1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

Living & Working off a Motorcycle in America - How long will it last?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by dredman, Jul 27, 2020.

1. dredman

dredman Dirty Moto-Tourist

Oddometer:
    I left the rally with my new friend Tim who was traveling in the same direction.

MYUMPH, TonyKZ1 and x32792 like this.
  2. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    Enjoy.
  3. dredman

Oddometer:
    Camping outside of Silverton Co

MYUMPH and x32792 like this.
  4. dredman

Oddometer:
    First trip up tp Grand Mesa in 3 years, a bit disappointing due to smoke, but still a spectacle, and a cool drone shot/crash

MYUMPH likes this.
  5. 1854cc

1854cc n00b

Oddometer:
    7 days to go until your 2 month on the road is done. Looking forward to your conclusion, but from what I can see it looks like you've taking to this like fish to water.
    Like many others here I am a fan of Scooter Tramp Scotty and often wish I could live that life style. I can here you says why don't ya...the answer is my Kahunas aren't as big as yours or Scottys.
    Keep up the vids, love it.
    rsm8
    BrockEvan and dredman like this.
  6. dredman

Oddometer:
    This lifestyle is easy out West, lots of public land, resources, endless magnificence, and a real REASON to live on your bike. Not sure this life translates as well on the east coast? There are several people I have met that are doing similar, with the help of other bikers - Bunk a Biker is one of the resources they use to find refuge on the road - https://www.facebook.com/groups/babnorthamerica/
    I have used the group twice, and both were great experience, if anyone hits the road they should consider the same.
    klaviator and EZMoney like this.
  7. dredman

Oddometer:
    Running from storms, Tim and I found ourselves in Routt National Forest.
    EZMoney, dtysdalx2 and MYUMPH like this.
  8. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just glad to be here.

Oddometer:
    Great video's!
    BrockEvan and dredman like this.
  9. dredman

Oddometer:
    After rolling solo out of Routt NF, I found myself camping on the Yampa River in NW Colorado

gulfcoaster, EZMoney and MYUMPH like this.
  10. dredman

Oddometer:
    Just a few miles away from the last camp spot, rolling down into Sand Canyon and into Echo Park proved to be a huge surprise. Not only did deep sand almost dump me on my ass 3x, I was almost blown away literally, and figuratively by weather and spectacular landscapes. The ride into the eastern section of Dinosaur NM will not be soon forgotten.

CDillard and MYUMPH like this.
  11. dredman

Oddometer:
    All the places I had looked at on a map but for some reason, never visited, were getting all the attention this trip. My big goal for this leg of the journey was to make a quick trip out and back to Flaming Gorge, and then roll back into Colorado to meet up with a subscriber - it was rougher than I expected.

MYUMPH, gulfcoaster and borderlinebob like this.
  12. dredman

Oddometer:
    on my way back from Flaming Gorge, I needed to camp somewhere, and I thought of a spot in Dinosaur I wanted to try out - a spot on top of the mesa, turned out to be cliff-side camping.....

MYUMPH and borderlinebob like this.
  13. dredman

Oddometer:
    A subscriber from YouTube contacted me, and we arranged to meet up and hang out in Colorado. His first time ever leaving the state on his motorcycle, he was bold enough to ride from coastal North Carolina, with some encouragement (I may have called him a pussy?) I intended to meet him back on Grand Mesa, hoping to secure the magical spot that had eluded Tim and I many days before - I got very lucky.

BrockEvan, SoloRider73 and MYUMPH like this.
  14. dredman

Oddometer:
    As my riding buddy Eben and I rolled out of Grand Mesa for shelter from the weather, we stopped in Moab to explore and camp, and we ran into more weather than we bargained for.

MYUMPH likes this.
  15. dredman

Oddometer:
    After leaving Moab and the cold, Eben and I rolled into the Bonneville Salt Flats for the afternoon, and camping on the other side of the mountains. It wound up being very cold and windy, and we were in a hurry to leave the next morning. A tricky hillside distracted us from the true dangers of the sandy road below.

GoThere@50 and MYUMPH like this.
  16. dredman

Oddometer:
    After leaving Bonneville Salt Flats, Eben and I rolled up into Idaho and did some stealth camping beside a reservoir in American Falls. It was nice having the change in temperature and a nice grassy tent space.

MYUMPH likes this.
  17. dredman

Oddometer:
    Eben & I rolled northeast out of Idaho and into The Tetons to camp, and found that motorcycle camping in the Teton National Parks was not gonna happen, so we wandered over the pass into Teton National Forest to camp overnight. Wild camping above Dubois, Wyoming turned out to be much colder than expected.

Jedi2Rider, Bacchusman and MYUMPH like this.
  18. dredman

Oddometer:
    My nemesis on the road is filth. After splitting off from Eben in Dubois, I headed north into the Wyoming desert to get a well deserved bath - a stealth bath on the side of the road in a creek.

MYUMPH, Jedi2Rider and x32792 like this.