List of gps incompatible with 2019-04-06 roll over bug

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by dddd, Apr 13, 2019.

1. readonly24

readonly24 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What a shame. A programmer who knows the code should be able to fix this within minutes.
  2. wonderings

wonderings Long timer

Oddometer:
    This will not effect routing through on the Zumo 660? I have one as a backup and do not really care about date and time and all that, just that it will get me to where I am going if I my main unit dies.

For the screen switching for day and night can that not be turned off at least manually?
  3. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    (zumo 660)

As discussed above and from the garmin decaration (and from my own experience), routing and position still works. Reread for other symptoms.

For the night/day mode, yes it is possible to put it away from auto mode, which is why it is slightly annoying for people riding both night and day. I guess it's not that many clicks anyway. I'm more affected by not knowing when is the sunrise/sunset for a given location during a trip as this affects my schedule. I will have to rely on some offline smartphone gps app.
  4. webmonstro

webmonstro A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer:
    My understanding is that sunrise/sunset times come from the GPS signals (so should still be correct), just the date time will be wrong
    So you just have to know know many hours to add or subtract to the sunset/sunrise time
    Unless it is a fixed table that's in the firmware ??
  5. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    They can't obviously because it depend on your location.
    Sorry, satellites dont care about you personally... ;-)

The Unit is doing the math calculation because it thinks it knows the long/lat and day of year. Throw the day of year off and this calculation is off. It's not a matter of offset because as we (north hemisphere) currently get longer days towards june solstice, the unit thinks it is going towards december solstice. Between saturday an today, sunset already changed by 4 minutes earlier which is obviously incorrect.
  6. wonderings

wonderings Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am amazed they cannot figure this out with software.
  7. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think anyone can affirm that. I suspect it is likely feasible in firmware/software, but they just won't invest time on an old device, particularly if it increases sales of a newer device (and if they can get away with legal claims about reasonable duration of use).

As a programmer (but I've never worked for them), I'm convinced that ultimately every call location of some getDate() function could be intercepted and corrected trivially. I'd do that for free if they allowed me. But why would they salvage thousands of units for nothing in return when you can sell thousands for $$$.
    Bruincounselor likes this.
  8. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    option a: push firmware update to fix units plagued with software date bug
    option b: suggest everyone buy new unit that doesn't have software date bug

guess which one gets pressed ?
    webmonstro likes this.
  9. webmonstro

webmonstro A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer:
    Ok makes sense .
  10. Menhir

Menhir Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Zumo 660, Purchased rebuilt from Garmin. I have no idea of original activation date. I started using an SD card last year, as Garmin seems to be very stingy with it's memory capacity.
    Software Version 5.10
    GPS: 2.90
    DSP: 2.30
    Mount: 0.00

I turned it on yesterday and it displayed the proper time, today too.

It looks like I'm good to go, right? Or do I have to check some other things out before I do my happy dance?
  11. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's not about the time but about the date. Check the world clock app.
  12. Menhir

Menhir Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'm a little late to this party...It's been a couple of very busy weeks at my business.

The World Clock is showing the correct time(s).
  13. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    But is it showing the correct date?
    Also, what are the first 3 digits of your unit id (settings>system>about)?
  14. Menhir

Menhir Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I should have posted time and dates are correct on the World Clock.

The first three digits of the unit ID are 391.
  15. gotfz1

gotfz1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fwiw:

Fired it up and waited for sat acquisition

Zumo 660 -- US version.
    Software Version 5.10
    Unit ID starts with 390
    GPS 2.90
    DSP 2.30
    Text 5.10
    Voice 3.40
    Mount: 0.00
    Set Current Time - Automatic is checked

- date time on boot is fine
    - sunset/sunrise are accurate
    - acquired date is correct
    - automatic checkbox is still offered in Set Current Time
    - recorded tracks' dates -- don't use/didn't test.
    - world clock app is providing accurate date and times

So no negative impact yet. Maybe it's the serial/revision, knocking on wood.
  16. treysis

treysis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    TomTom Rider 2013 (K4) is also affected. Resets the time constantly to 0:00. Track recording not working anymore as a result, as well as intelligent routes obviously. Rider v1, v2, and v3 suffered as well but received a fix. 2013/K4/v4 seems not so easy to fix and looks like TomTom is reluctant to put more effort into it. Then again some people receive info they're working on it. So, at least some communication, unlike from Garmin. And discounted price (20-30%) should you decide to stick with TomTom.

For the Zumo 660:
    Just don't remove your battery! The battery seems to be buffering the date. I've read reports from people that as soon as they remove the battery (you have to if you take your SD card out) or hard reset, date will be off and back to 1999.
  17. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I did remove the battery because something happened. Usually it's because it froze.
    I'm sure I tried fixing the bug by removing battery but well after I saw the issue, so I didn't cause it.

Can you indiicate where are those reports?
  18. treysis

treysis Adventurer

Oddometer:
  19. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    (zumo 660)

(Google translate didn't work but google chrome with german language installed works like a charm. Neat).
    So, that's the story. Battery removal seem to be the trigger. Anyone with a 660 wants to try? LOL!

Tip: the german forum suggests to hook to usb (use usb battery pack if on the road) before removing battery (for sd card access, but typically for crash recovery).

Still waiting support ticket answer.
  20. Menhir

Menhir Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was going to be the test dummy and remove the battery from my Zumo660, but I read the translated pages referred to above first:
    I decided there's no point in testing it out myself...it's been documented well enough.

So I chickened out and instead put a little paper note in the battery department stating "DO NOT REMOVE BATTERY" in case a lot of time passes buy without a fix and I forget while I'm playing around with the device.

Based on the letter received from Garmin Support by one of the German Forum members (translated here), it looks like Garmin isn't saying there won't be a fix, but is unclear about the if's and when's. Quoted below...

Update to Rollover Problem-

Here the org. Message from Garmin Support Germany

Hello Mr. xxxxxx
    Thank you for your reply.
    Unfortunately, we currently have a high email volume, which is why the processing time is extended.
    We have received your requests nevertheless. We apologize for any inconvenience.

If the previous solutions did not help, we need your patience now.
    The GPS rollover affects devices worldwide and every brand, which leads to wrong dates and dates.

We understand that this is annoying for you, especially for your evaluation, but at this point you have to wait for an update.
    Unfortunately, when and in what form this occurs, we can not tell you at the moment.
    Sincerely,
    xxxxxxxxxx
    Customer Care Associate

Take it for what it's worth.
    dddd likes this.