Little Bike rides British Columbia (and maybe a little Alaska?)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Little Bike, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m sitting in the hotel lobby waiting for Bill to pick me up, the hotel is doggy friendly and people are checking out with their pups. I’m dying a little, I miss my doggy....
    MYUMPH likes this.
  2. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I remember being in a hotel in Red Deer, Alberta the weekend of the big annual dog show. EVERY guest had a dog it seemed.
    Little Bike likes this.
  3. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Boise to Moscow, Idaho

Got up and noticed a plant had sprouted in my sink overnight. Huh.

[​IMG]

Said goodbye to Bill and Alice :([​IMG]

Headed up the 55 following the Payette River. I rode Idaho back in 2012 or 13 and I really enjoyed the roads that followed the river canyons because there’s no other place to put them. I have this same picture with my first bike, a Honda Rebel 250. Beautiful day for riding.

[​IMG]

I didn’t do too well with pics today, actually so far I haven’t taken many pics, but I had a horrible case of gotta get there for some reason today. Anyways, north of Grangeville, after a neat ride through the Salmon River Canyon where everybody was having a great time river rafting there was miles and miles of rolling farmland. The fields of mustard really caught the eye.

[​IMG]

Pretty ride today through really varied country, little heavy handed on the throttle. Guess I didn’t learn my lesson from yesterday...

About halfway here I decided I’m pooped and need a day off from riding. I’m taking the 4th off and about 15 minutes from here in Pullman, Washington they’re having food, music and fireworks in a park. Sounds good.

Edit, almost forgot the geology! Granite (Idaho Batholith?) to flood basalt to schist back to flood basalt
    HBSURFDAD likes this.
  4. Jedi2Rider

Jedi2Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Subscribed...keep it coming.

:lurk
    Little Bike likes this.
  5. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Spent the night in Moscow, took a down day, did absolutely nothing for the 4th, oops...

Off to Radium Hot Springs today and Canada!
    yamalama and eaglescan like this.
  6. Jedi2Rider

Jedi2Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Moscow for the 4th of July???

Sounds a little odd...:hmmmmm even if it is in Idyho.
    td63 likes this.
  7. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    I thought so too :lol3
  8. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Before Radium don't miss the Fairmont Hot Springs as well. You'll be going right by.
  9. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Cool, thanks!
  10. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Moscow, Idaho to Radium Hot Springs, B.C.

Well, 3 pages later and I finally made it to Canada! :lol3

Today was mostly about making miles and actually getting over the border. I did about 150 miles then had a lunch stop in Bonner’s Ferry, cute town on the Kootenay River. Not too surprisingly there was a ferry run by a guy named Bonner in the late 1800s. However, the best piece of B.F. history is from 1974 when the Kootenay tribe declared war on the United States. Since they had never entered into any treaties they were free to do so. Tribal members posted soldiers at either end of town and charged a toll to use the road, the money was to go towards supporting elderly tribe members. A truce was called when the U.S. government ceded them 10.5 acres of land to be used as a reservation.

[​IMG]

Pretty long line to cross the border. The customs agent sounded and looked like she’d rather shoot herself than ask somebody the same questions over again...

[​IMG]

Sedimentary something....glacial till?

[​IMG]

Finally in the Rockies, yay. Got a little wet today too.

[​IMG]

Lookee what I found.

[​IMG]
  11. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    I decided to go on a loop ride from Radium Hot Springs to Lake Louise and Moraine Lake to Golden and back down the 95. I’ll be reriding part of this route tomorrow, but it’s all beautiful so hey.

First up right after the park entrance I this big crack and gorge of Sinclair Creek that has cut down through the limestone cliffs. What I want to know is how? Was the Creek there before glaciation carved out the valleys behind so it was higher? Did the rock rise and the creek cut down? Hmmm

[​IMG]

Castle-ie mountains

[​IMG]

Lake Louise was beautiful as usual. The other 500 people who were there at the same time agree. If you go and they say the parking lot is full ride up anyways, there’s a fair amount of motorcycle parking.

[​IMG]

I think Moraine Lake is prettier than Louise. They had the road closed to traffic because the lot was full, but when I rode by I pointed at my bike and they waved me in, plenty of bike parking in the funny little triangles at the ends of rows.

[​IMG]

Little peek of the glacier above the lake.

[​IMG]

It was raining going up to Moraine Lake, let up a little, but then started up again when I got back down to the main road. Soggy ride for about the next 40 minutes. Yuck. Dumb face shield kept fogging up. So road cut gawping was out for awhile. Once the rain stopped full on gawking was in order again, but this was the only pic I was able to take. Slate or shale?

[​IMG]

The whole ride was through sedimentary rocks, fun day. Partly soggy ride part way back, I think tomorrow forecast is for afternoon thunderstorms, today’s was just rain. The plan for tomorrow is to ride to Jasper along the Icefields Parkway. I already have things I want to stop and see from today’s ride, didn’t stop because I knew I’d be back. The big question is where to go after Jasper? Right now I’m think Prince George as a stopover on the way to Tumbler Ridge Geopark.
  12. mattoid1

mattoid1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report, thanks. I like the canyon entrance to Kootenay Park above Radium Hot Springs. If you get to the ferry between Balfour and Kootenay Bay, Duck and Docks (sp?) is a great place for a meal. Take care, Dave.
    Little Bike and glasshousebc like this.
  13. glasshousebc

glasshousebc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And toad rock just north of Balfour is a fabulous motorcycle campground... Mary’s a great host.

All the best,
    Steve.
  14. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    I didn’t bring camping gear on this trip :(, next time!
    glasshousebc likes this.
  15. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Sitting here hoping the clouds are going to break up a bit like yesterday so I can see the mountains and the glaciers.
  16. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Wish I hadn’t made reservations for Jasper, I’d like to stay here another night, there’s supposed to be a break in the weather mid morning to early afternoon. Oh well, just means I have to come back.
  17. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I found the Icefields Parkway to be a major highlight of a ride to Alaska in 2016.
    Little Bike likes this.
  18. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    I’m really looking forward to it. Right now I’m stuck in Canmore until Tuesday.
  19. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    So took off this morning and the bike wasn’t sounding right, some weird vibration down to the left that went away once I was cruising. I stopped and it was definitely worse so instead of heading for Icefields Parkway I went to Banff to see if there were any bike shops. Nope, closest is Canmore, which is pretty close. While I was stopped I started suspecting the chain, pushed it up and it seemed like it was really loose so I called my personal master mechanic Bill :lol3 and yep, that’s waaay too loose and probably should get a new chain put on. There’s a bike shop here in Canmore, but of course they aren’t open until Tuesday so here I am.

There’s a small museum in town, I think I’ll go check that out tomorrow. There’s a bus tour that will pick you up at your hotel, but I hate to spend the money if the weather isn’t going to be good tomorrow and it’s kind of iffy.

So anyways, time way past, need lunch.
  20. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, had to cancel my cabin in Jasper with no refund. Ouch. And 2 nights in Canmore isn’t cheap.