LiveWire a fail... so far

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by Snowbird, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ohhh okay, cool.

The range and the charge time are the killers for me. I am looking forward to seeing something better within the next couple of years.
    My requirements for a E Bike are 100miles at Tejas interstate speeds and charged back up in less than 10 min. Oh yea with a fat ass riding the bike. Not a 130lb kid that needs to eat a sandwich.
  2. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    There may be part of my post you missed as I edited while you read. Sorry.
  3. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Okay, I went back and re read it. I can live with the changes you made and still like the post.
    I work in Oil and Gas exploration, so it is my bread and butter.
    I am interested in the EV’s for performance and economy, the greenish aspect is a good side effect.
    Solar and the other non carbon based energy sources need work. As in to be more effective, and we as a people need to pay attention to things that will be more efficient to properly use the energy. Efficiency will do more for us in the long run be it solar, carbon, hydro, wind, or fusion based. Every source of energy has a negative impact on the local and global environment.
  4. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    The thing about the Niken is that it will be a success in Japan. Three wheeled machines are already ubiquitous there. Every delivery service in the country uses three wheeled scooters. Pizza Hut has heated storage boxes on the back to keep the pizzas warm. Korea was much the same. The culture is already in place there, and I think they will get buyers in Asia easily. They took a chance here because of the success of those stupid 3-wheeled cars. Can Am or whatever that ridiculousness is.

Charles.
    Snowbird likes this.
  5. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    Also, this from ADV front page:

https://advrider.com/breaking-harley-davidson-livewire-production-resumes/

Basically, one production Live Wire failed QC testing, production stopped, further testing indicated the failure was limited to that one motorcycle, and production resumed. It still doesn't solve the slow sales, but it is none the less good news. Good news for all, I would think.
  7. tessalino

tessalino Long timer

Oddometer:
    In my experience, (to expound upon your analogy), "Bang on a drum long enough and the whole room empties. "

The EV success is going to be short lived and severely regional. Now, if they can figure out how to put an effective solar collector on the bike so that the rider isn't wedded to his neighborhood chargers...............
    Rollin' likes this.
  8. eight90eight

eight90eight Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    True enough.
  9. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    I rode the Livewire during the initial testing tour. It was a fun bike. If I was rich I would buy one but $45,000 Canadian is a bit much right now.

I would also ride one to Alaska if I had a friend with a Sprinter and a big generator.

I did ride to Dawson City, Yukon, Canada last June 21 (2019) on my beat up 2014 Honda Forza 300 maxi-scooter. That was fun.

I am off to check my lotto ticket next, who knows?
  10. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Setting all that aside, they provide a very unique and enjoyable ride experience in their own right which is all that really matters to me.
    anotherguy and liberpolly like this.
  11. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    You sound old, and cringingly misinformed.
    Snowbird, neanderthal and Motodisiac like this.
  12. SFC_Ren

SFC_Ren Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually he is pretty much spot on correct. You should go back to drinking your soy boy millennial latte' and electric rental scooter.
    Rollin' likes this.
  13. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    You also sound old, misinformed, and prone to stupid stereotyping.
    phughes, Snowbird and neanderthal like this.
  14. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    Why bother with electric vehicles while we still have a line of container ship across the oceans putting out tons of emissions. I doubt all the motorcycles in California combined generate the emissions of one container ship.
    Snowbird and eight90eight like this.
  15. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    Why cannot we do both? Also, we should stop buying endless crap made in China, for sure.

The main allure of electric motorcycles, as many, many riders already posted here, is not emissions - it's how vastly superior they are for city riding.
  16. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I learned an interesting fact while touring Honda a week ago. Seems they found people didn't like the feel of the CVT set up they had, so they engineered in a "shift" feel in them so they felt like a regular automatic. Could be done on an e-bike for a more familiar feel.

The thing I don't understand and need someone with top electrical motor expertise to explain why putting in a gear box would not extend the range of travel per charge. Seems to me if lower motor speeds and lower power draw would extend range why wouldn't having higher gearing available to run at lower "throttle" (aka power) not extend the range. If the motor has good torque why can't it run taller gears at cruising speeds and reduce demand?

Any takers with superior real knowledge? I don't mind if I'm wrong, I just wonder why not? No argument to follow - I don't know anything about e-motors so I have no points to argue.
    sloryder likes this.
  17. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its because gas engines, and electric motors produce power differently.

When the load on a gas engine increases, and rpms drop, so does torque. When the load on an electric motor increases, and rpms drop, torque increases.
  18. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Setting all that aside, they provide a very unique and enjoyable ride experience in their own right which is all that really matters to me.
    liberpolly and HuntWhenever like this.
  19. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    We can do both. It just doesn't make sense to bother with the tiny things but ignore the massive things.
    MotoChris521 and Snowbird like this.
  20. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    You still have your electric bicycle?