LiveWire a fail... so far

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by Snowbird, Oct 7, 2019.

1. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    You are probably right. Give it time though - I expect batteries will get better and people's increased experience with them will lead to more confidence so higher resale. Also I expect it will become easier and cheaper to replace or upgrade batteries.
    ctromley likes this.
  2. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    No and yes. And the cheaper they are to upgrade, the less they hold value.
  3. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    Agreed again - but if I could buy a 5 or 6 yo Livewire for $10K and install an upgraded batt pack with 50-100% more capacity for $2000, I think I'd have a pretty nice bike - especially as I expect to find a lot more charging facilities dotted around by then.
    voltsxamps and Monkeyshines like this.
  4. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    Point.
  5. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Livewire has a max range of 70 miles at 70 mph.
    Some people say they will just take sideroads but even sideroads can have 55 mph+ speed limits so you may need this on the back of the bike for those "long rides".

[​IMG]
    sloryder likes this.
  6. Redoubt

Redoubt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That was cringeworthy, never mind he's a sellout when it comes to the Big Island where he recently appeared. This whole livewire experience was a complete waste of money. Had HD invested in midweight adv bikes they would be taking the money in.
    sloryder likes this.
  7. Monkeyshines

Monkeyshines Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's an odd comment. :scratch
  8. Redoubt

Redoubt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Basically without getting too political the gist of it is. He turned up at Big Island to support protestors at Mauna Kea that do not want the construction of a telescope built on sacred grounds, which on my personal opinion shouldn't be build there. Yet on the other hand he is in full support of the political party that are control there who have given the ok to develop the telescope. He's a total hypocrite and many think he's some Hawaiian God.

Harley providing him with a livewire is just cringeworthy like their Instagram clothing range posts.
  9. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    So he supports an individual issue that you agree with but a political leaning you do not. This therefore somehow invalidates his activities promoting the live wire?

What am I missing here?
    Traxx and MJSfoto1956 like this.
  10. Monkeyshines

Monkeyshines Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe he doesn't support everything whatever political party you're talking about does. And I dont have instagram so I have no idea what your angst is about Harley clothing advertisements.
    Traxx likes this.
  11. Redoubt

Redoubt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That he's a fake. HD are using him because he's the popular cool guy of the moment to market the "bike" to trendy millennials. It's as staged as the NC700X USA launch video Honda did using San Francisco Hipsters with sleeve tattoos. Hey look at me I'm different, buy this bike.
  12. Monkeyshines

Monkeyshines Long timer

Oddometer:

Good grief sleeve tattoos bother you too?
    Traxx likes this.
  13. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    I still fail to see what's the problem is :) Is it some mystical Island logic that is not accessible to us tourists? Of course it's staged. Who is pretending otherwise?
  14. Redoubt

Redoubt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A good bike sells itself. A bad bike needs paid off celebrities to showcase it. This is the wrong move for HD. I'd ride the BMW C Evolution scooter all day if it had the range. EV HD is going to be a disaster, especially with the poor range and road glide ultra pricetag.
    sloryder likes this.
  15. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    Very few things are so lucky as "sells itself". Livewire for Harley is PR exercise much more than a bike to sell, by the way, so it is just silly to expect a PR exercise to sell itself. If you want a practical EV, buy Zero.
    hamiamham likes this.
  16. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    I see. Some things that I have never really thought/cared about have got under your skin. Fair enough.

Using a popular personality to showcase your product(s) is a solid marketing strategy that has worked well for decades (if not centuries.) I know nothing about Jason Momoa, prior to his appearance in recent movies but if he's promoting motorcycling in a positive way, I'm for it. In this case, I'd say it's another shrewd move by H-D, using an old-school Harley enthusiast with a strong following in the supposed target market for their future success.

FWIW, I knew nothing about the guy, prior to this thread, but googling "Jason Momoa, Harley Davidson" finds loads of articles about him building a custom Harley with his kids. I'm not sure how you think he's a fake from a motorcycling or H-D perspective.
    Traxx and Monkeyshines like this.
  17. kwthom

kwthom Retiree apprentice - willing to learn

Oddometer:
    Marketing is now done with 'influencers', especially in social media marketing.

If not in this thread, but certainly others lamenting the current state of motorcycles, many have mentioned that marketing has to be steered to where the buyers are.
    Traxx and liberpolly like this.
  18. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    I think Momoa showing up on SNL in a Harley shirt has done more to Harley and motorcycling in general, than months worth of paid ads, whether it was paid or not.
  19. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    Nobody will be hypermiling on Liveramp. Outside of that, it is a SERIOUSLY fast bike, not just "for a Harley".
    Monkeyshines likes this.
  20. cybrdyke

cybrdyke In the Dark

Oddometer:
    way back up in the woods among the evergreens
    Cringeworthy? FFS.
    Traxx likes this.