"Liquid" container bags

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Scribe, Jan 24, 2015.

1. cchristo

cchristo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I made mine. Here's the short version. I folded a piece of nylon laminated canvas duck material over the bag with the fold on the bottom. Traced the back side around the container. I traced about 1.5 inches away from the edges on the Front side. I then marked where I wanted my loops to go. I cut it leaving a little extra to play with during dry fitting.
    I made the loops out of the same material and sewed them on.
    After a few trial fittings and some trimming, I sprayed heavy duty adhesive to the container and the material and carefully laminated the material to the container.

It'll go pretty good as long as you do a few dry runs and strategic trimming before applying the glue. Use masking tape to keep glue off any parts of the material you don't want it on. It's some nasty stuff if gets anywhere you don't want it!

If all that is too much effort, buried somewhere in this thread is a reference to a guy who can make one up for you to a professional standard.

Front:
    [​IMG]

Back:

[​IMG]
    101, redrock88 and JagLite like this.
  2. grace

grace Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    i just ordered one from the website.

to those who have purchased and used these liquid containers, what's the feedback? vapor? durability? issues? caveats? tips? benefits?

thank you.
  3. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Lock em up if you don't want em to disappear. They blow dromedary bags right out of the water.
    They're built like tanks from thick multi ply fabric reinforced synthetic stuff. Mine don't leak, seep or reek and the spouts a good length and plenty flexible.
    JagLite and grace like this.
  4. grace

Oddometer:
    thank eatmore mudd.

btw, for anyone considering the desert fox 5000 bladder. don't. i bought one and after only a couple of uses, the inner liner punctured, apparently from the fuel nozzle at the gas station. fuel leaked into an outer liner (not the outer fabric) which meant squeezing bag to get the fuel back into the inner liner before i could get fuel out of the bag. a waste of money.
    Dao1 and JagLite like this.
  5. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    I have had no issues I have even had the odd spill, however use the supplied D-Dring to fasten it to your bike not the attached straps these are meant to be used when storing the Fuel Bladder as Wiz-AU found out.
    @grace interesting to know, I have not encountered that before mine has 10K miles on them and during my trip the got regular use, I do use caution because the the first time I filled up I noticed that the fuel nozzle was dropped and had a sharp edge on it so I was always cautious as sharp edges and bags don't mix, but at least look at the bright side you did not lose your fuel although getting it back was a pain in the but.
    JagLite and grace like this.
  6. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    This thread and the custom sewing and cordura items thread has me thinking about getting a set of tank bags made up. Anyone done it already ?
  7. lukasteam

lukasteam Life is beautiful !!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine don't leak , but reek gas like crazy . If I put it in bottom of my top box or one of the side boxes for lower center of gravity all my clothes that I have in there reek like gas too .
  8. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Yeah, they can be a little stinky. I only use mine outside luggage, and for as short a time as possible. When not in use, fold in half then put in a gallon ziplock (or other) bag.

On a business note, I'm out riding, and then moving, so the store is closed until August. See you out on the trails!
    phreakingeek likes this.
  9. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    I have to agree I also rather keep them externally especially if they have an outer gore tex cladding on them that first time you mess petrol on them they are for sure going to stink up anything they get in contact with and not an easy smell to get rid of.
  10. worthydog

worthydog Shosholoza Supporter

Oddometer:
    does the containment bag fit in a 1 gallon ziplock when empty? Is there a bigger ziplock you could put the bag into when full?
  11. grace

Oddometer:
    i doubt that fuel and plastic bags work well together.
    JagLite likes this.
  12. worthydog

Oddometer:
    Agreed. Im thinking using them to store the empty container after use.
  13. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I doubt the container bag would fit in a gallon size zip lock bag.
    It is quite thick and stiff material.
  14. worthydog

Oddometer:
    I just found some 2.5 gal ziplock bags that might work to isolate the container bag stink. Will report back
    IDRIDR and JagLite like this.
  15. grace

Oddometer:
    for those interested, brady, at this thread, made me a bag for the liquid container and i feel quite pleased with the outcome. it's pretty darn perfect. if you looking for a bag for a liquid container, contact brady. excellent quality. made of 1000d cordura -so, it's tough. he can customize with colors.

DSC04822.jpg

DSC04823.jpg

DSC04826.jpg

DSC04829.jpg
    JagLite and PYG RYDR like this.
  16. grace

Oddometer:
    another pic:

DSC04827_1.jpg
    JagLite likes this.
  17. phreakingeek

phreakingeek Big Ear Inc - Virginia Provider Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    What a great idea, now why didnt I think of that? Oh yeah, I did...like 2 years ago.
  18. grace

Oddometer:
    here some photos using liquid container bag during recent camping trip. it works perfect. highly recommended. remember you may request at this thread.

Attached Files:

JagLite likes this.
  19. worthydog

Oddometer:
    Here is my LC bag, in the cordura container bag that Brady made me. Worked like a charm in Botswana. Molly strips on both sides, easy to strap securely. When done, I put the empty bladder in a 2.5gal ziplock bag. It folded in half and flat under my luggage, disappeared completely. For me this is the solution to occasional need for extra range 5B2D6B86-98B1-43B9-A523-71526E7BD664.jpeg
    JagLite, Gedrog and grace like this.
  20. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    The bags just make sense doesn't it
    JagLite likes this.