"Live and Learn" DRZ400e repair saga

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Zapp22, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Zapp22

Zapp22 ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer:
    Well, i'm not too old to learn.

the DRZ just got where it could not fire at all. tried everything MY limited knowledge could muster. ran battery down. recharge, change plug, try again. Three times ran battery all the way dead trying to get any sign of life. Finally tried to take to my BEST wrench and he was stacked, so took to local Honda shop which is only reliable dealer here. thought it would be something easy and I'd be on my way in 24 hours or less. wrong. :(:

Turned out they had to pull the cyl apart. The intake valves were effectively jammed open by carbon buildup, dirt, grime, tar.... whatever. The most obvious reason for this would be former owner running it with dirty nasty air filter, so way too rich, building carbon deposits fast. And, no regular maintenance with Techron or the other stuff that I can't remember [is it 4070 or ?? some numeric].

I don't feel good about this because it shoulda never happened. But, if a bike will not hold compression at all, what are you going to do?

Been riding a lotta years with many bikes but never saw this particular problem before. So..... on all my bikes now I'll be running a cleaner through just prior to each oil change. certainly is cheap insurance.

While it was being worked we changed the cam chain tensioner to a manual one... got the radiator guards on [do those things limit air getting to the radiator? I'm really suspicious.....] putting on the case guards today... that about does it for now. time to finally put that blasted thing on the trail alongside trusty XR650R and see if they like one another

z
  2. Ostrich

Ostrich Jaded and Happy

Oddometer:
    On the bright side you can have confidence in the bike knowing that she's got new shiny bits under the cover.

Hope she treats you well and enjoys getting dirty for you. :nod
  3. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up. I reckon those of us at altitude should pay closer attention to this issue.
  4. apeirce

apeirce Two ears, one mouth.

Oddometer:
    Common opinion is to make sure you watch that manual CCT.

While there have been some failures of early CCTs the new one seems to be reliable, whereas the manual one needs the loose nut behind the bars to maintain it.

Still rolling the dice with the stock one on my '02 so WTF do I know. :1drink
  5. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Without air filter maintenance, all bets are off. My guess is that this is the sole reason for your problems. Running some Techron through the engine now and then is probably a good idea, but I doubt any engine dies like this because of a lack of Techron.

- Mark
  6. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    My thoughts exactly. I'm sure I could screw up the manual one (likely too tight).
    Still going strong at 4800 miles on the original in my '02.
  7. Esteban

Esteban Banned

Oddometer:
    I have never seen an engine that was not real worn out or left standing for a long period have what you described happen.
    Maybe your valve guides and seals are shot ?
    That could create valve stem deposits.
    Anyway, it works now so have fun.
  8. Zapp22

Zapp22 ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer:
    The pleasant surprise is that all the components are in great shape, and the valve shims measured within spec. the valves just simply could not seat properly, so it was blowin' air every which way. the exhaust side was cruddy also but not to the extent the intake was. Everyone in the shop was convinced the prior owner had just run it with a dirty air filter too much, too often. usually a fouled plug would give you the "heads up" if you were not going to take the trouble to check the A/F.... The bike never burned any oil, and actually did not run bad... it was difficult to start but then it finally failed to the point nobody in Texas could get it to fire.

anyways, as all have said "time to go ride now"
    z
  9. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    It's your bike and your decision. But the more recent auto CCTs have been pretty bulletproof, I hear. It was only the early ones that were bad, and the middle years not quite as good as the current ones.

The Manual CCT, the user can screw it up, or fail to maintain it.