Living in S. Korea. Want to get into motorcycling

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Taelan28, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Taelan28

Taelan28 Thunder

Oddometer:
    Hey. I rented a KSR in Thailand and ever since I've got the itch to ride a bike. The pictures and stories you post are exactly the way I hope motorcyling will be for me. Does anyone live in Korea that can help me find a club and start riding a dirt bike?
  2. Taelan28

Taelan28 Thunder

Oddometer:
    Pitty bump.
  3. CourtFisher

CourtFisher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    http://www.bmwmck.co.kr/introduce.php
    BMW Motorrad Klub of Korea

Even if you're not into BMWs, it's a place to start, and they can tell you about other clubs/ off-road or on.

Hope you read Korean; Google is not translating the Korean script.
  4. Taelan28

Taelan28 Thunder

Oddometer:
    Well I can read it, but unfortunately I cannot understand it. I'll try to fiddle with it and drop a line on the message boards. Can anyone else help me?
  5. Happy Buddha

Happy Buddha Explorer Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. docjsh

docjsh Seoul Rider

Oddometer:
    There are/were a few of us on this forum residing around Korea. I ride a Suzuki DL1000 VStrom, which is good for cruising the backroads of Korea and the occasional gravel road I find. I've done a few 2-day rides around the peninsula and hope to do some longer trips when it warms up.

There are several websites to find bikes, passo.co.kr and bikemart.co.kr. Both are in Korean but with a little practice, they are relatively easy to navigate.

You have to have a Korean driver's license to legally ride any bike and any bike larger than 125cc requires a motorcycle specific license. The motorcycle test requires a short riding test (see example at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fprU7_-mgos. The test starts at about 1:24). There are institutes that teach you how to pass the test, but give you little in the way of real riding experience. If you have the opportunity, take a MSA Basic Rider course. If you are military or SOFA, you can probably do that at Kunsan, just ask around.

I rode a scooter here for more than a year before visiting the States and getting training and licensing there to ride a motorcycle. I found it very valuable. Korean drivers require your head to be on a swivel, so being comfortable on a bike before entering the Korean traffic situations that you'll be presented with.

Good luck.
  7. Taelan28

Taelan28 Thunder

Oddometer:
    Thank you. I'll keep looking into the matter, starting with a driver's license.
  8. longwaybackhome

longwaybackhome --------------

Oddometer:
    Good day,

In this ride report you can see some more details of the driver's license test.

Best regards from Busan.
  9. Taelan28

Taelan28 Thunder

Oddometer:
    thanks. It looks really hard with that big bike and no practice. The good news is the bike I want is only 124 cc the Daelim Roadwin. I like it. Looks like a good starter bike.