List the top features you look for in a GPS

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by trail-tech, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Just a crazy thought, but what about a version with a GSM, CDMA or both antenna on it and Android installed? Think tablet style GPS giving access to data networks if wanted and a ton of GPS apps.
    ohgood likes this.
  2. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have found that Garmin's "Auto" is by far the most efficient recording method. Why record a bunch of track points going down a straight road? However with the current much larger memory this is not as important. I still have to record Tracks and then filter them down ot 500 points to download to customers (30%) with last generation units.

With old Garmin you could just turn Off/On Track Log, not whole unit (they screwed that up in new unites). I go out and record Tracks for each segment or road in an area to save in master file to join later for a ride.

Off hand, don't see why any one would want to split Tracks at some arbitrary mileage? That is too easy to do on your PC when you get home. However more is usually better, could find some use later.
  3. trail-tech

trail-tech Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With the Trail Tech Voyager it is also recording ride data like altitude, speed, water temp, etc. and so these points are important for documented post ride information if you are into that. (I am)

With the Voyager you can turn the tracking on and off at will. Even a "recording" and "Pause" indicator on the screen.

I guess I did not explain that well. I was addressing your "draw a straight line" issue. We designed the original Voyager GPS for off road use primarily. Regardless, if you ride and load your bike in a truck or trailer (does not see the wheel turning)... or you turn it off, and then Start a new track or day or whatever and are further than 1,5,10 miles (settable) from the last location it starts a new track instead of drawing a straight line from one location to another. I find this super useful and dont have to edit my tracks to take the 50 mile straight line out of the track between two areas I rode.
  4. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    That makes total sense and very smart, you made it "Fool Proof". I thought Garmin had done that with the new "x" models. They record Back Up Track Log to data card so my friend can not accidently clear the Track Log from Main Memory. He went exploring to place I needed Tracks from but came back and told me he didn't have Tracks. I said, no problem I will get them form the Data Card. He said not if I forgot to take the GPS. Like they say you can make it fool proof but not Idiot proof!
  5. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I assume your new unit will be permanent mount on the bike (not on ball mount to help sun angle)? Many of us have two bikes!

If so, the only way to communicate to your PC is moving the data card (no USB)?

When you Download Tracks to Data Card from PC then install data card in GPS, does GPS use the Tracks direct from the Data Card or are they transferred to Main Memory?

Does every Track appear in the Track Manager page or is there an Archive folder like new generation Garmin.

What is the process to turn each Track On/Off or change color?
  6. trail-tech

Oddometer:
    We will have several mounting options and I'm sure RAM will be one of them.
    Data card and possibly blue tooth to transfer.
    Not sure if it will read the data card direct or if you need to import. On our current Voyager you need to import.
    Yes, every track is on/off selectable for displaying and you can assign colors.
  7. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since data card & socket will be getting heavy use, it would seem smarter to import date to main memory to avoid vibration problems while riding.
  8. trail-tech

Oddometer:
    You do have to import the data to memory so it will not be reading from the card (I believe, not sure if this is finalized on the new product). BTW we have had zero issues with our mini SD slot, mud, water, dropped in rivers, pressure washing etc. on our Voyager we have had out for many years. I can't image more abuse than that thing has taken.
  9. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    1 seeing the elevation profiles of smaller segments, and naming them according to their interesting bits while at the camp fire and the ride is still fresh on the mind is really nice. trying to remember all the significant things for several hundred miles of tracks later, when adding waypoints wasn't an option, is annoying. (to me anyway)
    2 the convenience of a great user interface on touch screen and fresh memory of the ride shines through here.
    3 a few years ago i slapped a piece of painters tape over a sdcard that was prone to vibrating loose. since then the designs have changed for the better and with automagical backups of databases, it's not really a problem. or at least , it hasn't been for me.

this thread is like the catch-all for all things great and small in gps land. man it's fun. to read. :)
    trail-tech likes this.
  10. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can, people handling the data card several hundreds of times, stuff happens.

They are so small, easy to damage. I usually hand customer my card adapter, have them install their card, then I install it into my Lap Top, then reverse the procedure. I did damage a micro SD from a Gramin and lost the back up data (good example of idiot test). If GPS is on ball mount, usb jack would really be nice over screwing with data card.
  11. trail-tech

Oddometer:
    Many of our original test units are still in service, 6 years later, hundreds of loads and unloads, dropped in rivers, covered in NW mud, in sand, harsh off road only environments then pressure washed and hard chemicals used. I'd say they get more thrashing than most. Yes the mini SDs are small, I dropped one once, ended up in the skid plate, took me a while to find it.
  12. ptgarcia

ptgarcia Huh?

Oddometer:
    Is the memory card slot o-ring sealed (or similar)?

Paul
  13. trail-tech

Oddometer:
    Rubber cap. The slot is also sealed from the unit. I have many times blown the cap off with the pressure washer (it is also strapped so you don't loose it), got it soaked and zero issues.

[​IMG]
    ohgood likes this.
  14. ptgarcia

ptgarcia Huh?

Oddometer:

Well I have to say I look forward to seeing the Pro when it comes out. My GPSMAP 60 is getting long in the tooth and my speedo broke, so this may be just what I need.
    Dlupini and trail-tech like this.
  15. dnrobertson

dnrobertson Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    What format maps will this unit accept?

Here in Australia Hema maps are very popular, but they are not available in Garmin format.

OSM coverage seems sparse in many areas (yeah, I know I'm part of the problem).

Send me a unit I'll do some Australian testing for you.:lol3 . I'm a hard core GPS user rather than a hard core rider.

And my KTM 640 Adventure will test the vibration resistance of the unit.
  16. trail-tech

Oddometer:
    GPX for sure, not sure what others, details are still being worked out.

ha ha ha yeah had one of those paint shakers myself.
  17. trail-tech

Oddometer:
    Is that a proprietary format for their own GPS or some open source thing? Looked into it quickly. We have much smarter people than I working on this thing. I'm just the messenger :>)
  18. dnrobertson

dnrobertson Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    I've had a couple of versions.

And while the early versions came in both Ozf2 and ECW formats, the latest version only comes in a OZF4 format.

The OZF* formats are tied to the oziexplorer software. http://www.oziexplorer.com/ so are probably not much use.
  19. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Last time I looked GPX was not a digital Map format. It is an XML data (Waypoints, Routes, Tracks) sharing standard.

As for MAPs, if you folks wanted to have access to the most commonly used vector and bitmap MAP data on the planet, you'd adopt Garmin's map format. There are open compilers and map-maker applications for Garmin compatible map making. Using the Garmin format but having your own Compiler would actually be the best way to go. That would give your customers access to the most digital maps and allow you to optimize your Trail-Tech branded Maps for performance on the 'Pro'. That would of course not mean that customer could use Garmin 'locked' map products.
  20. trail-tech

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I am not involved in the map side of things, I'm sure much if not all of this is being addressed.