Light Weight Bike Comfortable for Passenger

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by GeoAggie, Apr 6, 2021.

1. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is a picture of the seat. 735D9E8F-BC0E-4AC5-BB6F-3EA3C3B2266E.jpeg
  2. old1959

old1959 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really enjoyed this thread which caught my interest since I plan to downsize from a Yamaha S10 at some point in the future. Thanks everyone for sharing ideas.
  3. zaxrex

zaxrex Lost in the Ergosphere

Oddometer:
    Yamaha Tracer GT maybe?

Why the "hard" 450lb cutoff?

Honestly 2-up touring on a bike that weighs <450lbs wet sounds pretty miserable.
    SilentRay likes this.
  4. SilentRay

SilentRay Wheres that go Supporter

Oddometer:
    Even if she's only 125lbs she needs to be comfortable or neither of you will enjoy the ride.
    zaxrex likes this.
  5. Sumo64c

Sumo64c Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your thread winner.....that's all day rump comfort on a light and capable 2 up motorcycle.
  6. zaxrex

Oddometer:
    Or if she's like my wife? She just won't enjoy the ride, period.
    SilentRay likes this.
  7. GeoAggie

GeoAggie Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have 4 motorcycles currently and 30+ years of riding, so I get that. When I say touring I mean generally 150-200 miles. Light touring on a bike easy to transport with an RV for example. Appreciate the suggestions. Thanks.
  8. OSUgasman

OSUgasman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any love for the Triumph Bonnevilles? Would that work for you? (That Moto Guzzi is sex on 2 wheels. Love those bikes. Used to own a Griso 1200 and it was stunning, but it wasn't good for 2 up or longer rides.)
    GeoAggie likes this.
  9. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Buell Ulysses has the best passenger accommodations of any light bike I’ve seen so far. Huge comfy seat, back rest, lots of leg room, etc. Many bikes that seem like they’d be good two up have weird ergonomics out back that will make your pax uncomfortable.
  10. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    The best kind of wife. She can stay at home, cooking and cleaning, and the bike is 125 lbs lighter! :clap
  11. zaxrex

Oddometer:
    You got the first part right, the second part... yeah that's not her lol.
  12. Bluesmudge

Bluesmudge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Look for any lighter, mid-displacement bikes that have a full sized frame and subframe.
    Off the top of my head, Suzuki GS500F, any of the Honda CB500 range (500F, 500X, 500R) and Honda Rebel 500. If you can handle a little more weight, the 650 twins like the Kawasaki Versys 650 or Suzuki DL650/SV650. I would also recommend the Suzuki Burgman 400 or Honda Silver Wing although they are a little overweight like the Vstrom and Versys. They are all good choices but will all need aftermarket seat and luggage to tour 2-up in comfort (except for maybe the scooter options which have factory storage and more comfortable seats).

The GS500F is around 425 curb weight but has a GVW of 845 lbs, giving you 420 lbs to play with. That is a similar carrying capacity to a BMW R1200GS. I've toured the Western US 2-up on the GS500 with camping gear. Its up to the task if you don't mind being in the right lane sometimes. My wife found the GS500 more comfortable than the Vstrom 1000. Anything with 40 hp or more is up to the challenge.
  13. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Honestly if you’re riding 2-up, the weight of the bike shouldn’t be a priority as you’re not off-road on it. I’d focus on the best safety aids first. IMU electronics like lean abs and traction control. The GS’s anti-dive telelever suspension is also excellent from a safety standpoint. Just stick with your beemer or get the new 1250.
    GeoAggie likes this.
  14. motogogo66

motogogo66 Ohio Rider

Oddometer:
    I ride a 2004 Triumph Bonneville with a Corbin seat that has the built in backrest. This bike is easy for my passenger to get on and will accommodate us both and our luggage. With a GVWR of 948 lbs., and a bike weight of 451 lbs., that leaves us 497 lbs. of carrying capacity. And this is a easy bike to ride, no big power house but has an engine (790cc) that pulls very well and doesn't seem overtaxed or busy. 20200405_114226.jpg 20200710_165046.jpg

Attached Files:

GeoAggie and jspringator like this.
  15. GeoAggie

GeoAggie Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is a terrific set-up. I finally pulled the trigger on a light weight bike for a passenger . . . . . a 2021 KTM 890 Adventure R with a factory trunk case. Will send pictures soon. I seem to be unable to venture too far from adventure bikes?! But I wanted the fun factor also as my '09 R12GSA and '12 ST1300 are tremendous touring machines. Thank you all for the thoughtful comments and ideas. :clap
    Dao1 likes this.
  16. shoeb

shoeb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mr and the Mrs tried our first 2-up ride today on my new-ish to me 2015 CB500F.

Honestly, I was super impressed. Reasonable seat space, handling bore up to the task extremely well, and the power was perfectly adequate. The torquey nature of the engine means you've no need to rev it any higher to accommodate.

Only uphill in top gear at 60mph would I fancy dropping a gear for meaningful acceleration. What a great all rounder it is! Far better my old GS500E by comparison.

Of course, if you were buying with 2-up in mind the CB500X may have better accommodations.

I'm 6', 180lb and my wife is 5'7", 170lbs so neither of us diminutive.
    GeoAggie likes this.
  17. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    Before we had a kid the wife rode on the back of my bikes, and I on the back of hers.
    She liked the Honda 919 a lot and the DL650.

now the kid and I combined tip the scales at around 300.
    The Imp didn’t like the 919 as the grab handle wasn’t comfortable, and they liked the DL650 and being up high. But they are ok with the Bonnie T100, but complains the seat is too hard at the start of the ride.

I would also look at Guzzis, and many of the 300-700 class standard bikes from all the makes.
    I know the OP found a bike, but in case someone else comes looking for the same idea.
    GeoAggie likes this.