Little Bike rides British Columbia (and maybe a little Alaska?)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Little Bike, Jun 26, 2019.

1. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    glad you got it sorted.
    fwiw: problems? - try asking for help on the regional forum. lotsa folks are here to help out, if given the chance.
    Little Bike likes this.
  2. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Escape from Canmore to Hinton

Well, wet and cold day. Bummer. The first 35 miles of the Icefields Parkway was ok then the clouds and rain descended. Didn’t do too well for pics.

Huge U shaped Valley you ride down. U shaped valleys means they were carved by glaciers.
    [​IMG]

Soggy Maxwell

[​IMG]

The sun would tease now and then.

[​IMG]

Columbia Icefields glacier. Pretty evil wind coming downslope, katabatic?

[​IMG]

Glacier poo

[​IMG]

Thars a bar. I haven’t seen much wildlife so far until today, just lots of deer and I think a vole that I almost ran over. Later today there were some sheep that did a great job of standing in the middle of the road getting honked at by semis and creating a backup of about 1/2 mile. Sorry, no pics of those guys, I did try to herd them across with the vstrom, they weren’t impressed.

[​IMG]

Even though the cloud layer was pretty low and it was wet still a pretty ride. But I was really wishing for that heated gear and grips! I got a little too cold and stopped at a lodge west of Jasper for some food and coffee, that was goooood. Didn’t do some of things I wanted to because of the weather and I think I tightened up all my back muscles when I got cold. Ouch. Now I have to re ride Icefields when it’s sunny out, guess I have to come back.

Just an aside, I ride like crap when I get cold and stiff. But now I’m all cozy in Hinton.

Almost forgot, some really neat folded layers today and peaks. Also lots of glacier scoured rocks and hills. Cool chevron shaped weathering of I think limestone where the layers were almost vertical. Sorry, I didn’t do very well on pics today.
  3. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I was out and about in Edmonton today in shorts (I don't wear pants in baseball season unless a motorcycle or funeral is involved) and it was hard to ignore how cool it is outside. It's like we haven't had summer yet. I'm going to test ride the Roadster next Thursday with the collarbone situation. It's getting better.

There's a good steak or two to be had in Hinton but I imagine it's too late for that. Se safe and safe travels.
    Little Bike likes this.
  4. Kiwi Canuck

Kiwi Canuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you got it all fixed, I just rode through Canmore today, weather was still nice on my way to Revelstoke.
    When you go by Grand Cache, check out coal face they are working on, there’s are some very cool shapes there.
    Little Bike likes this.
  5. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Hinton to Dawson Creek

Got a late start today, didn’t get goofing until 10:30. When you leave Hinton and get on the 40 it’s pot hole city baby! That ended after about 35 miles, yay. Saw 2 bears today, the second one I almost stopped for a pic then thought otherwise because I was going to end up really, really close. Nice ride to Grande Cache, great road cuts with shale and coal seams, big coal mine on the other side of town. Always interesting to imagine the marshes and swamps that we’re once there.

North of Hinton, sweater stop, it got pretty cold, but beautiful day.

[​IMG]

After Grand Cache the wind picked up from the left and the road got really busy with tanker trunks. I got batted all over the place from oncoming trucks, made it a looong day since the trucks were every few minutes at times. You’d think you should be out in the middle of nowhere, but there’s plenty going on between the logging and fracking pads.

Outside of Grand Prairie was the biggest beaver I’ve ever seen...@Todd157k

[​IMG]

And a really cute dog. Stopped at the Walmart in Dawson Creek for batteries for the SPOT, a cable lock for my jacket and helmet, some breakfast bars for tomorrow and CHOCOLATE. Met a kid in the parking lot who lived in Alaska and was on his way back after a trip to the east coast and western states. His Mom was also there, they had taken different routes home and were meeting up. Also talked to another couple whose son was currently riding in Alaska and about to head home in a couple of days. They offered a glass of wine at their house, which I would have loved, but I’m pooped. Apparently, if you want to meet adventure riders and their families, hang out in the parking lot at Walmart. Who knew?
    KaptSlo, MYUMPH and twowings like this.
  6. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Just noticed I’m back in British Columbia. For a B.C. ride I sure spent a lot of time in Alberta!
    RedDogAlberta likes this.
  7. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Woah... THAT'S A LOT OF BEAVER!

and I thought Pahrump had.. oh never mind. :knary
    KaptSlo likes this.
  8. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  9. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Poking around on line, check out this anticline near Grande Cache

[​IMG]
  10. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Grande Cache road cut

[​IMG]
    Todd157k and MYUMPH like this.
  11. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Dalton Creek to Fort Nelson

