Lightning Strike

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by voltsxamps, Jan 24, 2019.

1. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Lightning Strike 150 mph & 150 mile range electric motorcycle opens pre-orders today

Micah Toll - Jan. 24th 2019 12:00 pm ET

California-based Lightning Motorcycles recently announced plans to debut their new Lightning Strike electric motorcycle in March.

But in a surprise move, the company has decided to begin taking pre-orders early, meaning potential riders can start reserving their Strike today.

Lightning Motorcycles dropped the veil of secrecy surrounding their upcoming electric motorcycle just one week ago today. After we broke the news here on Electrek, the bike spread like wildfire around the internet.

With impressive specs including a 150 mph (241 km/h) top speed, 150 mile (242 km) range, 35 minute DC fast charging and a base price of just $12,998, the Lightning Strike received praise far and wide despite the only image of the bike being its front headlights.

Apparently, the volume of interest generated by the announcement was enough to speed up the company’s plans.

As VP of Communications Matt Schulwitz explained in an email to Electrek:

“Based on an unexpectedly high number of customer requests received after the initial Strike announcement, Lightning is officially announcing the opening of reservations for US customers.”

[​IMG]

Lightning Strike pre-order available in two versions

Riders placing pre-orders will be able to choose between two versions of the Lightning Strike electric motorcycle.

The Strike Standard Reservation is available for a fully refundable $500 deposit. The starting price will be the previously announced $12,998, and there will be additional configurable options available.

The Strike Carbon Edition Reservation has a much steeper buy in, available for a fully refundable $10,000 deposit. The Strike Carbon Edition is fully configured with every available option included on the bike.

The Strike Carbon Edition will be the first-in-production model, while the Strike Standard will begin production after the Strike Carbon Edition.

[​IMG]

https://electrek.co/2019/01/24/strike-electric-motorcycle-pre-order/

http://lightningmotorcycle.com/

Well, I wasn’t expecting pre-orders to begin until the official unveiling in March, but then again, I was one of the hundreds of thousands who pre-ordered a Model 3 before it was officially unveiled, so, I suppose it makes sense, though I would point out that Tesla had a long list of people who were already waiting for Model S & Model X at the time, where as Lightning may not (I could be mistaken) have quite so many people waiting for an LS-218. In either case, there’s apparently enough interest for Lightning to start pre-orders today. Similarly, the $500 deposit (10k deposit for a carbon edition) is fully refundable (a la Tesla), and helps gauge commitment, which is a smart way to deliver bikes in the order they were reserved, project production/tooling costs, and procure supplies in advance to better control overhead, staffing, and manufacturing costs.

The Carbon Edition will have “every available option included” and will come out first according to Lightning’s website. It’s also inferred that the $12,998 price is for the base Strike, which options can be added to.

[​IMG]
    RCmoto and firstshadow like this.
  2. mhpr262

mhpr262 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not to be a party pooper, but there will most likely be several different versions with different battery capacities ... and I expect the cheapest version, the one that you will actually be able to buy for $12,998, to have more like 80 or 90 miles of range. The version with the biggest battery for the full 150 mile range will probably be far more expensive.
  3. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Uh, did I miss something? I thought all we knew so far is 150, 150, 13000 and LS-218 headlights.

AFAIK, no one knows if this is a sport bike, naked, streetfighter, gentleman's express or whatever. If I'm going to put a deposit down, it kinda matters. Some kind of hint about options would be nice too.

String up the marketing bozos and tell us what you're doing. I have no patience for being jerked around.

Their RESERVE page also mentions free shipping. Which begs the still-open question regarding dealers and whether they have any - and if not, how they intend to handle service, recalls, post-sale option installation, etc. All this stuff is doable, but tell us how (or if?) you plan to do it. That kinda matters too.

I'm too old for this crap. Look, I get the part about building buzz. If you want me to put money down, tell me what it's for or I'm going to start wondering if you know. Three numbers and headlights is a pretty low hurdle. Try something higher. Shoot straight with me or I'll deal with someone who can.

Speak up before Zero and Ducati do.
    lucky6600, gmk999 and Chaostrophy like this.
  4. Chaostrophy

Chaostrophy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup. The specs sounds great, but..... All those details you mention.
  5. Crilly

Crilly Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If the carbon fiber deposit is twenty times the deposit on the 13000.00 bike. Does that mean it costs $260,000.00?
    voltsxamps likes this.
  6. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Details for the base model are up on the lightning web site now. Surprisingly quoted range seems to be for the base model.

Given the performance is up with high end sports bikes the price is pretty reasonable, certainly a lot more reasonable than hardly interested :)
    voltsxamps likes this.
  7. Bolzen

Bolzen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've bookmarked the bike page, so did reserve one. Wish i could help the trend more thou.
  8. ultrarnr

ultrarnr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Completely agree with ctromley on this. Everyone is getting excited about the range. I will bet it is SAE testing which is done on a dyno and real world riding on a road range will not even be close to 150 miles. Why would anyone put down a deposit when you have no idea what style of bike you are putting a deposit down on? We have no idea what 13K really does get you.
  9. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    http://lightningmotorcycle.com/product/specifications/

They claim 100 highway and it's a super-sports bike.The price is very reasonable for a 200HP bike.
    Admitted I'd want to see real numbers for range but with the big and undoubtedly very expensive battery pack it meets your 150miles highway. That won't be 13k :).

380V 12 kwh battery pack
    (Range of 100-120 miles per charge)
    380V 15 kwh battery pack
    (Range of 120-150 miles per charge)
    380V 20 kwh battery pack
    (Range of 160-180 miles per charge)
  10. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are incorrect. That link is specs for the LS-218 with a base price of $39k, not the Strike.
  11. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    Folks complaining about the lack of specs, or speculating about the real specs, or complaining about the company taking preorders before full specs ar released: Get over it.

