Lift one for Catfish Downieville Daze July 17-20, 2019

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by cobra46, May 8, 2019.

1. cobra46

cobra46 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

Unfortunately Catfish is unable to attend his own birthday ride due to some physical issues.

I, and a few others, have reserved camp spots already so I say we still attend and lift a cold one (or a few) in his honor.

Who is in?

This will take place at Packsaddle CG
  2. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bummer, His rotator cup I am guessing. Camped out with him a week or so ago. hope he gets better.
  3. LB Rides

LB Rides n00b

Oddometer:
    Oh, I'm interested in this love riding Downieville. We were there Thanksgiving weekend and Pauley's was thick of snow so it cut our loop a bit short.

catfish and 1224R like this.
  4. ravine

ravine Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In. Site 12
  5. catfish

catfish Squidicus Adventurous Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just NOW cancelled Packsaddle Site # 6 for July 17-21. If you want it, better go reserve it SOON!!!

Surgery will be July 8th, so no camping or riding in July or so for me.

Have FUN & take lotsa photos to tease me with! ;-)

Catfish ...
    Hop-Sing likes this.
  6. Baja_Joe

Baja_Joe Gone Riding....

Oddometer:
    Cobra,

Yes still planing to attend. Campsite #6 Reserved.
    catfish likes this.
  7. catfish

Oddometer:
    Earl just cancelled CG Site # 2. Go get SOME!

Site # 4 should be coming available in a couple of days. I'll post when I get word.

LB Rides, nice video! :-)

Catfish ...
    LB Rides likes this.
  8. catfish

Oddometer:
    Site 4 for this ride was cancelled today. Might still be available .

Catfish ...
  9. cobra46

cobra46 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, I broke my foot riding Foresthill last month. I'm highly unlikely to be healed up enough for this kind of riding by the 17th so I have offered my site to @chrisBTSC. If he chooses not to go I will cancel my reservation.
  10. catfish

Oddometer:
    Oh-NOOO!!! Sorry to hear you've joined the ranks of the wounded. Way too many of us this year. Heal quickly.

I get knifed & start PT over again next week. But we did a little riding in June.

[​IMG]
    76yo Earl about to launch?!? ;-) Post Canyon, west of Hood River, OR is the BEST!

Catfish ...
    cobra46 likes this.
  11. 2wheelust

2wheelust Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone still riding the Daze this year? Sounds like injuries are taking their toll this year. The last few years looked fantastic and I was hoping to crash the party this year. Just picked up a 350 and it's looking way too clean/pretty.

Catfish, you're doing it right. Throwing down right up to the doc's appt. It looks like we may have crossed paths this year, we were playing in the dirt in both Ashland and Hood within the last couple months.
  12. Sfcootz

Sfcootz feral Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nooo! Heal up @catfish !!!
  13. ravine

ravine Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ugh, sorry to hear about your foot Cobra42. Catfish, good luck with the surgery this week. Wishing you guys a fast recovery. Full recovery or not, I hope to see you guys at the Mendo Rally in September.

Doug and I are still good to go at Packsaddle for next week. Who else is in besides Baja_Joe?
  14. cobra46

cobra46 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you. I will for sure make Mendo IF it happens. I have yet to hear any encouraging news about that area other than the 6X trails on the north side of the lake are now open.

It's confirmed that chrisBTSC doesn't want site 5. I will cancel my reservation in a little bit if anyone wants to grab it.
  15. catfish

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Surgery went well. Started PT today. (OUCH!) Its going to be a looong summer. Glad I got good drugs! ;-)

You guys have FUN this weekend. I look forward to ride reports & photos! :-)

Catfish ...
  16. catfish

Oddometer:
    My buddies Anders & Jim are already up there with families & friends sending photos to facebook!

Y'all have FUN!

Catfish ...
  17. Rustler

Rustler Happy Camper

Oddometer:
    No Catfish, no Downieville, although I am riding this weekend with a guy who has a new hip. These high mileage bodies need a lot more maintenence.

And all I can say Catfish is...
    catfish likes this.
  18. Baja_Joe

Baja_Joe Gone Riding....

Oddometer:
    A good group made the trek Downieville. Upper trails were rode. Good times.

Tacos
    Beer Fest
    Secret Swim Hole
    Switch Backs
    Black Butte Porter
    Steaks
    Single Track Nirvana

Weather was perfect and the trails were open. Good times.
    Sunday was really fun. Super K and I rode the re-aligned PCT now Moto Trails. Rode some other and then came around Gold Lake 4x4. Rib-eye Quesadillas for lunch. Home around 6pm. Really wanted to stay one more day.

Just Ride!!
    Baja Joe
    cobra46 and catfish like this.
  19. 2wheelust

2wheelust Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Whelp, Thankfully BajaJoe beat me to a quickie ride report but I'll provide some supporting photographic evidence of the escapades.

I rolled up Wed evening to meet up with Ravine and his childhood buddy who had made the trek from NY to come play in our woods. Staying true to the title of the thread, we immediately found some beer and whiskey to salute Catfish and his annual day. The next day was a leisurely start, enjoying the great weather and shaking down the motos.
    IMG_2030.jpeg
    Riding some of the upper trails and general bombing around exploring the area.
    IMG_8863.JPG
    IMG_8870.JPG
    In case you're in search of a beverage of a different flavor than is in your cooler, we were impressed Packer Lake lodge just down the road from the campsite has some top shelf options for the perfect post ride cocktail.
    IMG_8878.JPG

Rumor had it Packer lake was just stocked specifically for Catfish's Bday so at the very least I had to make a daybreak push for a quick fly fishing session before anyone was up. Quickly reminding me of my limited skillset with flyfishing (and I thought my moto skills were weak...) Stunning morning regardless.
    IMG_8889.JPG

Bikes dialed and well rested, we struck out the next day for some laps on the 'go to' Downieville trails. Midweek, so not much traffic and still great trail conditions. Good times as always.
    IMG_8951.JPG
    IMG_8939.JPG
    IMG_8984.PNG
    catfish, cobra46 and rjnutt like this.
  20. 2wheelust

2wheelust Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Already forgetting prior morning's public embarrassment with a fly rod, I made a second early morning session on Packer lake. And since I was solo, no one can deny the multiple monster fish I pulled out of the lake nonstop all morning... So very sorry the phone/camera was back in the car...

BajaJoe and Kristi had pulled in Friday night, so it was decided we would rally down to Downieville proper, grab some tacos at La Cocina De Oro Taqueria, check out the beer festival, and find a sweet swimming hole before heading back to soak up some vistas and check out some 'adventure modified' vehicles.

IMG_9036.JPG
    IMG_9008.JPG
    IMG_9021.JPG
    IMG_9038.JPG

Another great day of riding with good weather, good trails and even better people. Honestly, I think we need to talk to Catfish about having more than one Birthday a year.

I appreciate Ravine and Doug letting me crash their riding weekend since injury et al. greatly reduced the numbers showing this year for the Daze. Plus showing me some local stuff I didn't know about and demonstrating how pimp a camp setup can get (my quick fix backpacker mode was shamed by the Omaha steaks and comfy camp conditions). Ha. Stoked to have met BajaJoe and Kristi (and if I'm being honest, Verona too. Damn cool dog.) and get a day in the saddle with them. Not nearly enough time BSing/talking backstories and motos with their experience.

Lets do it again. Catfish how do you feel about 1/2 Bdays?....
    Hope the injuries for all heal up quickly and back in the saddle happens quickly.
    catfish and rjnutt like this.