Living & Working off a Motorcycle in America - How long will it last?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by dredman, Jul 27, 2020.

1. RhinoVonHawkrider

RhinoVonHawkrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just fantastic.

Spent the day watching videos - up to episode 19!

Thanks for sharing.

I tell people that they need to travel in America, Europe is great but America is too!!

Stay safe
    ExOze and dredman like this.
  2. RebelYell

RebelYell Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow this is really awesome to see and hear..I've heard so many times im gonna do this and do that and it fizzles out like a fart..cool to see someone has the gumption n sticktoiveness to pull it off.
    dredman likes this.
  3. dredman

dredman Dirty Moto-Tourist

Oddometer:

I agree, I want to see more of the world too, but have been telling my world-travelling friends "I want to see America first!!"

Episode 19? WOW! Should be close to 40 episodes when I finish (and post them)
  4. dredman

Oddometer:
    I have changed my life dramatically to have my adventures, most people are unwilling to give up all those comforts - I see it EVERY DAY!
  5. dredman

Oddometer:
    After leaving Greybull Wyoming, I crossed the Big Horn National Forest headed towards the Black Hills of South Dakota riding my motorcycle on US-14

borderlinebob and johnnybgood8 like this.
  6. tsingi

tsingi Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. tsingi

tsingi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I despise campgrounds, noisy people there, but they do have showers. So do public pools, for a few bucks you can go for a swim and clean up.
    I just bought a Meerkat from System76 to mount on my Bumblebee. It will be an Open Street Map server for my 7" rugged industrial tablet that is waterproof and has all the sensors I need including GPS.
    So my 1988 R100GS is about to become the most powerful computer I've ever had. I used to call it the wheels for my bugout bag, not sure what to call it now.
    I look outside and I see snow. This makes me sad.
    TonyKZ1, Liberty4Ever and dredman like this.
  8. Dpet

Dpet n00b

Oddometer:
    Simple. It’s a case of how low can u Tolerate the bar for comfort..! While making enough $ to survive..... the more $ the higher the bar raises :) aint rocket science
    dredman likes this.
  9. dredman

Oddometer:
    I like the way you think!!
    tsingi likes this.
  10. dredman

Oddometer:

It works easier in the other direction certainly. While a $5k daily budget opens up LOTS of options, I think most of us may never have that kind of a budget. So opening up options for most of us requires that you lower your bars of comfort.

Sadly, most folks are unwilling to do that, and miss out on amazing adventures.
  11. Dpet

Dpet n00b

Oddometer:
    I agree. I’m 68 and doing this lifestyle most all my life ..on my old Harley in southwest at the moment. If u can get thru the learning curve , it gets much easier older ya get. But just as fun !! Best advice I can give is find the system that works for u. We all do this life on the road lifestyle differently.
    dredman likes this.
  12. dredman

Oddometer:
    I have met enough folks in the last year doing it, I now wonder if I should continue to be shocked how many folks are doing it, or confused about why there are not more?
    sprouty115 and MargaritaMotoress like this.
  13. dredman

Oddometer:
    Found some awesome free camping just south of Sturgis, got a new rear tire mounted, and charged my batteries a bit with my solar setup.

14. MargaritaMotoress

MargaritaMotoress AKA Tigger

Oddometer:
    I left on my Thin Line Ride in Septnof 2016. As in there's a thin line between doing something stupid and doing something brave and I wasn't sure which one quitting my career in my 50s was to ride for a year and here I am in year five!

My average daily budget is $30/day. That's for food, fuel, bike maintenance (2002 Triumph Tiger 955i), and tires. I don't pay for camping and never hotel it. Streams, lakes, ponds, and Tent Space for showers.

I have been overwhelmed by the kindness and generosity of complete strangers along the way - both riders and non-riders. Some have become close and dear friends.

Epic adventures like this DO change who we are in the most amazing ways! I was lucky to leave pre-COVID. Madagascar, South Africa, all 49 continental US States, all the Canadian provinces, and a few Mexican states.