Lightning has no obligation to do things the way you want. If you don't like the way they are doing it, don't put down a deposit.
  12. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been involved with EVs for two decades. It is a field filled with failed ventures and broken promises. The worst thing anyone can do is to give the naysayers reason to doubt. Because they will not only doubt, they will morph that doubt into 'proof' that EVs aren't practical.

Even as Tesla, Zero and other EV manufacturers are showing that EVs are here to stay, I know of at least one manufacturer (rarely if ever mentioned here on ADVRider) who has been taking deposits and promising capabilities for years - which they will almost certainly never be able to deliver. And it will hurt the industry again. Every time it happens it's hard to recover.

I have no issue with Tesla taking pre-orders for the Model III when all Tesla said was that it was a smaller, more affordable car. At least we knew it was a car (as in sedan), and how it would be sold and serviced since Tesla's unique approach was already known.

There's a video on the Lightning site where the founder mentions the LS-218 would be built as a limited, 45-bike run. There is a page where you can apply to become a dealer, but who would want to if there are only 45 bikes in the global fleet to sell or service? It is reasonable to expect that currently the total number of Lightning dealers is zero. Now they appear to be releasing a mass-market new bike, with no dealer network whatsoever, and if they have some clever, cutting edge work-around for that they have said not a word about it. And seriously, who wants to put money down on a vehicle without even knowing what market segment it's for? Would you put down a deposit on a Tesla not knowing if it was an urban runabout or a truck? We don't even deserve the courtesy of knowing if the Strike is a sport bike that many won't consider simply because of the ergos?

At worst it smells a bit like a scam (which I do not think it is), at best it's a clunky and amateurish stumble before the bike is even released. Neither of these is an image Lightning should be presenting to a significantly EV-skeptical motorcycling public. I have little doubt they can produce a Strike that will be a market leader. Why make yourself look like you're a two-guys-in-a-garage operation? Why give the haters more ammo?

If you want buzz, guide the buzz properly - fill in the serious holes in your story that give people reason to doubt. Not doing so is the worst you can do for EVs in general.
    comradecasey, Ray R, yokesman and 2 others like this.
  13. RCmoto

RCmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well the deposit is fully refundable, so order then cancel later depending...
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  14. Paebr332

Oddometer:
    Ctromley, Lightning, like Tesla, has its roots and production facility in Silicon Valley. Both companies think more like software startups than like vehicle manufacturers. Having worked for a Silicon Valley company for about a decade, the Strike marketing does not surprise me in the least.

BTW, there are no general media news reports about the Strike. The only news is on motorcycle or tech news sites. In other words, the vast majority of the population has not even heard of this tempest in a tea pot. All this will be moot in 5-10 weeks anyway.
  15. mantan

mantan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fully refundable unless they go insolvent. Which has happened to many such startups.
  16. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, that depends on how the deposits are handled. I think they can set up a third party bank to hold the funds, then borrow against them (or more likely some proportion of them to account for refunds). Maybe there's an insurance policy in place to protect the bank. Not sure of the details, but because I know little of Lightning so far and the business side of their operation appears to be a bit sloppy judging from the handling of teasers and deposits, I'd want to know what those details are before signing on. Never assume when handing out money, especially with nothing but a promise in return.
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  17. Paebr332

Oddometer:
    Per the US bankrputcy code, consumer prepaid deposits have relatively high repayment priority, up to the first $2,600. So if you put down money for the base model, your repayment comes ahead of all unsecured debt, and all taxes owed. Now, if you put $10k down on the full fat bike, well then you could end up getting only about a quarter of it back.

Or, put the deposit on your credit card. Per the Fair Credit Billing Act, you can dispute the charge if you never receive your merchandise, and the credit card company must refund your payment.
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  18. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Y'know, the irony is not lost on me that even if all my questions regarding Lightning and the Strike had the worst possible answers, I'd still be the dream customer for one. Former Superbike race mechanic, mechanical product development engineer and 20 year veteran of EV development. Who better to deal with an orphan EM assuming there is no dealer? Or keep it running if Lightning goes belly up? I have contacts to replace or hack all the major drive components and can design and fabricate (or have fabricated) anything needed. (I've even figured out how to modify the fairing and install a sport-touring windshield and bars on the LS-218, in case the Strike uses the same sport bike bodywork.) Hell, I'm qualified to run an east coast service/distribution hub (like what should be nearly outfitted and ready as this is written, even if it's just a small, rented office/warehouse space).

And I'm the one giving them grief.

But damn it, based on the LS-218 they might have the best shot at being the standard-bearer for affordable EMs. They could be the one to do for motorcycles what Tesla did for cars. It just terrifies me that going from a build-to-order, one-at-a-time boutique builder to a-bike-a-day production level is a big leap, and I don't know if they're up to it. (Example: Do they even know what an MRP system is? It's not something they'd need at all at their current build rates, but it's absolutely crucial in real production. If not, they wouldn't be the first manufacturer I've encountered trying to function without one. That would be a HUGE mistake.)

It's a perilous situation. Failure could be a big blow to the EM market. I do have my fingers crossed, and hope to have my fears proven wrong. Maybe this is all just due to them being very busy. Or that they still have a lot to learn about branding and messaging. (Probably both.)

I'll try to keep my fears to myself from now on.
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  19. Chaostrophy

Chaostrophy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the urge to give them $500, but, not sure I want to come up with the rest.
    flei likes this.
  20. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll let others be the pioneers

One definition of a pioneer is a guy with an arrow in his back
    kpinvt likes this.