Light Weight Bike Comfortable for Passenger

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by GeoAggie, Apr 6, 2021.

1. GeoAggie

GeoAggie Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The possibility of an RT to replace the GS is really for a different need. I'm talking about a lighter, cheaper, fun bike to ride with passenger comfort that I could also trailer or even put on a hitch trailer easily.

For example, how about a Yamaha MT-09 with a small windshield? This might work if I could find a better seat with a passenger backrest.
  2. Blackshirt

Blackshirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    You’re going to need a pretty stout vehicle to hitch rack a 450 lb bike. I’ve carried a 375 lb Meriden Triumph on the back of my 3/4 ton Suburban, but I wouldn’t want to carry much more. My receiver hitch bike will soon be a Honda CRF300L Rally at 333 lbs wet. However, this would not be a good two-up ride. You may be better off with a larger scooter with a top case. Have a look at the Piaggio BV350 Sport Tourer. There is an amply sized seat and an available top case with a backrest. It has an automatic transmission, under seat storage, and gets 60mpg. Weight is about 390 lbs dry, so figure a kerb weight of 415 lbs. The larger diameter wheels give it a smooth ride and more linear steering. My father-in-law rode his ‘06 BV500 from New Orleans to Denver...these Piaggio scooters have long legs...

https://www.piaggio.com/us_EN/models/bv-range/piaggio-BV/piaggio-bv-sport-touring-350-abs/

6853BFCF-27E7-444E-8F11-5EAD6CA763F3.jpeg
    GeoAggie likes this.
  3. Fakenstein

Fakenstein Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im gonna go against the grain with a diff option, rebel 500 with a corbin seat with backrest. 405lbs curb weight. Saddle bags and forward controls and you can ride all day at 55MPG. not speedy but not a budget breaker either at 6299 new. Just need to setup the peg configuration as I think some years you had to add passenger pegs/brackets and since the bike is so small I would recommend converting to forward controls for driver.
    upload_2021-4-9_13-58-45.png
    Bluesmudge, shoeb and GeoAggie like this.
  4. Fakenstein

Oddometer:
    Also for more grins but staying close to the 400lbs at listed 403 wet. 2013 to 2016 street triple with backrest type seat, with a soupy's lowering link to bring the rear down to level, I would pick this over the mt09.
    upload_2021-4-9_14-4-33.png
    GeoAggie likes this.
  5. Fakenstein

Oddometer:
    now If I was building one to my specs.but trying to do it cheap. Take a used DR650 lower the passenger pegs with some ebay brackets. have an upholsterly shop build up the back part of the seat for the passenger and call it a day. maybe replace shock spring for stiffer. Also an SR400 might be an option too but its kickstart only.
  6. GeoAggie

Oddometer:
    Love these ideas!! I've never owned a scooter or cruiser style bike but these are intriguing, especially for easy transporting. The last thought on the DR650 could even apply to my 701 enduro, which also needs suspension work to be more compliant on road - a seat mod plus the backrest is key, then no $$ on new bike!! But, on the other hand, there is a certain appeal to adding one to the stable because . . . . . . . well just because :lol3
  7. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went with 2022 klr for similar 2up reasons. We haved ridden scooters to harleys. Best one so far is xj550 maxim. Older ujm are hard to beat.
  8. Fakenstein

Oddometer:
    oh dont forget suzuki's LS650 savage. (really similar engine to a dr650 but with belt drive.) they been making it for decades. still on their site as a boulevard-s40 381 lbs curb weight but still carbed, no fuel injection on it. cheaper than the honda 500 though at 5800ish
    upload_2021-4-9_19-10-6.png upload_2021-4-9_19-12-29.png
    upload_2021-4-9_19-15-0.png
    GeoAggie likes this.
  9. Fakenstein

Oddometer:
    upload_2021-4-9_19-19-34.png
    Bluesmudge and GeoAggie like this.
  10. Fakenstein

Oddometer:
    upload_2021-4-9_19-22-47.png 350 lbs
    GeoAggie likes this.
  11. Fakenstein

Oddometer:
    Tiger 850 - 423 lbs (im done now, you got options!)
    upload_2021-4-9_19-26-0.png
    billyal33 and GeoAggie like this.
  12. GeoAggie

Oddometer:
    I absolutely love this bike but what about a passenger? I'm not sure how or if aftermarket could solve.
  13. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    This would be great if your passenger's name is Nadia Comăneci. When she was 15... :lol3

Gustavo
  14. PeterTrocewicz

PeterTrocewicz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Something this proves is that both comfort and lightweight are relative and very subjective. I would start with the 650-800 class of adventure type bikes if I were in your situation, you are probably more comfortable the characteristics if you own a GS. Cruisers may also be comfortable for you. My wife's biggest complaint about passenger comfort is that so many manufacturer's put the passenger pegs too high, even if the seat is good. It would be easy to get a set of lowering brackets made up to counter that though. I drew up a set that a machinist coworker was going to make for me out of scrap pieces of aluminum but lost my job before he got around to it.
    GeoAggie likes this.
  15. GeoAggie

Oddometer:
    Appreciate the feedback. I am used to adventure bikes with a GS and older GSA. She is very comfortable on both. I was thinking a lighter weight standard type bike but some of the suggestions are intriguing to follow up. Thanks.
  16. Blackshirt

Blackshirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I get this vibe that you don’t have a pickup. You must be the only A&M grad who doesn’t own a maroon truck...and living in Austin?! (just kidding) There has never been a better time to ride bikes...lots of choices. I know you’ll gig a winner.
    GeoAggie and No False Enthusiasm like this.
  17. GeoAggie

Oddometer:
    I've had my share of diesel 4x4's but always for towing. Otherwise a waste really compared to a smaller more maneuverable vehicle. True, lots of fantastic choices.
    Blackshirt likes this.
  18. VeryBumpy

VeryBumpy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wondering what the OP went with?
    GeoAggie likes this.
  19. GeoAggie

Oddometer:
    Nothing yet. The KTM 390 Adventure is an intriguing option with a trunk case as a passenger backrest. Still looking at options. I'm going to test the Husqvarna 701e I have with wife using an air hawk for her. I have a Seat Concepts that I love but not the best for passenger comfort. Not options for backrest however.
  20. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a Kawasaki Versys X 300 with a Russell sport front seat and Russell Day Long passenger portion, with a back rest for the operator. I use a Givi topcase as a backrest for the passenger. I added highway pegs for me. Roomy enough for both of us and we both wear airbags. Powerful enough for 2 up if you are willing to rev it. I mean really rev it. It is our RV motorcycle that we use in place of a car on motorhome trips. The 380 pounds makes it easy to handle getting on and off the trailer. I use it to go to rallies held by my motorcycle forum groups. I keep it in 3rd or 4th and let it rip. I keep up with the big boys just fine. It wouldn't be my first choice for 8 hours on the interstate, but it will do it.
    old1959, klaviator and GeoAggie like this.