List the top features you look for in a GPS

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by trail-tech, Feb 2, 2016.

1. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    hmm, let me see if i understand this properly...

record track >> import (add/edit) into the devices map as 'new road' >> route along old roads and 'new road' for future routing ?

i'm not familiar with the delormes or delorme software, so baby steps, ok ?

what i do on my phone is take several recorded tracks, lop (cut) off the pieces of the tracks I don't want, and then merge the pieces i do want into one track. then following that single track is fairly easy. this doesn't involve a computer or other software, but it also does not integrate into the routing data of maps or other applications, it's just a new track.

make sense ?
  2. trail-tech

trail-tech Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No you cant draw on the GPS and create routes. Never seen that function on anything not on a PC/software and it would be really hard to do.

You can draw in Rideleader software any path you like. Convert it to a route then upload it to your GPS and follow it. As you follow it Voyager GPS, and our new Voyager Pro will create tracks wherever you go. You can then upload those tracks you made by riding and convert them to routes you can follow later if you wish. So... routes can be made however you wish in Rideleader. Tracks are made as you record them as you ride. Tracks can be converted to routes and routes can be converted to tracks at will in Rideleader. You can edit the routes and tracks however you want in Rideleader.
  3. trail-tech

Oddometer:
    Here is a screen shot from rideleader. The Orange was existing Routes I had of a trail system. The Blue is a track I rode. The Red is a route I drew just as an example. If you look in the lower right you will see my right clicked on the route I drew and that you can convert it to a track. You can also filter it to make it less points and a smaller file. EZ stuff.

[​IMG]
  4. ohgood

Oddometer:
    trailtech- i think you could do it more easily than you realize, on the device. i've been doing just what we're talking about for a while now. here are some examples:

route creation in progress;
    thin aqua line = previously recorded track
    thick purple line = auto-magic routed ROAD route
    thin purple line = in process shaping points to guide the auto-magic routed ROAD route
    solid green/red dots = hand drawn (no auto-magic involved, just hand drawn) shaping points for off-road approximations of desired travel
    Screenshot_2016-02-24-10-52-05.png

thin aqua line = unchanged
    thick purple line = unchanged (road auto-magic routing)
    thin orange line = hand drawn off-road (not auto-magic routing) path to follow
    Screenshot_2016-02-24-10-55-30.png

and here is a close up showing the road routing where it stops and transitions to offroad (hand drawn) portion:
    Screenshot_2016-02-24-10-55-50.png

and then back again from the offroad (orange, hand drawn) portion to the purple street portion:
    Screenshot_2016-02-24-10-56-29.png

it takes about 2 minutes to complete a 20 mile on/ off road route this way. familiarity helps, i know, but i think you guys could make it happen.
  5. trail-tech

Oddometer:
    I'm sure it can be done but drawing on a GPS sized screen seems cumbersome and not something that is on our radar right now as far as I know. I guess using a stylist pen would help.
  6. ohgood

Oddometer:

oh, ok, now i see why you're skeptical. ya, free-hand drawing a line would mean having to use a stylus, at a very high zoom, and a lot of panning around.

i'm not drawing free hand like a paintbrush, but just letting the software draw lines between the points i choose. each pair of points has an intermediate (in the middle) that allows for dragging THAT point around. think of it as using a carpenters ruler that can expand/contract between hinges, to draw the route.

make sense ?
    trail-tech likes this.
  7. ptgarcia

ptgarcia Huh?

Oddometer:
    I'm curious, why do this conversion in the first place? What are you getting from this that you're not getting from just a track?
  8. trail-tech

Oddometer:
    A route is used to show a path you might want to go. These can be downloaded, pre drawn, whatever. These show up before your ride as possible route to go. A track is a "breadcrumb" that tracks where you actually rode. See post 103. You might want to convert a track you rode to a Route you might want to take some time again in the future. Another good reason to keep tracks separate is you want to see just your ride info / statistics after the ride not calculate very route on your GPS.

Example, this is post ride info, just contains your "track" info and you dont want route info on this.

[​IMG]
  9. ptgarcia

ptgarcia Huh?

