LiveWire a fail... so far

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by Snowbird, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    kwthom and neanderthal like this.
  2. sixspeed

sixspeed Put on the WHOLE armor

Oddometer:
    Exiled from the land of gum bands & bottle of pop
    accurate and Dan Diego like this.
  3. CrapKerouac

CrapKerouac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I won't be the first or the last to mention a partial Chinese takeover of Harley Davidson. A pretty predictable outcome these days.
    Dan Diego likes this.
  4. sixspeed

sixspeed Put on the WHOLE armor

Oddometer:
    Exiled from the land of gum bands & bottle of pop
    Not so predictable currently given China’s financial woes.

Possibly after the pre-election crash next year (think 2007).
  5. CrapKerouac

CrapKerouac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sure. I was thinking the Chinese small displacement move that HD has made recently. Maybe the Qianjiang group or another company that would love to get a piece of expansion into Asia and capitalise on the HD brand but as you said, the Chinese economy is slowing.

"pre-election crash" Yeah, a lot of gold being bought right now. The decade long boom and bust cycle is upon us.
  6. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    Who would have believed an electric bike costing 3X what some others can be bought for would not sell like hotcakes to buyers used to removing mufflers to make noise? H-D seems to think their name on the product is worth $20k, lol. So many manufacturers think the path to success is to enter a truly new market near the bottom of the price scale and earn reputation, then slowly add features and performance. Just wait for the next shoe to drop: The PanAmerica adventure bike that will sit in showrooms like it's glued to the floor. Listen, H-D management, start with a small adv bike, then build larger after you EARN some street cred.
  7. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    And it’s sad that Ewan and Charley bought into that debacle...
  8. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    And this would be a good thing?
  9. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will say it in this thread as I said it in others. If I went out and stopped 100 motorcyclist on the road right now then 80% would know about the LiveWire. Maybe, and this is a strong maybe, 30% would have even heard of Zero. Actually that is really generous. I wouldn't actually guess it is even 10%. When Harley starts pimping the Long Way Up(and they will) they will be the only electric bike as far as the general population is concerned. They have already said they will be selling less expensive versions.

This forum is an echo chamber.
    CrazyCooter, oic, ikonoklass and 2 others like this.
  10. MotoChris521

MotoChris521 expert apprentice

Oddometer:
    In my humble non Harley owner opinion, not counting the Livewire
    Harley only makes one type of motorcycle. That's their main problem.
    Almost all other brands have diversified,building not only many different types of bikes, but also quads/sidexsides/scooters.
    Then expanding even farther into outboard motors/yard equipment/generators/cars/trucks/ect... All top of the line stuff.

Harleys are great, if you're into cruisers. Sadly,I am not.
  11. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    Aww. You're in the minority; who would have thought people who like ADV riding would be critical of your sacred cow? I mean, I posted the article 'just because' but now you're making a fool of yourself.
  12. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    They will be less expensive and will be nice Christmas toys.

[​IMG]
  13. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please don't state your limited knowledge about an iconic American manufacturing company as fact. When over 350 other motorcycle manufacturers including Indian went belly up by 1953 Harley remained afloat and strong. The name Indian that's been bought and sold numerous times in the last two decades is not the Indian of yesterday. It's a name, not an American icon since 1901 like they want to claim.
    Yes Harley was asleep while the industry was changing for the last decade but just 20 years ago the brand was so popular you had to wait a year or more for a new bike and even used motorcycles were brings top dollar. Bash the company, bash the riders, blah blah blah you are just being a parrot.
    Since the late 1970's EVERY Japanese motorcycle manufacturer has copied each model Harley has produced. Why is that?
    Harley might be struggling now but if you can't respect what they've done in the motorcycle industry since 1903, and you can't recognize the following they've created then you're closed minded and just hate Harley and anyone or anything associated with them.

It's sad to see any American get pleasure from seeing ANY iconic American business struggle. Maybe I'm just old and miss the good ol days before big box stores and Amazon took over, and before everything was made in China.
  14. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I doubt that Harley expects to sell a large number of Livewires. I think they want to establish some credibility in the E bike arena and use that to help sell less expensive models. That will only work if they come out with some affordable models.
  15. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Harley never had to worry about small affordable bikes. They had the Sportster and that worked.
    Yes... They had blinders on since 2008, are playing catch up and scrambling to do so.
    I don't see myself ever buying a new Harley so I'm not their target audience but I'm sure cheering them on.
  16. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Creating a short-ranged, overpriced E bike just says that they don't understand the market or that they don't know how to build anything but heavy bikes with so-so performance and high prices. If they want credibility, they need good range and performance at affordable prices, from the very start.
    bajaburro and Dan Diego like this.
  17. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Go back far enough and you will find that Harley did offer small inexpensive bikes, even scooters.

They made the Topper from 1960-65

[​IMG]
    Black Rhino and Glenn247 like this.
  18. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes and from 1969-1981 they had dirt bikes golf carts and bowling pin - AMF.
    We're not talking about that.
    Dan Diego likes this.
  19. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    AMF definitely saved Harley. They had money. The quality of the bikes suffered badly. I know, I had a 72 XLCH.
    When the board bought Harley back in 1981 they were separated from AMF and building sporting equipment.
    They focused on doing one thing and doing it well. Motorcycles. Say what you want ( and know little about) but Harley does build a good bike and has for many years.
    Prmurat and Traxx like this.
  20. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there something wrong with you?