Lights-Hella's PIAA's

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Jim Kelleher, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Jim Kelleher

Jim Kelleher Circus Bear

Oddometer:
    Just back from Trenton where I saw tons of BMW's having those little micro-brite lights mounted to their forks down by the front wheel. I personally didn't care for the lights or the mounting location. I thought the PIA 520's were really sharp looking but got this song-and-dance from the CBT imports guy who claimed that there was no good way to mount them on an R1100GS. Well, I looked at every R1100GS on the grounds at Trenton with auxillary lighting and spoke to as many owners as I could. There were several with the PIA 520's mounted to a variety of different manufacturers aluminum bars that bolted to the bottom of the oil coolers. Then spoke to a guy who actally manufacures one of these bars down in Florida. he claims that his bar is lightweight and has a huge advantage over the sturdier bar because if you go down the bar will sanp off as opposed to the bottom of your oil cooler with those sturdier bars. I thought this solved my problem until I talked with a guy who sold lighting for 12 years. He didn't care for the 520's from a perforemance standpoint and asked me why I wanted to add lights to my bike? I told him that I don't ride a lot at night but when I do I live near "deer alley" so basically I am looking to improve my daytime visability AND put out more light to the sides of the road after dark. He suggested Hella's mounted on my wunderlich crash bars, a white one on the right for visibility (we drive on the right in the US) and a fog/yellow on the left. Sounds extremely logical. Wanted to hear the collective thoughts of the asylum on this.

Thanks for your time and input.
  2. Brainfry

Brainfry Can't put a price on fun!

Oddometer:
    My suggestion would be to search the forums for "piaa" "fog lights"
    "visibility" "amber" etc... there are TONS of threads dealing with the topic.
    Me? I had the same concerns and went with the PIAA 1000x, martin
    bracket and Run-n-lites to help daytime visibility...
  3. Timberwoof

Timberwoof Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got a pair of PIAA 40 driving lights mounted on my R1100GS with a Top-of-the-Line bar. The trick is to keep the bolts just loose enough that the lights will fold back.

I want to get a pair of real fog lights to mont on the engine bars, but the trick is the bracket. The engine bars are all at odd angles and it's difficult to get a nice-looking solution that won't melt or block air flow.
  4. Jim Kelleher

Jim Kelleher Circus Bear

Oddometer:
    WHY do you want the lights to go back?
  5. stevekat

stevekat Just GSsssing

Oddometer:
    I have a set of PIAA 40's with the Euro switch and CBT bar. It works nice, though I have not landed on the lights as of yet. I purchased the 40's as driving lights, but ordered a replacement fog lens, so I ride with a driving light on the left, and a fog on the right, both of which can be activated when the high beam is on. Seems to work well. I set it up this way so the driving light is aimed to the middle of the roadway, away from oncoming traffic.

BTW, the big advantage I see to the moto-lites is that they are reasonably steerable. At high speeds in curves, the bikes static head lights and auxillary lights are not aiming where the bike will go - so the roadway is still dark. I have an old set of moto-lites I may install, in addition to the PIAA's.

FYI, if you have 40's, order a new/spare relay or harness. I believe the older units (relay looks like a brick) have a fuse built into the relay, which is encased in a polymer. If the fuse has a reason to go it cannot be reset or replaced, you have to replace the unit and have no auxillary lights until you do - I was able to order a replacement to have as a spare - of a new design. There are no more of the original parts available.

Lastly, regarding the moto-lites. Where most folks mount them, they are not sprung. It probably adds to them getting rattled around a bunch (possibly premature bulb failure - which doesn't matter because moto-lites replaces bulbs for free). This unsprung mounting is good if you want to keep the moto-lites on all the time and not blind oncoming traffic. Set them once, and you should be OK. Otherwise, if you load stuff on the back of the bike, or carry a passenger, or both, traditionally mounted static driving lights inevitably change their aim higher, annoying oncoming traffic. With the moto-lites mounted unsprung on the lower fork, this geometry change is not an issue.
  6. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    Jim....I have the PIAA 510's on my GS and I feel they work ( and look ) just fine.....however, I kinda think that they might actually attract wildlife to the road....on my first nite ride with them I hit a 'coon and have had several encounters with critters in the last couple of weeks...as to some of the other lights out there, people who have the Motolights seem to really like them, including Rob Lentini, MOA treas, who seems to know his stuff. Personally, I don't really care for their looks. On my KRS, I have the PIAA 125/135 Super White bulb and that puppy will burn a whole thru ya......great bulb but bit a little pricey but certainly alot cheaper than a set of PIAA's and a bar and a switch
  7. Marc

Marc Just sayin...

Oddometer:
    Relocating thread from "Flea Market" to "Equipment"...

MPM