All I can say to those who have s desire to do it is to just do it. Things work out along the way! IMG_20200112_133834_620.jpg
    FB_IMG_1603493424894.jpg FB_IMG_1586817243864.jpg FB_IMG_1569946802458.jpg
    dano619, Vt-Stromer, skibum69 and 7 others like this.
  15. CPTJAM

CPTJAM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have done 30k miles a year for the last 10 years. Travel is mostly for work, but get to ride to do it. Up until now, have stayed in hotels. Daily budget was $250, for two of us. Gas, hotel, meals. Trying something different this year - RV lifestyle. Got a big toy hauler and a big truck. I spent 22 years as a soldier, so slept on the ground plenty of times. I like to be more comfortable than camping, so, we are trying this out for 6 months. I also have too much stuff/tools/possessions/etc to do this full time permanently. Our tour is going to be fun!!
    steved57, sieg, mikegc and 2 others like this.
  16. dredman

Oddometer:
    Impressive!

Questions:
    Do you find yourself getting uncomfortable when you are in one spot for more than a few days?
    Are you compelled to keep moving?
    Do you have daily/monthly goals, or do you blow with the wind?
    Do you see yourself settling in, or down again?
    Have you found places that are hard to leave, or that "feel like home"?
    Do you find it hard to communicate with people WHY you do this?
    Name two things you would have done differently, had you known____?

I have more questions..... :D
  17. dredman

Oddometer:
    Not a big fan of ground camping either, I hang between trees mostly, but also spent almost 2 years glamping in a toy hauler - man that is the way to go! Always having most of the comforts of home nearby, good shelter, dry, warmth, tools, etc.
    Not having to figure out how to carry stuff everyday, or what you must leave behind/sacrifice is much easier on your mind. Makes for much better riding, with less weight, more miles, more destinations are in range.
  18. jathkajoe

jathkajoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    MargaritaMotoress,
    Looking forward to the rest of your Thin Line RR.

jathkajoe
  19. dredman

Oddometer:
    Riding my motorcycle on Iron Mountain Road and Needles Highway before stealthing on the mountain. Motorcycle camping can be found in most places, even places where you might think that tourists will not be able to. Sometimes even I am surprised how awesome these spots can be.

20. MargaritaMotoress

MargaritaMotoress AKA Tigger

Oddometer:
    Answers to your Questions:
    Do you find yourself getting uncomfortable when you are in one spot for more than a few days?
    The first year I moved every day. Camping in a new place. Mostly because I thought i only had 14 months and wanted to do and see as much as possible. The 14 months was how long I'd leased my house out for. And I'd figured the pot of money I'd set aside for this ride would last that long.
    After I decided to extend the ride the second year I tended to spend 2 to 10 nights in an area and tended to do more hub and spoke rides. The third year I tended find freelance work that included room and board and would stay somewhere for a few weeks or months. Year 4 was COVID-19 so I just essentially stayed put and picked up work. I was headed to Central America when COVID-19 hit and borders started to close. In June I rode to Colorado and in Sept took a live-in position in Boulder for the winter in healthcare on the frontline so it comes w vaccines!

Are you compelled to keep moving?
    Definitely the first year I was! As the years have gone on I still have the urge to just get on and ride. I kept expecting that the urge might abate and fade, but it hasn't yet! COVID-19 has me super antsy.

Do you have daily/monthly goals, or do you blow with the wind?
    The plan was - there is no plan. So I was completely open to whatever happened my way. Work. Meals. Things to do and see. Not hurt myself. Have fun. Enjoy the moment. Being present.

Do you see yourself settling in, or down again?
    I still own a house so I need to eventually either go back and live in it or sell it! I am blessed w exceptional tenants (also riders). I guess if I am completely honest w myself I eas hoping to find a man to lure me in off the road. But sadly, that's hasn't happened! I met and criss-crossed all if N America for six months w a Canadian I met. But he broke my heart in Alaska in the summer of 2018.

Have you found places that are hard to leave, or that "feel like home"?
    I love SE Asia. And parts of the SW US. Home these days is where the Tiger is parked and tent is pitched!

Do you find it hard to communicate with people WHY you do this?
    Ha ha ha. Folks either "get it" or no amount of talking will help them understand why I had to do it and why I'm still doing it. To some it seems completely whacked to not know where you're going to sleep from night to night or where you're headed. But it's ultimate freedom. Especially doing so solo. I can be completely selfish. Sleep in or break camp at 4AM if I like. Stay in my camp chair and relax and read on my Kindle all day I if i don't feel 100%. I have a very strong self preservation gene and riding solo means I'm neither setting, nor slowing the pace.

Name two things you would have done differently, had you known____?
    Absolutely! Notthing!

PM me for morw questions or a phone/video chat? Not so sure everyone wants to read about it.