Lightning Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by chainslap, Jan 7, 2019.

1. chainslap

chainslap BlessedarethesicK Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I searched but found nothing. Maybe I missed it. Why no mention of the LS bikes?

I can't afford one, but if I could, I'd spend my 35 grand on an ls218 over a mstr anyday.

The specs are pretty robust.

Check out the run on pikes peak a few years ago.

Has anyone seen, ridden or have any real world information on them?

I wrote the company asking for details. They were very friendly.

Wish I had the cash.

http://lightningmotorcycle.com/
    voltsxamps likes this.
  2. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    chainslap likes this.
  3. chainslap

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I see it now on the the third page of three pages at the almost very end.

Is it just too expensive to discuss amongst us mere poor mortals? Too sport focused?

Most of the other offerings are half the price with the exception of the Livewire.

The tech on these things seem to be above and beyond most of the other offerings. But I'm still learning.

I'm glad we have a E-Bike subsection here.

Oh, and this can be merged with the other thread by all means. Mods! Clean up on aisle 3. Thanks.
  4. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Well, I suppose this is the best place to continue discussion of Lightning Motorcycles.
    (Good suggestion ctromley)

:permazotToday, Lightning announced it will unveil its second bike in March called the Lightning Strike.

Seen from the teaser below: 150 miles range, 150 mph, 35 min DC charge.. for $12,998

[​IMG]

https://electrek.co/2019/01/17/lightning-electric-motorcycle-strike/

https://lightningmotorcycle.com/lightning-strikes-twice/

I am thrilled to hear Lightning coming out with a lower priced bike with very competitive performance to price specs.

An interview with Lightning’s president a year ago foreshadowed a bike in the works that would be in the “600cc class”, borrowing from the LS-218’s tech. This appears to be it.
  5. ultrarnr

ultrarnr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Color me skeptical. Will believe it when I see it. The LS-218 the way it is described on the Lightning web sight looks like a brand new 2010 motorcycle that is being offered in 2019. No mention of ABS, traction control, ride mode, model of DCFC etc. Very few photos of a road legal bike they might want to sell.I will guess that the 150 mile range is based on the same SAE test that H-D and Zero use and is done on a dyno, not a paved road with a real rider on it. When Energica first came out they were 35K +. They discovered the market for 35K+ bikes is quite small. I guess we will see in March.
    longslowdistance likes this.
  6. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    New Lightning electric motorcycle: 150 mph, 150 miles, 35 min charge, $13k
    https://electrek.co/2019/01/17/lightning-electric-motorcycle-strike/

Lightning Motorcycles releases upcoming Strike specs
    We don’t yet know how Lightning Strike will look, but we know how it will perform.

The company has announced an impressive array of specs for the upcoming electric motorcycle.

The Lightning Strike will be capable of hitting a top speed of 150 mph (241 km/h). The Strike should also feature a range of 150 miles (241 km).

While it has yet to be clarified, don’t expect that range to be at the bike’s top speed, or perhaps even highway speeds. Most manufacturers of electric motorcycles quote either an urban or mixed urban/highway range. Any way you slice it though, 150 miles of range and 150 mph top speed indicate that the Lightning Strike is definitely more than an urban commuter motorcycle. The bike is likely going to be able to hold its own against gas-powered sport bikes.

One of the biggest complaints about other electric motorcycles is that their reduced range and long charging times ruling out longer road trips and motorcycle touring. The Lightning Strike electric motorcycle seems to address this concern head on, offering 35 minute DC fast charging. Again, details are still sparse. Is this a full charge? 80% charge? Who knows at this point. We’ll have to wait for the official Strike unveiling in March to get the full details.

The last thing we know for sure is the price: $12,998.
    KneeDrachen likes this.
  7. norseXL

norseXL Northman

Oddometer:
    ...but what's the range @150...?
  8. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    Short.
    motorhead748 and 3sum like this.
  9. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    My guess is that Lightning can deliver on their claims, simply because falling short would be beyond stupid, which they're not. My main concern is that the Strike will be a sport bike with typical sport bike racer-crouch ergos. One reason for assuming that is the teaser photo, which looks like a pair of LS-218 headlights. That would make sense if only because it would allow them to use the same lights on the new model and avoid a big tooling cost - which they might extend to all the bodywork, at least at first.

It seems to me that their attractive price demands decent volume if they're going to make a profit, so a sport bike would be the wrong choice. I certainly would not be interested. But the flip side is that sport bikes get lots of press, and the lower volumes are probably a Very Good Idea while Lightning gets their legs under them as they undertake a HUGE ramp-up to even limited production compared to the very low build-to-order rates they've done with the LS-218. It also lets them work out the kinks in whatever they're doing to bypass a dealer network.

They damn well better follow up pretty quickly with a naked, or sport-tourer / gentlemans'-express version without the origami ergos. Sport bikes may be where their hearts are, but that's NOT where sales volumes are. Literbikes are probably more standard-bearers than big sellers, and 600 cc sport bikes (closer to the Strike's performance envelope) aren't selling well at all. A more upright naked, with a decent (optional?) windscreen and/or maybe limited bodywork is where the numbers are. Of course a new EM needs up-to-date charging options, TC/ABS/modes/etc. If they do all that with performance at the 600-800cc level they'll hit the electric version of the sweet spot for all-around road use. Like an electric Street Triple R.

When they do that they will have arrived, and may have trouble keeping up with demand. And they'll likely get my money.
    BuellCakes likes this.
  10. chainslap

Oddometer:
    That's exciting news.
  11. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    Electric Street Triple R you say?

[​IMG]
    chainslap likes this.
  12. tntmo

tntmo Oops, I did it again.

Oddometer:
    It can go one mile at 150 mph, or 150 miles at 1 mph.
  13. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    1mi
  14. Racerrrx

Racerrrx Long timer

Oddometer:
    clue: there's a whole room in this place for Ebike dorks to jerk each other off in...
    rd400racer and larryboy like this.
  15. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target

Oddometer:
    150 feet?

:dunno

all joking aside, this looks very promising and exciting
  16. dceggert

dceggert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Metro Detroit - almost like offroad riding
    I guess it makes sense with a 150 MPH top speed....but this looks like it will have a fairing. None of the others do!
  17. ZappBranigan

ZappBranigan Still Riding

Oddometer:
    Title says "Electric with 150MPG?"

So electricity comes in gallons now? :D
    sloryder likes this.
  18. alekkas

alekkas Long timer

Oddometer:
    So the price is a lot more in line than the earlier one. And, if true range is 100 or even 80 miles, that will work for a lot of people's commutes.
  19. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target

Oddometer:
    when you compress electricity, it turns into a liquid
  20. LowOnFuel

LowOnFuel In the crapper

Oddometer:
    To get the 35 minute recharge time you need a special DC charger, so what does the charger cost (or does it come with the bike purchase?) and what are the charger's installation requirements and is it small enough to take with you on a long trip (if it will plug into any normal 120v wall socket)?