Lightweight adventure food?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Nine90, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Nine90

Nine90 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I read with interest some of these minimalist adventure blogs ... like this one which is very good

https://therollinghobo.com/2015/01/riding-light-cooking.html

With all this cooking stuff there’s plans to be away from civilisation for a few days ... so what food do you carry without the Engel/Waeco?
  2. Redback

Redback Average aussie bloke

Oddometer:
    Noodles, tin food, small 250ml long life milks, tea coffee you can put those in small plastic containers, I have a Trangia stove, all your fresh food is bought when you need fuel, some servos have showers, especially in the bush, if the servo or the pub has food treat yourself to a good meal.

It's the same principle as if you're in the 4B, you're just packing lighter, oh and whatever you do DON'T buy those dehydrated food packs from camping stores:puke2

Uncle Toms rice packs are good as are Continental Pasta packs from Woolies or Coles, Tom Piper tinned Creamed Rice is a good dessert, as is fruit cake, especially if you add long life cream to it, it last a while too:dukegirl:thumb

All the other staples like baked beans, soups and the like, a mate of mine never carried a pot, just a small gas stove, he used to heat the tinned food over the stove and then re-use the tins as pots and drink containers, remember the old Harvest braised steak & vegies tin food, they make a good bowl/pot.

My tent is 2.7kg(new) my old one was around the same, my camp bed is 3kg, my chair is about 2kg and folds up smaller than the tent.

Keep your drinking water separate to your water for cleaning if possible and always carry water.

Hope this helps.

ps, don't forget cheese and cracker snack packs too.
    Tenerrod and billyt53 like this.
  3. rutsthematter

rutsthematter Yes they are

Oddometer:
  4. Redback

Redback Average aussie bloke

Oddometer:
    You gotta watch this, this should make your mind up about the dehydrated packs.

5. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    Just remember that canned food tins are lined with plastic. I wouldn't be cooking in one.
    itsgunnahurt, Marto71 and Farmer Roy like this.
  6. Coastie3202

Coastie3202 King of MY Mountain

Oddometer:
    Pop Tarts
    ThumperStorm likes this.
  7. ThumperStorm

ThumperStorm Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 on pop tarts. I like packages of instant potatoes and instant gravy, the ones I buy say they serve 4 which makes one good meal for me, just add hot water. I also bring a jar of peanut butter and squeeze in some honey and eat it with a spoon, I think it tastes good and there are a lot of calories in it. I always have some cliff bars with me too.
  8. Gunerdo

Gunerdo fromwanerbe

Oddometer:
  9. farqhuar

farqhuar Human guinea pig

Oddometer:
    All I can say is thank goodness we can't buy that crap in Oz. :lol3

I think my children tried them ONCE when I was living in North America. Bit like twinkies (not exactly the same taste) - pure unadulterated artificial tasting pap full of chemicals and preservatives.. :puke2
  10. diabolik37

diabolik37 Deadly Gubba

Oddometer:
  11. mytmav

mytmav bike & fourby junky

Oddometer:
    Debs mashed potatoes packets, as mashed potato totally crap, but used over spam before you fry the slices it’s like a tempura batter. Even better if used over fresh whiting dipped in egg. Yum yum .
    Dean Ohlin likes this.
  12. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    jtb and ThumperStorm like this.
  13. ThumperStorm

ThumperStorm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pop tarts have been around for over 50 years. :clap Over 2 billion sold a year! :super Never ate one that tasted like a twinkie...sounds good! :dukegirl ....YMMV :lol3
  14. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Dried water packs down fairly small.

:hide
    bigborett and mytmav like this.
  15. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    That would be dehydrated water. Very small indeed, and light weight.

Yesterday dehydrated mangoes.
    Today dehydrating green capsicum.
    Tomorrow ... broccoli

-----------------
    For motorcycle travel tinned food does very well. If you have to lug it on your back - dehydrate or freeze dried are better.

Shelling pistachios looses half the weight...
  16. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Over here, I go to the supermarket and scan through the dried soups, noodle mixes, etc. I carry lots of dry spices and a few things like cooking oil, chili oil, maybe some rice vinegar. Add some tinned meat or fish. Couscous, meat and spices is quick and decent.
    Same thing I do for backpacking food.
  17. woollybugger

woollybugger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I keep a couple of cases of Mountain House dehydrated food at home for emergency use. It's supposedly good for 30 years. I bring a few packets whenever I go camping, so as to slowly cycle through my stock. It's not bad at all. But I still prefer cooking real food on a cast iron pan.
  18. mytmav

mytmav bike & fourby junky

Oddometer:
    Just flicked thru the vid and what they didn’t touch on was salt content. In the dehydrated packets they usually have high salt content, which can be good and bad. If you’ve been sweating all day it’s good to replace your salts, however if you haven’t, high salt will make you drink more water which you still have to carry.
    The dog test was funny as they said the dehydrated food had a high protein content, the dog went for the dehydrated food. The reason a lot of dogs eat their or other dogs shit is cause it has high protein content, which to me means the dehydrated stuff takes like shit:lol3
    AUSSIEADV, Dick0, Redback and 3 others like this.
  19. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    My tin of canned heat is empty. Where can I get a refill done? :dunno
    toecutta and DESERT WIND like this.
  20. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    Try going up the country