Little Martha - an 883 Tribute

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by TheGr8Pumpkin, Aug 17, 2021.

1. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    joenuclear likes this.
  2. Ozarkroadrunner

Ozarkroadrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The detailing on the sissy bar is very nice.
    TheGr8Pumpkin likes this.
  3. TheGr8Pumpkin

TheGr8Pumpkin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Appreciating all the feedback and comments! Just got all six tacked up on both sides!

IMG_1707.jpg

IMG_1710.jpg

IMG_1706.jpg
  4. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    The size changes really sells that DETAIL!

A small stainless wire wrap on the larger "strings", would take it.to the top
    villageidiot and TheGr8Pumpkin like this.
  5. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    back of the sissy bar should look like a guitar neck up top.
    rick danger, AK650, 3legs and 2 others like this.
  6. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    The vertical sides look a little unfinished - is there a way to get the "strings" to die into the center of the rod instead of tangent to it? Or perhaps wrap around and cross horizontally to meet up with the other side?
  7. TheGr8Pumpkin

Oddometer:
    A fair point, the original plan was to have the "strings" connected to the inside portion of the sissy bar supports. Getting those welded in that position given the space, however, would have been extremely difficult. The angles also didn't look quite as good that way given that different widths of rod on the sissy bar and the curve of the bends in the bar. I do plan on smoothing everything out once it is finish welded. Additionally, the license plate bracket will be welded to the back of the bar where the strings end, so that will likely help the transition look a bit smoother.
  8. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    Yep, the license plate will definitely make that work. Good solution.
    AK650, villageidiot and TheGr8Pumpkin like this.
  9. TheGr8Pumpkin

Oddometer:
    The Evo - Iron Head rocker boxes came in. The raw casting is decent, but these definitely need some sanding and polishing, as does the rest of the motor. Overall pretty happy with the fit and look.

IMG_1767.jpg
  10. TheGr8Pumpkin

Oddometer:
    custom paint samples from my buddy who will be doing the paint :evil pretty sure I'm gonna go with the one on the right.

IMG_1317.PNG

The last thing before paint is doing a light tank / frame molding piece and figuring out the foot pegs. I really can't seem to find a set of forward controls that don't look super cheap. I may go with a set of stock mid controls with different foot pegs and some highway pegs. I'm planning on cutting a recess in the swingarm for some custom passenger pegs to fold out of, maybe I will do that with the highway pegs too.

Some additional photos from taking progress pictures for the Biltwell peoples champ submission. Pretty cool competition run on Instagram. If you haven't heard of it give @biltwell_peoples_champ a look. I also put videos of the build on my account @cl.swiney

IMG_8626.JPG

IMG_8596 2.JPG

IMG_8578.JPG
    johnwesley, Helibee, rokon140 and 7 others like this.
  11. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just checked out the Bitwell show. Now that's what I'm talking about.

I noticed it said it's the prelude to the Born Free show. Now that's a show I'd like to get to.

We don't have those sort of shows here in Oz. We have bike shows but they normally consist of the over the top modern style choppers which quite frankly bore the shit out of me. Don't get me wrong they are well done but I think therein lies the problems. They are too well done and most parts are bought off the shelf. They all look the same.
    villageidiot and TheGr8Pumpkin like this.
  12. TheGr8Pumpkin

Oddometer:
    Glad to share and I definitely understand that, most of what led me to making the parts that I have made so far was simply that I didn't want the bike to look the same as every other bike out there, like something you could bolt together in a weekend. Biltwell and Bornfree definitely check those boxes.
  13. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    come on out, born free show is less than 20 minutes from me. I dont have room for visitors, but I could show ya around.
  14. TheGr8Pumpkin

Oddometer:
    The ROUGH beginnings of some frame molding for the tank. Wasn't too worried about stacking dimes with the welder as you can tell because its all going to have to be sanded down and welded back up anyway. I promise I focus more on any structural welds :lol3.

IMG_1954.jpg

IMG_1969.PNG

IMG_1970.PNG

IMG_1978.jpg
  15. TheGr8Pumpkin

Oddometer:
    Getting pretty close before I ran out of welding gas.

5CD194F4-6A5E-4302-80B2-C18E5D8B9A79.jpeg
  16. rokon140

rokon140 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Updates?????
    TheGr8Pumpkin likes this.
  17. TheGr8Pumpkin

Oddometer:
    Progress slowed for a little while after I high-sided while flat track racing hot-rodded minibikes and broke my collarbone . . . then, I had to do some body work and polish up my Cagiva Gran Canyon for the Victory Custom and Vintage Motorcycle show in Savannah, Georgia.

IMG_2738.JPG

Photo Oct 30, 4 27 52 PM.jpg

IMG_2045.jpg

IMG_3776.jpg

Collar bone is feeling pretty stable now and I'm hoping to finish up the frame molding in the next few days. In the meantime, I have worked up a tray for the M-unit, which will help keep the wiring super clean and allow for a one wire brake light. Also used my immobile time in the sling to research some 3D modeling techniques that I will use on a trip down to Macon where I will hopefully be able to scan, 3D print, and aluminum cast a small "Little Martha" figure to add to the the top of Tombstone taillight. I didn't end up making the cut for the Biltwell people's champ competition, but that means there is no deadline to finish the project and now I can add as many minute details as I want.

Little Martha, for reference:
    6a01053629c9ae970c010536a0d926970c.jpg
  18. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    At the risk of sounding insensitive but I couldn't help laughing when you said a high side on a minibike.

I just had this vision of you being about a foot of the ground to be classified as a high side on such a small bike and all in slow motion :lol3:lol3:lol3

Then to see you have a beer in your hand even with a broken collarbone. Respect right there :clap

Just having a laugh at your expense. Us Aussies usually have a laugh at our mates misfortune after coming off his bike unless it's serious then we throw him a beer :lol3
  19. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    a high side is a high side, and a collarbone slam is often the result.

says the guy who’s high sided enough times to separate his shoulder 1/2 dozen times.
  20. TheGr8Pumpkin

Oddometer:
    haha no offense taken. I probably would have walked away unharmed, but when I first came down my shoulder was the first thing to hit the ground and it took all of the weight of the fall. I initially landed on the hard packed dirt of the flat track, which didn't help either.