Another late start, oh well! Started out windy again, I admit after the first 35 miles of getting bashed around by truck blast I was about to find the nearest motel and try again tomorrow. Then the wind let up, yay! Supposed to be sunny and 70s today so I left the vents open on my jacket and wore my summer gloves. Forecast wasn’t so accurate. About 75 miles north I started riding through rain bands, sometimes very heavy, some hail and cold. But they were brief, maybe only a few miles wide so I kept telling myself, that was the last one, looks better up ahead, why stop to close vents and put on winter gloves? This went on for about 125 miles...:lol3

Got the required photograph when in Dawson Creek

[​IMG]

Saw bear #4

[​IMG]

A lot of the ride wasn’t too interesting except for occasional views showing you just how far out in the middle of nowhere this really is. Tomorrow off to Muncho Lake for a couple of nights. And I really need to do some sink laundry.
    72 Yamaha RD350, Todd157k and MYUMPH like this.
  12. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Late start? Perfect! It's vacation time. Enjoy and savour morning coffee as you linger. :D
    Little Bike likes this.
  13. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Almost forgot, having to do some planning this evening. Lodging is scarce around here and booking up fast so I’m having to reserve a few days ahead of time instead of my normal day before. I’d like to stay in Watson Lake for one night, but it’s completely booked. I did find a lodge of some sort 7 miles out of town that’s supposed to have an excellent restaurant. After that it’s a night at Dease Lake then 2 nights somewhere around Hyder so I can go bear watching.
    MYUMPH and B10Dave like this.
  14. ggrant

ggrant Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Watch for bison the next couple of days. They're a lot bigger than you are and virtually live on the highway right of way.
    Enjoy your trip; we're enjoying the RR.
    MYUMPH and Little Bike like this.
  15. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Fort Nelson to Muncho Lake

Slept in a little, short ride today, about 3 hours. The road starts out straight and flat with the trees cut way back, just like yesterday. Passed two couples of Harley trikes, I could hear them waaay before I was close enough to pass. Just a little while after we all pulled over for bear#5

[​IMG]

Hmmm, looks like I’m going to have to post pics later, WiFi just hit glacial speeds. Anyways, beautiful ride, awesome geology (sedimentary rocks, folded mountains, big alluvial fan out of a really steep canyon that must have blocked the Toad River at some point, some coal deposits, a landslide, glacial till, some stuff along the lake that I have no idea about). After the flats the road gets twisty and climbs up and down, in, out and down valleys along rivers. Rode through Stone Mountain Provincial Park, spectacular. Saw some sheep on one pass, no where to pull out for a pic. Apparently, right now the ewes, lambs and immature males hang out and the mature males are off on their own somewhere. I could make a comment here, but I won’t...
    Couldn’t take as many pics as I would have liked, few good shoulders. You really have to make sure you’re well off the road when you stop because of the truck traffic.

So, I’m just sitting here watching the rain on the lake out the window of my cabin and eating chocolate.
    72 Yamaha RD350, twowings and MYUMPH like this.
  16. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Beginning of Stone Mountain PP. it was really misty all day even with the somewhat blue skies.

[​IMG]

Love this sign, it’s a warning for motorcycles and steel grate bridges.

[​IMG]

The road just above the water along Muncho Lake

[​IMG]

View off my cabin porch

[​IMG]
  17. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No chocolate pics? JK, really enjoying this thread!
    Little Bike likes this.
  18. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    So "Life is GOOD!" is essentially what you're saying here, right??? :D
    Little Bike likes this.
  19. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Really enjoying kicking back this morning, going to have lunch at the lodge then head over to Liard Hot Springs. Sounds like I’m going to be doing the mosquito dance though, they’re supposed to be pretty bad there and I don’t have any repellant....

I’m also trying to decide if I want to go to Hadaii Gwaii or not, the ferry only runs day trips (it’s about a 9 hour ride) on certain days otherwise it’s a looong night in a ferry seat. Also, lodging is expensive. Kind of feeling like that should be it’s own trip, plus if I’m going to go there without my sea kayak I’m going to be whining the whole time...
  20. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Lazy morning, had lunch at the lodge, grabbed a towel and my suit and rode to Liard Hot Springs. What an amazing place. It’s $5 to get in with absolutely no time limit, you can rent a towel if needed for $3. You park then there’s this wood boardwalk that takes you across a warm water wetland with beautiful mosses, flowers and grasses then onto drier land with more wonderful plants that have all been preserved because of the raised walkway. I didn’t take my camera, but I had to download some pics from the web.

[​IMG]

In the bottom of the pic is where the spring empties into the pool, and it’s hot! The pool is divided into an upper and lower, the upper was too hot for me. The lower pool has water pouring in over a weir from the upper and a cold waterfall coming in downstream so you can be as hot or cold as you like. Both pools have a natural edge and gravel bottom. Absolutely delightful, I floated around and talked to people for about 2 hours. I was a noodle when I got out.

[​IMG]

The spring

[​IMG]

If you’re up this way you HAVE to go.

Saw bear #6 (right next to the road) and a sad looking caribou on the way back to the cabin. I think a nap is sounding pretty good right now...