Lillooet Loop

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by MidLifeCrisis, Sep 12, 2020.

1. MidLifeCrisis

MidLifeCrisis Wannabe

Oddometer:
    One of my favorite day trips is the Lillooet Loop in British Columbia and I had an opportunity to ride it yesterday (September 11, 2020). I haven’t posted a ride report in a long time so I thought I’d share some of my enthusiasm for this ride. I tried to capture some of the beauty of the ride while keeping my bike in the picture.

[​IMG]

My preference is to ride it counter clockwise because I prefer to ride the Sea to Sky Highway at the end.

[​IMG]

My bike, by the way, is a 2008 FZ6, which is perfect for this ride.

[​IMG]

The start for me is in North Vancouver. A check of road conditions shows the Second Narrows Bridge is clear (one of the few benefits of the pandemic). Off I go!
    dixda likes this.
  2. MidLifeCrisis

MidLifeCrisis Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Highway 7 Coquitlam to Hope

I prefer Highway 7 to Highway 1 because it is much more interesting. There are plenty of saw mills along the river and I like the smell of fresh cut cedar.

[​IMG]

The road goes through farm country – here is some famous Chilliwack corn.

[​IMG]

There are a bunch of small communities along the way. Here is half of the town of Dewdeney.

[​IMG]

The other half is across the road.

The scenery is quite nice. Here I just crossed the Harrison River.

[​IMG]

There is a nice healthy mix of straight and curved sections. You can see the impact of smoke from wildfires south of the border.

[​IMG]

The road passes under a gas transmission line. You can see some people up there doing some maintenance.

[​IMG]

Here is the town of Hope, BC. It has two claims to fame – chain saw art and this is where John Rambo had a tiff with local law enforcement in 1982.

[​IMG]

Haze from the fires is quite visible.

[​IMG]
    N-Id-Jim likes this.
  3. MidLifeCrisis

MidLifeCrisis Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Highway 1 Hope to Lytton

The Fraser Canyon is always fun to ride. There are great views of the canyon below and epic mountain views.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At times the highway is quite high above the river

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got stuck in traffic for 15 minutes waiting for some rock scaling to be completed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    N-Id-Jim likes this.
  4. MidLifeCrisis

MidLifeCrisis Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Highway 12 Lytton to Lillooet

At the town of Lytton the view opens up and we get another nice look at the Fraser River.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The countryside is very dry here with nice pine forests and lots of rugged mountains. Highway 12 is a nice 64 km highway to ride – lots of curves, straights and little traffic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This section is single lane and always has rock on it.

[​IMG]

Looking back

[​IMG]

Plenty of opportunities to have the bike pose for a picture

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I went exploring a bit north of Lillooet along Highway 99. I went about 30 km, up to a construction site.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    powderzone, N-Id-Jim and dixda like this.
  5. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    I've only done this ride once, counter clockwise starting in Hope. It was an enjoyable ride, though very hot. Thanks for the reminder.
  6. MidLifeCrisis

MidLifeCrisis Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Highway 99 Lillooet to Pemberton

The mountains here are more green and lush. Riding close to Cayoosh Creek gave me the occasional blast of cold air on an otherwise hot day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lots of places to pose for pictures, but I had to be quick to keep ahead of the cars. There aren’t too many places to pass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Obligatory shots of Duffy Lake

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I’m kind of glad Joffre Lakes is closed to the public. I find riding the switchbacks much more enjoyable without being stuck behind a tour bus or land yacht. No pictures, though.

Here a couple of shots of the north end of Lillooet Lake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ride from Pemberton to North Vancouver is always fun, but it gets crowded around Whistler. I took it easy on the ride home.

The day’s ride was 632 km and it took a little over 9 hours with all of the picture stops.
  7. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope to loop that loop next year. Thanks for posting the great pics. Cheers!