike, reccomended some places to go. We hit the market which was actually pretty nice, the extra stalls for the Saturday market where bit more trashy tourist stuff but the core was nice.

It think it's a good spot to stop after the border crossing, plenty of hotels places to eat and the market is a nice place to walk in the morning any day of the week.

My favourite is always the food areas tho.

6. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
  7. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Damn, those fruits and veggies look like they are on steroids...
  8. danh600

danh600 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually I like when people give that answer. Makes it seem more doable for a guy like me. I speak very little Spanish. I can generally read a menu because I like Hispanic food so much, but it mostly ends there.

Again, thanks for taking the time to do this report. You guys make it look like so much fun.
    lifetravelled and Drybones like this.
  9. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    We have met people doing the same trip who speak no Spanish, the more you know the better time you will have but it can be done at any level, we have almost no exposure to Spanish in Australia.

Google translate is super helpful and works offline.

I think if you go solo you will pick it up faster because you are forced to interact more, we met a young guy who learnt fast because he was on his own and practiced at night.

Lastly I think it’s a nice transition, Mexico lots of English and central a lot, then SA a lot less, so you find your way, Colombia almost no English spoken in hotels, shops & restaurants. It was only well off Colombians we spoke with who spoke English.

It’s easy just do it.
    Geezerguy and fasttortoise like this.
  10. NewmarketSTROM

NewmarketSTROM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So you did not see the part of the market where they were buying and slaughtering livestock. Maybe they don't do that on Saturdays.
  11. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    It's on a Saturday but it's held a little out of town, w decided not to go to it.
  12. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    We left Otavalo and head for Quito we crossed the equator and got the all important photos...

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
  13. sandsman

sandsman Shut up and ride!!!!

Oddometer:
    Excellent! I told you would like Ecuador.
  14. Moosietoo

Moosietoo MooseMan

Oddometer:
    I'm all caught up. Glad your having a wonderful trip.
    Something You'll always remember.
    As always thanks for the reports and fabulous Pictures!
  15. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    Thanks for following along.
  16. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    We arrived into Quito, checked in and went for a walk with no real plan, other than to find lunch, $2 lunch and then we wandered the city is a cool place to just walk...

17. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
  18. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    We had an excellent burger at a place near our hotel and called it a night, next day with a bit of a plan we headed out explore the city, we came across a large parade which was cool.

19. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
  20. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    Stef was happy as we found excellent coffee..
    image.jpeg