LiveWire a fail... so far

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by Snowbird, Oct 7, 2019.

1. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    So I submitted a keyword search “Livewire” on YouTube, hoping to see some owner reviews, but unless they’re somehow mis-titled, all I got were vlog/site test rides, first ride reviews, videos from HD, etc. :dunno

Seems like there should be at least a few videos uploaded by now if they’re out in the wild, even by those who’ve seen one that was owner ridden. Perhaps those that bought them so far have placed them in storage as a collectors/investment item? If anyone finds a video or photos of a Livewire that appear to be other than a demo ride, I’d love to see them posted.
    Traxx likes this.
  2. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been watching the Harley Livewire Forum to see if anyone received their bike … no reports.
    https://www.hdlivewireforum.com/

voltsxamps likes this.
  3. Crilly

Crilly Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went to Headquarters yesterday and found out mine we’ll be built 12/17 and shipped 12/20.
    Monkeyshines and liberpolly like this.
  4. Rollin'

Oddometer:
    When did you order it?
  5. Crilly

Oddometer:
    Early on.
  6. hamiamham

hamiamham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Two things come to mind...

Given HD's typical margins on bikes, if need be, they can cut the price pretty radically and still breakeven.

Maybe it was never meant to be a commercial success. The Livewire has gotten a ton of free press. Painted HD in a different light perhaps.
  7. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-1/4 mile N of International Falls, MN
    [QUOTE="hamiamham, post: 38718417, member: 167964
    Maybe it was never meant to be a commercial success. The Livewire has gotten a ton of free press. Painted HD in a different light perhaps.[/QUOTE]

But what is your definition of “commercial success “. ? I think your final line in your quote nails it as to what they want from this. If anyone at HD signed up for this production thinking it would be a big sales numbers unit, they should be given the boot.

Examples from auto world... Dodge Viper ... Ford GT
    Never sold in large quantities but both probably considered a success?

In the bike world from years ago stuff like the Honda CX500 Turbo and (in Canada) NS400 sold in very low numbers but probably a success with the “buzz” they created
  8. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    They would sell a lot more at $10K lower price. They would also not be getting all the "over-priced" criticism and editorials discussing how they have missed the mark with their target market. If the bike is truly meant to be a low/no margin "promotional" model then the loss (if there was one) would be immaterial.
  9. Fireblot

Fireblot Fireblot

Oddometer:
    Any road, going anywhere, away from work.
    I still remember the cold shoulder that Buell owners got from Harley-istas. Even Sportsters get dissed by Big Twin guys. The 'Wire' faces an uphill battle.
  10. Boonah

Boonah n00b

Oddometer:
    We must frequent the same websites lol lol
    I would say, think 1933.
  11. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    It’s up to Harley to have the balls to stop pandering to their traditional customers by shutting out those who don’t conform to the “lifestyle” bullshit! If they can’t do that, any innovations in their product line are doomed to fail.
  12. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    As I've posted previously elsewhere, Gasoline Alley HD in Red Deer, Alberta (100,000 people halfway between Edmonton and Calgary) refused to change the oil on my Buell XB12XT as they weren't a "Buell" dealer. That is, drain oil from the Sportster engine, spin on a new Sportster filter and add new oil to the Sportster engine and bill me. They referred me 90 miles either way to Edmonton or Calgary.

I would have stripped their HD franchise in a heartbeat. There needs to be a dealer housecleaning. These assholes are doing the company no favours. I shudder to imagine the Livewire in the hands of dealers like Gasoline Alley.
    Traxx likes this.
  13. nevada72

nevada72 Milwaukeeish

Oddometer:
    The Livewire is being embraced by dealers here in Milwaukee. One just posted (on FB) that they received their shipment of 4 Livewires and were preparing them for their owners.
    Traxx likes this.
  14. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    unless I win the lottery, I am not buying a live wire. It was a lot of fun to ride, and if I had one it would get ridden.
    Rod
    Monkeyshines likes this.
  15. cybrdyke

cybrdyke In the Dark

Oddometer:
    way back up in the woods among the evergreens
    Local dealer received theirs today (3 pre-sold) with another delivery scheduled mid-december (3 more).
    Traxx likes this.
  16. Crilly

Oddometer:
    One of the girls from headquarters bike came in but she doesn’t want it tell spring. THANK YOU. The dealer did his set up on Tuesday. I rode it to my place of work to finish my set up. Added The leather/brass tour pack and a relay for my electric jacket, glove and pants.

Rained all day today so I well ride it more tomorrow.
    Traxx and ctromley like this.
  17. Geoff

Geoff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Given its high price, I believe the LiveWire was developed to appease shareholders and change public perception. Zero and Lightning sell equivalent models for half the price.
    Traxx likes this.
  18. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Livewire was/is intended as a Halo product. Even says so in the press release by HD.
  19. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    The crucial issue for HD is who's buying it. For the buyers it's a win if they like it and feel it's worth it, no matter who they are. If they're primarily existing HD customers, it's a failure for HD. The whole point of this exercise is to broaden their base.

The price will keep overall sales low. If the proportion of new HD buyers is low, those buyers won't even be a perceptible blip in HD's sales figures. If it's a halo product to highlight the smaller cheaper stuff that's coming, they still need to attract the attention of those non-HD buyers, and those smaller cheaper electric offerings will be competing in a fierce market that includes Asian manufacturers, who absolutely dominate it. So I'm betting HD's offerings will made in Asia, but the sky-high pricing that HD relies upon now for their fat margins simply won't work. The market will rightly think they're crazy.

This extremely narrow needle that HD is trying to thread is one of the biggest challenges any corporation has had to face. They became a literal textbook example for how branding can save a company with their 1980's resurrection. I guarantee you they will make the textbooks again with this current challenge, regardless of outcome. I hope it's a good one.

The Livewire is an attractive product (with a couple of major unforced errors). But for HD's future it's not about the bike. It's not even about raw sales figures, really - it's all about new buyers.
  20. Rollin'

Oddometer:
    If they overprice the Pan America it will be another "Halo" bike. :lol3
    Geoff, Mattbastard and Traxx like this.