"Liquid" container bags

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Scribe, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Please note: if you just stumbled on this thread and are looking for bags, I am no longer selling them and am out of stock.

A couple months ago, I was looking for a way to carry extra fuel on my 690. I didn't like the looks (or prices) of larger gas tanks and I didn't want to go with a Rotopax because it seemed like a clunky solution requiring additional mounts to move from bike to bike. Plus the tank hangs off your bike like a goiter whether full or empty.

Then I was riding with a friend who had rubberized, foldable container. But when I went to buy one, they weren't sold in the U.S. anymore. Probably something to do with the new rules about venting, flow-prevention mechanisms, etc. Somewhere along the line some little kid got a face full of fuel and now simple red plastic gas cans are pretty much FUBAR.

So I got to Googlin' and found this:

[​IMG]

It's a 7-liter jerry can made in China. Perfect for motorcycle use. Folds up small enough to fit easily in my Andy Strapz soft panniers, tough and comes with a spout.

[​IMG]

I put the grommets in this one. The next batch will have them installed from the factory.
    [​IMG]

Clipped to keep it folded for the pic
    [​IMG]

Can also be rolled, but you have to take out the spout.
    [​IMG]

Material is 1/8 thick TPU.
    [​IMG]

And it's tough. Here it is filled with water. I weigh 195 pounds in street clothes.

[​IMG]

* Note that this a "liquid" containment bag. It does not meet U.S. regulations for portable fuel containers, so you are not buying it as such. Carry water in it. Wine. Transmission or other automotive fluids. It's got many uses and I don't know and I don't care what you put in it. That's your business.

Cost: $56 plus shipping to you, which I estimate will be about $7-$9 CONUS. If you live somewhere else you'd pay actual shipping.

If there's enough interest I'll put in the order. It takes about two months to get them from China. If not, I've got mine and I'll just motor happily down the road.
    TonyKZ1 and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  2. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    July 7 update:

New shipment has arrived!

Want a bag? Send me a PM with your address and I'll shoot you a shipped price. That's all there is to it.

Note: I went with a faster shipping option from China this time, and Paypal takes a bite, so I've raised the price to

$56 plus shipping.

Figure $6-$10 shipping CONUS for one bag, depending on how far you are from Arkansas. Two bags can be crammed into a USPS Priority flat rate box for $12.65 to anywhere in the US. So you should probably just go ahead and buy two bags. :deal

Get 'em while supplies last!

HOW TO ORDER:
    1) Send me a PM with your screen name, real name and address.
    2) I will reply with your total and my Paypal info. If you don't do Paypal I can take a check, but the bags don't ship until your check clears. Your total will include cost of the bags and shipping, which runs $6-$10, depending on how far you are from Arkansas. I can cram two into a flat rate usps box for $12.65. More than than I will have to get back to you with an exact price. You will pay as close to exact shipping as I can get.
    2.5) IMPORTANT: If you paypal, put your name or screen name in the notes field with your payment so I know who you are.
    kenaroo likes this.
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    That sure is cheaper than other legit fuel bladders from Liquid Containment from OZ etc. & less bulky than gas cans from various sources and vendors.

I assume you've tested it to make sure no "liquid" vapor smell comes through.
    Some use MSR Dromety bags which does allow vapor smell and thus a negative.

You find that on Alibaba?
    I have interest
  4. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    My admittedly limited testing indicates no stink from the bag. It seems fairly impermeable. Yes, found it on Alibaba.
  5. flyingbryan

flyingbryan n00b

Oddometer:
    You can count me in for at least 1 but possibly more.

Bryan
  6. NOTAGAIN

NOTAGAIN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also have interest.
  7. AyCaramba2007

AyCaramba2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Would like to see your mounting method to your bike. Looks like a good idea
  8. CodyECSL

CodyECSL Taco Inspector

Oddometer:
    Greatest country in the world, TX (DFW area)
    I'm in.
  9. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Count me in if they'll ship to Canada please...
  10. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    The grommets are about the size of a bungee cord hook, not that I would bungee this down to my bike mind you. :deal

My plan is to put small loops of paracord through each eyelet and secure the bag with Rok Straps. That way I can tie it to the top of my duffle that rides on the tail of the bike, or to the rack if I'm not carrying luggage. I'll get some pics to show you what I mean.
  11. effensteve

effensteve Enjoying the ride

Oddometer:
    Put me on the list also please. Looks like a good solution for those long trips
  12. advrider963

advrider963 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks good. I am good for 1. Let me know what to do next. Thanks
  13. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am intersted...was going to buy the msr dromady

But your bag is to large, i only need about 1 gallon or 4 litets, was going to use 2 of 2l msr bladders one on each side.

Can you get this in a 2l size ?

scott
  14. silverdog

silverdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds good... Let me know... Thanks..
  15. 81forest

81forest ADDRider

Oddometer:
    Please mark me down for "will buy." This is very cool, I was about to buy the msr as well. Bigger than I need, but no need to fill it all the way.
  16. reubenRN

reubenRN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in, was debating about the msr for a while, this seems like a better idea.
  17. wcisse

wcisse Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in. This will be great for my bikes, quad and sled. Thanks for doing this!

Wayne
  18. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Not sure they make them in that size. Still interested?
  19. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Nothing. Got you on the list. Looks like there will be enough interest to put in the order but I'm going to hold it until mid week. I'll let you know when I put in the order. Then you wait. Cheapest shipping is on an apparently very slow boat from China because it's 50 to 60 days. Faster shipping is available, but way expensive.
  20. 2Fat2Pedal

2Fat2Pedal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks