Little Bike rides British Columbia (and maybe a little Alaska?)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Little Bike, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have to get this ride report rolling because I’m having a horrible time getting motivated to finish packing and I’m (pretty, kinda, sorta) sure I’m leaving tomorrow. No money for an overseas trip this year so my Irish Transalp will be sitting idle until next summer. So, where to go? North! Hate our summers in Temecula, it’s HOT.

The plan: head up the 395 to Bishop, cut over to Nevada, visit the Ichthyosaur-Berlin State Park (always wanted to go there), back to heading North ultimately to Boise to visit friends and do some Idaho riding. Then it’s the 95 over the border to Icefields Parkway, then? Hehehehehe

Bike got new tires a few days ago and I did an oil change pretty recently. Now it’s just the endless errands of being gone for a month or so (don’t have to be back until August 14, yay). Drop off my puppy at his grandma’s, pharmacy, grocery store, call the gardener about this weekend, blah blah blah.

Hopefully the next installment will be tomorrow from somewhere between Bishop and Hawthorne, Nevada.

Wish me luck!
  2. Dracula

Dracula afficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bon voyage!
    Little Bike and black 8 like this.
  3. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Following along and looking forward to your adventure...
    Little Bike and Dracula like this.
  4. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Problem. I can only find one pair of moto skiveez....

Doggie at Grandmas.
    Went to pharmacy.
    Went to store.
    Changed battery in my sprinkler timer so it doesn’t go off every day when we lose power this summer....

Just where the heck are my dang motoskiveez?
  5. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Ordered a new pair of skiveez to go to my friend’s house in Idaho.

Made motel reservations for Bishop, now I have to leave tomorrow.
    B10Dave likes this.
  6. Pongo

Pongo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am skiping Europe this year too...sigh, but if I had a bike sitting there I think it would be way harder to do so. Good luck in the trip, if you get by Victoria BC drop a line
    Little Bike likes this.
  7. rickj

rickj Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Safe travels from a fellow Temecula resident! (Actually, my postal address is in Temecula, but I live in De Luz in the hills on the west side of the freeway.) I look forward to following along.
    Little Bike likes this.
  8. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Well alrighty, I left! Hit the road at the stunningly early time of 9:30, got into Bishop a bit after 3, in the process of cooling off, it’s a little warm today. Not too much of interest to report on the ride up, very pretty day riding along the Sierra. The only hitch is my favorite cafe in Olancha was closed! I passed up lunch earlier in the day because that’s where I wanted to stop. Boo. Ended up with the “Best Burger in Town” in Lone Pine. Wellllll, there must not be much competition....

Sorry, no pics yet. I think I’m off to Winnemucca tomorrow via the Ichthyosaurs.
  9. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    I can at least post a bike pic. That’s my vstrom 650, Maxwell.

[​IMG]
  10. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Go girl!

Safe travels Sue.
    Migolito likes this.
  11. Little Bike

Oddometer:
  12. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Look like your set up for an all pavement ride..
  13. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Yeah, since I’m traveling solo I’m going to pretty much stay on the road :(

When I meet up with friends in Idaho though we’re going to do a little dirt :-)

However, I did bring my dirt napper bike lifter so if some dirt does present itself where I can leave my boxes behind in a motel room....
  14. spinalator

spinalator Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like the way Winnemucca rolls off the tongue. I did a BC trip last year, and was chasing forest fires the whole time. Have fun!
  15. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I like Pocatello even better :lol3

I’m reeeally hoping for no fires this summer. It was great riding up the Sierra yesterday with no smoke.
    TM1(SS) likes this.
  16. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    You like the sound "Pocatello" or the town? Have you ever been there? I used to live in Idaho Falls a long time ago.
    Personally, I like the sound of "Pahrump" better, or even "Lompoc".

Hope you don't encounter any fires or too much rain like I did last summer.
  17. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    The sound, I haven’t actually been there except riding by in a thunderstorm. When you’ve been on your bike too long it fits nicely in the chorus for Hallelujah...
  18. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    been raining up here, in BC. - fire potential minimized, somewhat.
    weather shaping up nicely next week, supposedly.
    Little Bike likes this.
  19. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Cool. I should be over the border towards the end of next week.
  20. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Nice ride today from Bishop to Winnemucca, Nevada. I like to babble in one post and put the pics in the next one because I’ve lost waaay too many posts over the years trying to do both. So if you just want to see the pretty pictures and not listen to me blathering on, skip to below.

Headed out about 9, gorgeous day. Nothing like riding a beautiful area on a cool morning. While heading up the hill north of Bishop I could see mare’s tails just beginning to form, looks like they might have some afternoon rain. Stopped at the scenic pull out for Long Valley to take some pics and a group of 4 aussies on Harleys pulled up, they had ridden Glacier and Yellowstone and were now on their way to Yosemite and PCH.

Up a little higher into the trees, smells soooo good. There’s two ways to get to Winnemucca from Bishop, the 6 or ride to the north end of Mono Lake and take the 167 east (way nicer ride).

Before I left Bishop I saw a group of dual sport riders on small bikes headed out for a fun day, a little jealous, there’s some good riding around there. From Bishop there are several tracks, one is big bike friendly when you have soft luggage, up to Benton Hot Springs where you can pick up some fun dirt roads and two track. Just watch out for sheep, I had a couple of giant sheep dogs try to eat me and my 350 a couple of years ago.

Up and over the hill on the 167 you drop down into Hawthorne which has some very cool geology along Walker Lake that I’ve been meaning to look up. Mono Lake is the remains of one of the giant glacial lakes and Walker has got to be too. You can see higher lake shores in a few spots along the drive. As I was trying to look at rocks and keep from crashing at the same time I saw a whole herd, probably 12, bighorn sheep up on one of the rock outcrops, too cool. But no pic : (

After Hawthorne there’s some neat stuff like some colorful hills that I think are volcanic ash and one basin with very obvious wave terraces cut during glacial times. After that it’s a pretty flat, straight ride into Fallon.

Stopped in Lovelock for the biggest hot dog I’ve ever seen....then a blustery ride into Winnemucca (there was this strange bar of clouds I’d been riding towards all morning, turned out to be a weak cell, but some pretty strong winds, one gust blew me almost onto the shoulder)

Tomorrow is Boise and I get to see my friends Bill and Alice and do some Idaho riding. : )