Living in Santa Clarita

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by turbodmac, Mar 31, 2018.

1. turbodmac

turbodmac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking for some insight on the Santa Clarita area. The wife has a possible relo offer that would have her working in Simi Valley. We just spent spring break in the Huntington Beach area and were able to drive though Santa Clarita briefly but are interested in some local knowledge.
    Is a commute from Santa Clarita to Simi reasonable? Are there any other areas in a reasonable commuting distance to Simi that offer single family homes with a bit of property? Places to avoid? Any opinions or insight is welcome. Thanks.
  2. palada

palada Perma-n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why not closer to Simi Valley itself? If you’re looking for more space, that area and nearby like Moorpark might fit. Is there a specific reason you’re looking at Santa Clarita?
  3. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I do that drive every day.. for 12 years. Going from Simi to Santa Clarita is easy peasy (6am departure, 4pm return). Not really much traffic either way. Not empty fwy, just not backed up. Going home is a little more congested but still moves at speed.
    Going from S.C. to Simi is a nightmare.. every day. I look across the fwy and wonder why those people put up with that shit. Most are going down into San Fernando Valley, and Los Angeles. yuuuk. You can buzz in/out the 126 which is a very pleasant, rural hwy and cuts through the hills. It dumps you out in Moorpark therefore, it takes about 20 mins longer (compared to no traffic on the 5/118 route).
    Summary: Much better to live in Simi or Moorpark and commute to S.C.
    As for local riding.. Rowher flats is pretty decent OHV park and Hungry Valley isn't too bad either. The hills in S.C. have several 'truck trails' that are open to ride if you have a plate on your bike. From there, it's head out to the desert. Not my first choice of riding terrain however it's not bad.
  4. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why Santa Clarita?

Live in Simi Valley or Moorpark. Santa Clarita is much hotter and the commute from Santa Clarita to Simi sucks as it is on the tail end of the nightmare commute from "Palmcaster". Simi has a collection of brand new homes to older homes built in the 60's. If not Simi Valley, the Porter Ranch area close to Simi Valley has a fine range of newer homes too.

I've lived in Simi Valley for 30 years and it's going to be hard to move if and when I ever have to.
  5. Todd157k

Oddometer:
    oh ya.. one other thing.. Simi/Moorpark is in Ventura County. SC is in LA county. Ventura has lower sales tax, and property tax. We're also not part of the LA unified school.. so we miss all that bullchit.
    JustKip and Strong Bad like this.
  6. FJKai

FJKai Off Road Lurker

Oddometer:
    As talked about by others, the commute "into" the valley is a nightmare from there because not only is about 95% of Santa Clarita coming south into the valley and beyond, but also 99% of Palmdale, Lancaster, Acton etc., etc., are also coming down the 14 fwy, all converging at the 5 fwy. Once you get to the 118/ Simi fwy it's not too bad, but getting there is the problem. The direction you are talking about commuting is definitely going in the WRONG direction for less traffic, you are pretty much getting in line with everyone else that is commuting in and out of L.A..

And and coming home or leaving work "early" for a three day holiday weekend.......yikes. Not only are you contending with the normal daily commuters, but also with pretty much the rest of L.A. and beyond that are heading north for the holiday too. We've ALL been there no matter where we live in So. Cal..

The other thing you mention is you want a home with a little more space/ land. In Santa Clarita it can be quite a commute just to reach the fwy, so just getting to and from the fwy to your home can be an extra 20+ mins.

I myself have lived in Simi for over 30+ years, crazy the changes and growth I've seen, but it's a great location (simi/ moorpark/ Thousand Oaks area). You are in Ventura County, you are outside of the L.A./ valley, but a stone's throw away if you need to be there, and you are close to great beaches that are less crowded and easier to get to.

I'll admit, having more space/ land in So Cal is tough anywhere unless you are willing to really shell out for it, or live further out and are willing to deal with a long commute. I'm lucky (at times) I guess, I live on a 1/2 acre lot in Simi Valley, but I'll tell you, when our Santa Anna winds come I'm wishing I lived on a 6,000 sqft lot!!!
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  7. turbodmac

Oddometer:
    Thanks all, this is great 411! Santa Clarita was only mentioned from randomly picking an area base on a house for sale. I'll start looking into Moorpark and the surrounding area as well. The lower taxes and beach proximity are definte pluses. By the way, after driving in Cali all week, wtf do y'all even have speed limits posted?:lol3
    RAZR likes this.
  8. Todd157k

Oddometer:
    Kinda like stop signs, it's more of a "guide line" than a rule. :imaposer
    Chillis and Chaostrophy like this.
  9. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those are for the state and local revenue generators in uniform. General rule of thumb is, as long as you're doing less than 10 over, they'll look for somebody faster to stop, because they get more money for the same investment of their time.
    neanderthal and Chaostrophy like this.
  10. turbodmac

Oddometer:
    That's the rule of thumb most places, but getting passed doing 80 in a 65 was happening a lot! Lol

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  11. Todd157k

Oddometer:
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  12. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Neighbor just retired as CHP motors. Rule out of the Moorpark CHP office is to write tickets for anything over 10% of the posted speed limit, NOT 10mph! Using laser he would be writing a new ticket every 20 min on the 118 fwy. So yes, there are gazillions of people doing 80 in a 65, doing so is at your own risk. Got a ticket in Taxas a couple of months ago for 80 in a 70, State Bubba said it was more than 10% over. Seems to be kind of universal.
  13. Fubars

Fubars What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer:
    Get a good street bike and learn to lane split your commute.
    HanzoSteel and neanderthal like this.
  14. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    "The wife has a possible relo offer that would have her working in Simi Valley"
  15. turbodmac

Oddometer:
    This is all premature but what's the process to plate my bike there? Inspection required? How often?
  16. Fubars

Fubars What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer:
    Take my word for it, regardless of where the wife is working you're going to want to split lanes anywhere you need to go with your bike. You take the title to the DMV, wait 3 hours behind a boat load of immigrants standing in line and tell them you want to register your bike in CA. If it's got more than 7500 miles on the clock, you're cool. Our shithead legislature in Sacramento raised DMV fees last year, so bring plenty of money when you walk in there.
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  17. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    What bike? Already plated? If already plated, you can go to AAA in Simi Valley and do it there rather than the DMV down the street.

No annual inspections.
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  18. dzrtracin

dzrtracin ride'n 2 live Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fixed
    swimmer likes this.
  19. rmance

rmance Current state of the Stelvio!

Oddometer:
    I live in Santa Clarita. Been here for about 24 years. It used to be a great place to live. Too many people on the roads, in the stores, you name it! There are definitely no shortage of a-holes. You mention you want property ... nobody has mentioned living in Fillmore and commuting over Grimes Canyon to Simi Valley. More laid back with a farming atmosphere. I haven't priced property there but it has to be more affordable than Simi!
    Boxerbreath likes this.
  20. Beemer Dood

Beemer Dood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can cut way down on the wait at the DMV by making an appointment. I've never waited longer than about 15-20 minutes. Here's the link. https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/portal/foa/welcome

I don't know if you're interested, but in Ventura County, you can get a CCW almost for the asking after jumping thorugh some minor hoops. Forget about it in LA County.