Little 120 mph wiggle

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by GR8ADV, May 20, 2020.

1. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    lnewqban likes this.
  2. MisterShandy

MisterShandy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dat ass...

And wtf surviving a 120mph get off with just scratches. Sometimes it's hard to say with a wobble if you need more lift or to load the front, but on a zx-6r she had nothing left to give it. I prolly would have tried to move my weight over the front and load it with some gentle braking.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  3. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I probably would’ve shit my pants, saw the guardrail coming and stepped off the bike.
    High Country Herb likes this.
  4. Jim Moore

Jim Moore "You ain't black!"

Oddometer:
    I've had some success with minor wobbles (nothing like that, thank God) by pushing forward on both handgrips at once.
    c_m_shooter likes this.
  5. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    It looks to me like she wheelied on the second pass, and it wobbled when the front touched down. That was definitely pretty violent.
  6. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    You could be right. My ZX-6R never did anything remotely like that, and I took it past 150 mph.

Yeah, she was driving pretty crazy for the street, but I can't say I haven't done it. I did see her glove straps flapping free before the crash, and it looked like the left one came off during the slide. Other than that, I've got nothing.

Glad there were people there quickly to calm her and convince her to lie still. My automatic reaction would probably be to jump up and look for my bike. :lol3

[​IMG]
  7. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got to give kudo's to the GoPro and mount for staying on the helmet for the ride.
    Flyin' Monkeys likes this.
  8. Colorad0

Colorad0 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing she didn't have a steering damper on that bike.
  9. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Guessing it wouldn't have mattered.

Pretty sure the newer 636s don't come with a dampers, but they are sold as an accessory.
  10. Colorad0

Colorad0 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Isn't that one of the purposes of a damper? To stop uncontrolled tank slappers?

I've put my front wheel down wrong on my dirt bike and the front wheel went into a mini-tank slapper, but didn't go lock to lock or anything like that. I'm assuming that was due to my Scotts damper.

That video made me feel really good about finally getting around to putting a Scotts on my 1290 SDR.

So glad that pretty young lady was able to walk away. Usually that story has a different ending.
  11. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    Meh

So a damper may stop a slapper....it may not. More often they are used to cover up underlying suspension issues. The 1290 is a perfect example, a lot of dudes swear that you MUST have a damper. I have made it 60,000 miles to include about 25 track days with the stocker and haven't had an issue.

I am waiting on a Scotts myself, I also am literally changing everything below the main frame, carbon wheels, shock, cartridges up front, new gearing, ride height adjustability, disks hardware, etc.

The Scotts is a safety measure while I tweek all of that in.

There is a lot of trial and error that has to happen starting with the front picking up 20mm of travel, and I know from experience the bike is majorly sensitive to changes with the shock, not enough rebound and it will literally porpoise going around a corner.
  12. Colorad0

Colorad0 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unless there's something wrong with the damper, it should be physically impossible for the bars to oscillate from lock to lock, like in that video. Not to say the damper will prevent a crash, but it should prevent a tank slapper.

My KTM 300 xc-w dirt bike has Kreft Moto suspension setup for me and my terrain. I usually run my scotts 4 clicks out from "full on" for the rocky jeep/atv trails we have here in Colorado. For single track I have to back it out about 12 clicks.

Thing is, sometimes I forget I backed it out and hit the fast rocky climbs with the damper backed out. Every freaking time that happens, I get knocked off line. The bike just doesn't hold it's line like it does with the damper turned up. It's happened time after time and that's with properly set up suspension.

The road may well be different, I don't have much experience there to have an opinion. Like you I think they make for good insurance.

I've been lurking in the 1290 SDR thread. Very envious of your upgrades. Carbon everywhere!

For now I think I'm going to keep my SDR as is and buy a used 600cc sport bike and get into doing some track days.

60K miles on a SDR! Wow, that's a lot. I ride mine less than I'd like, mostly for fear of losing my license.

13. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    This is absolutely NOT the case. There are TONS of ways to cause a slapper, damper or not.
  14. Colorad0

Colorad0 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, a damper will not stop the under lying cause of a slapper, but it will control the slapper by not allowing the bars to oscillate from lock to lock.

Think about it this way, if your triple tree was welded to the frame, there is no way the bars could oscillate. That's what a damper does. It filters out any high speed movement, so it's physically impossible for the bars to move from lock to lock so quickly. The bars will still wiggle a bit, but not the violent lock to lock action seen in the vid. Not saying that will be enough to prevent the crash though, since the damper is redirecting the forces that were causing the oscillations into the the frame.
  15. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    I know what a damper does.

Skip the front end with it turned you are going to get into a slapper....they aren't fool proof.
  16. GonzoMD

GonzoMD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don’t know if you intend to be but you come off as anti damper. There’s always these evangelical damper haters on every forum that tout their mileage and track days as to why you or I don’t need a damper or that it’s a bandaid for poor suspension. That is absolutely false. It is a tool. Any performance part used improperly can be a bandaid. I agree that there are a lot of novice riders that think the damper will save them from their inexperience. That said on an otherwise properly setup bike it is always an improvement to have a damper.
  17. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    Anti-damper and I not only said I used them, I said I had an aftermarket one on the way?

I simply said they are not fool proof, because they aren't I have bikes get into steering stop destroying open the caliper piston type slappers with damper on both stock and aftermarket.

That being said do you know how many time I have checked out a guys bike at the track that was bitching about the front end shaking at him, and when you check the bike there is no rear preload and everything on the front is maxed out? "Welp found the problem, and its not that hyper-pro". That being said the only bike(s) that I have ridden that absolutely needed them were the early 00s R1 and R6s, they didn't come with them and those front ends were super sketchy