Lightweight 790 Pic & Build Thread

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by MaineDrummer, Aug 11, 2019.

1. MaineDrummer

MaineDrummer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This thread is dedicated to those 790 owners who believe less is more, that 2 cylinders only make for a better single-track experience, and that by achieving the highest possible horsepower to weight ratio, they may cast off the laws of gravity, the restraints to time travel, and the commoner's plaque of dirt-naps, and be granted the privilege and right of being first to arrive at the malted barley refreshment shop at the end of a long, rock-strewn, muddy, perpetually uphill, barely suitable for walking, narrow and slippery, epic trail. For those who say, "Yes, those extra 5 grams of weight DO make my bike look fat, and Kim Kardashian's ass will not be my bike's role model or influencer, as its surely a sign of the pending apocalypse!", here is your throne to cast the glory of your super-model svelt 790 upon the unwashed brotherhood of dirt surface travelers so they may bow before you and bestow adoration and praise.

Present your royal beast for all to behold!
    shooter_t1, kzeb, Jeremy K and 3 others like this.
  2. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No teaser pics? No list of titanium bits? No single caliper set-up shots on the thinnest lightest rims known to man?

I feel so cheated... *Sigh*

My bike may take the path towards Anorexia over the winter but not until after an upcoming trip where the trouble to lose weight would be offset by a months worth of gear. It would be like a fat chick buying a 6 pack of diet soda.
    nibby likes this.
  3. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    it'll be fun to see if you guys can best a 20 yr old bike the swedes built and still hasnt been matched for weight, displacement or suspension travel.
    kzeb likes this.
  4. Torque

Torque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 990 weighs in at 460lbs with some gas on board. I am likely picking up a 790R when the inventory is fat and will be putting her on a diet as well. Then I will build suspension that will blow the Rally suspension off the map. Oops, did I say that out loud?
    This is the thread I have been waiting for. Thanks for posting it up.
    E-luke likes this.
  5. SteadyStare

SteadyStare Adventurer wannabe

Oddometer:
    Definitely interested to see what people come up with here. My 790 probably won't start shedding pounds until December. Hopefully you've all perfected the diet by then.
  6. Janus9

Janus9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love threads like this.

In.
  7. MaineDrummer

MaineDrummer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Perhaps Nowwhat's bike will be the first to lead what will surely be a long procession of long and cool bikes... just like those the Hollies were really alluding to:

Jimmy the Heater likes this.
  8. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    He’s definitely about to win the race for most tricked out.
  9. MaineDrummer

MaineDrummer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll reserve this spot for him....
  10. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer:
    My eyes are on this.
  11. they

they bewilderness

Oddometer:
    I wanna do one of these, but I'm going to start with an 890 Duke R, when they come out this fall. Four inch shorter wheelbase, smaller in most dimensions than an Adventure 790, quite a bit lighter, and they come with a nice set of street wheels/tires.

The plan is to use Ohlins suspension set up for about eight inches of travel, stiff enough so that it will absorb the stuff that a high speed dirt road would present at that limited travel, and still retain most of the "scalpel-ness" on the street. Exhaust will be replaced by a thin wall stainless system that I will build that looks a lot the one on a 305 scrambler. The subframe will be put under the bench and replaced with one that looks a lot like the one on a 500 exe. Might make the space under the seat into a second gas tank. The stock tank will be replaced with one that doesn't look like a bulbous "transformers" appendage. All of the electronic riders aids will be retained. 18 and 21 inch wheelset for knobbies, of course.

These things pass Euro 5 smog rules, which implies very mild cam timing. I see that the cams have gears that are attached to the cams which suggests that they could be degreed in without much work. Current rumors are that they make 115 to 120 horsepower. I would be surprised if they couldn't be coaxed to make 135 to 140 with cams and a full "de-cork".

The goal here is to build something that does all of the goofy shit that my longtime Super Enduro does, but much lighter, smaller and newer, and more of it. Goals are 135 horsepower with good grunt, less than 350 pounds ready to ride without fuel, and handy enough so that I am not deterred as much from going into really tight stuff as I am with the 950SE.
    SpeedyR likes this.
  12. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer:
    I don´t think we got a choice regarding electronic rider aids.
    4" is a LOT with 135hp on dirt.
  13. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    I"ll be waiting to see how this pans out. My 950 SE is 452# with 4 gallons of fuel, basic tools, tubes, levers, the usual full day ride off road kinda stuff (weighed it with some accurate scales at the start of the LBL200 DS ride a few years ago). Plenty of power, suspension travel and protection, but wish it were about 40-50lbs lighter. Don't we all. :)

I"m guessing that there won't be a way to get a well set up 790 down to that range but I'd love to see one (and ride it!).
  14. Janus9

Janus9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That’s pretty light all things considered.

How much do you think the tools and parts weigh?

790 R is around that weight wet so maybe it could be done.

I’m with you though, under 400 would be nice, but I believe that is unicorn/factory race type of weight.
  15. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bet you could get pretty close to 400 with a full ti exhaust, lithium battery, full ti hardware kit, carbon fiber rally-esque fairing, and the right wheels and tires, and ditched everything else.
    Maybe not full of fuel, but certainly wet otherwise.
    I certainly don't have the wallet to support such shenanigans, but it doesn't seem too unreasonable from a "can it be done" perspective.
  16. Brilloman

Brilloman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone shed the stock chain yet? It’s a 520 pitch but super HEAVY duty compared to a regular 520 o-ring chain. The reason I ask is because I added two teeth to the rear sprocket and replaced the stock chain with a 520 DID ERV3 X ring and I am a little concerned whether it’s going to hold up. The challenge with shedding weight is sacrificing durability.

A carbon fiber skid plate would be a great addition in both protection and weight. Most other skid plates are going to add weight. Again sacrificing weight for durability.
  17. they

they bewilderness

Oddometer:
    Dry weights I have seen for a Duke 790 range from 373 pounds, to 392 pounds. If 373 is correct, 350 will be a piece of cake. 392 down to 350 would be more work. Something to consider, a 690/701 weighs 320 dry, according to KTM. The difference in weight between a 790 motor and a 690 is 22 pounds, again, according to KTM. So if one were to stuff a 790 motor into a 701 chassis, one might expect a weight around 345 pounds. I guess we'll see. I'm looking at scales accurate within 1 pound.
    Bhart89 likes this.
  18. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    520 ERV3 is rated for up to 750cc

520 ZVM-X is rated for up to 1200cc

http://www.didchain.com/PDF/DID_2014usa_final.pdf
    Brilloman likes this.
  19. Brilloman

Brilloman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! That is good info. I guess I will find out this weekend if it will hold up to a 790 while I am riding in Squamish with Chris Birch.
    CaseyB and windblown101 like this.
  20. MaineDrummer

MaineDrummer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Who will be the first to present their svelte and mighty steed?