Oddometer:
    I know the difference between a route and track (and a track isn't always a place you've been as you can easily make tracks in the computer then upload them to your GPS). I'm just curious as to why you'd go through the trouble of converting a track into a routable road? Why not just follow the track?
  10. trail-tech

Oddometer:
    For me, I use the tracks as the ride I am on. The "Breadcrumb trail" if you will. I want everything else to be a route. Then its simple to find out what you have rode and what you may ride. You could convert a previously ridden track to a route so it is an option on your next ride. You don't have to, you can leave it as a track if you like thats just how I use it.
  11. ptgarcia

ptgarcia Huh?

Oddometer:

Ok, I see. I pretty much never use routes on my bike, only tracks, and use colors to differentiate between them. This is the biggest reason I haven't bought the Voyager.
  12. trail-tech

Oddometer:
    Color?
  13. ptgarcia

ptgarcia Huh?

Oddometer:

Color display.
    trail-tech likes this.
  14. uk_mouse

uk_mouse Aquatic adventurer

Oddometer:
    At the moment I'm still using a Garmin 2610, MapSource allows you to create a route that changes from auto-routing to off road routing (which is just a series of straight lines to follow) and back again, although the interface to do so is a bit cumbersome.

I'd regard this as an essential features for any GPS unit i buy in the future, and if it could be done on the unit itself that'd be excellent although I'd be OK with needing to use a PC and then transfer the route to the GPS.
  15. Hogie500

Hogie500 n00b

Oddometer:

I don't mean to be able to draw directly on the GPS. I understand how to convert Tracks to Trails to Draw Layers to convert to GPX files to KMZ or whatever. I Just think a gps designed for off road use should be able to route on trails, tracks, users made roads, draw files or whatever you want to call it, and original roads at the same time.
    This is some examples..... This is done in Delorme Topo. I can convert any track, trail, gpx file, kmz file or what ever, It makes no difference with GPS bable, to a routable road. On My computer I Can Route on these tracks, trails, or whatever you want to call them because I convert them to Routable Roads.
    I then cut a map in delorme topo with the Routable Roads I made as part of the map package and the roads show up and look just the same as the original roads on the map, But the GPS will not create a route using these roads.
    Imagine having several different options to get from point A to Point B, 50 miles or so, you want to create a route on a particular path for the days ride, going through mostly trails but some main roads. Create the route using multiple via points if need be to get the route to go the way you want it to. It would be nice to be able to create the route on the GPS instead of having to do it on the computer and transfer the route. There may be several dozen right hand turns befor I get to the one I want to take, some I may have mapped some I don't. It's gets hard to keep up with which turn to take when I need to take a right that might be within 100 feet of 2 other turns... It gets pretty much impossible to keep up with where I want to go without stopping at all the trail intersections and qooming in and out to see where it goes and if that is the turn I want to take....
    Its like this.... if there was a new bypass road around a city built but it was not on your GPS map. You wait on a new update to come out so you can update your maps right! So what I am saying is being able to use your map software to update your own map on your GPS. You go and ride the new bypass road, make you a track, take it back upload it to your computer, convert it to a routable road and send it back to your GPS....

Attached Files:

16. Hogie500

Hogie500 n00b

Oddometer:
    Couple more pics. I don't know how to explain it any better..... Thanks......

Attached Files:

17. Hogie500

Hogie500 n00b

Oddometer:

I think this is what I am after. It seems a little more complicated to send custom routable roads to the gps... But its posible.

http://www.mapwel.net/manual/0025about.htm
  18. trail-tech

Oddometer:
    OK, now I get what you are asking. You want to draw routable maps for navigation. Will add it to the list of possibilities. Thanks.
  19. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    While this feature may have some value in the East with all types of strange land ownership, in the west, all legal Open roads and trails are already mapped.

The problem is to get them all on one navagatable map. The current problem with Garmin maps is the lack of including all the forest MVUMs and BLM designated routes.
  20. SloSolo2

SloSolo2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I might represent the opposite end of the spectrum compared to those posting so far. I have used a Garmin gps in cars all over North America and more recently I've been using google maps on my phone but I am thinking about a TAT ride and looking for a suitable GPS lead me to this thread. Most of the stuff listed here is interesting but what I want is to load the track (or whatever the correct term is), ride the TAT without getting totally lost and then plug in my home address and be shown the fastest route i.e. Interstate and have POI features similar to the Garmin for the trip home. I don't need to know what elevation I was at or what the barometric pressure was, I really can't imagine caring about historical map data when I've parked for the night. Rugged, easy to see, easy to use are my top 3 and I know you say you've covered that so just waiting to see what you launch. $3-400 seems like a fair price but cheaper would be great.