Living & Working off a Motorcycle in America - How long will it last?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by dredman, Jul 27, 2020.

1. MargaritaMotoress

MargaritaMotoress AKA Tigger

Oddometer:
    Yeah. It turned out to be too much work. I realized I'm living it and not sure folks wanted to read about it!
  2. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    For what it's worth, here's at least one who is very interested in the questions and the answers!

...ken...
  3. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Add me to the list...

Edit: of course it's entirely up to the OP...
    dredman and MargaritaMotoress like this.
  4. Ringosdad

Ringosdad The Dogfather Supporter

Oddometer:
    Enjoying the videos! I’m up to you and Tim a camping went!! I have to admit, I struggled a little watching you try to fill your bag with water for washing clothes!! Lol!!!
    dredman likes this.
  5. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever n00b

Oddometer:
    I just spent three days binge watching the Giant Moto videos from the last six months. I'm hooked. I'm going to go back and see how this tale began and catch up on all the weird twists and turns along the way. So far, it's been informational (which I love) but it's been even more motivational. Thanks, Don.

I won't take off for a couple of months, but I'm a 60 year old returning rider with a new ADV bike. There's snow here now. I bought a lot of gear even though I already had a lot of ultralight camping gear. I'm making upgrades to the new bike (heated grips, USB charging ports, GPS, GPS tracker, etc.). When spring arrives, I'll take an overnight trip that's 150 miles round trip. Then a three day and two night 720 mile round trip to visit a friend for a day. Then maybe a two week minimally planned nomadic stealth camping trip in the southwest - a loop from Kentucky to Utah and back a different route. It's been forever since I've had a vacation.
    dredman and jathkajoe like this.
  6. jathkajoe

jathkajoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Q&A is interesting. Learning how others think and what and why they value make choices in helpful. I'd welcome the OP to continue that tangent.

MargaritaMotoress, I've no idea how much work an RR is, whether in real time or after the ride but I have a high appreciation for all who write them. Your writing caught my attention; I'd enjoy a continuation of your RR.
    Jathkajoe
    dredman likes this.
  7. dredman

dredman Dirty Moto-Tourist

Oddometer:
    well obviously folks are interested in your story, and as far "stepping on my thread", I think your story deserves it's own thread, and I would be more than happy to start that one (not that your posts are not welcome - as this is more response than I have had in many weeks :) )

I have more questions - we can PM !!
  8. dredman

Oddometer:

Don't be silly - you can see that is not true!
  9. dredman

Oddometer:
    Colorado weed man, sorry...it was totally a struggle...shocked I did not fall in the damn creek TBH!
    Ringosdad likes this.
  10. dredman

Oddometer:
    Returning rider? Take a refresher course, maybe one that does more than street basics(think dirt class) - get very comfortable on the bike, know where you can go & can't, especially stealthing around - great spots are only a few hundred yards away from pavement, but sometimes 10 feet into the dirt is chaos.
    Check out my gymkhana videos to build some quick skills and reach a nice level of comfort and confidence quickly.

I am excited about your trip - you gonna do a RR?
  11. dredman

Oddometer:
    I am fascinated with nomads on bikes - only been talking to them less than a year, only tried to emulate them for 2 months (here)
    Winter is a tough one above Mexico.
    MargaritaMotoress likes this.
  12. Aces&8s

Aces&8s Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I stumbled across your YouTube channel last year and have managed to binge watch a few of your journeys. I wish you luck on your upcoming travels and look forward to following along.
    dredman likes this.
  13. X-wing fighter

X-wing fighter Do or Do not, There is no try!!!!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    @dredman oh how I dream of freedom! Glad you are out there doing what so many of us wish we could be doing right now!

I wish my escape was as simple as loading up and going, but winter and the Canadian border are holding me back....... maybe in the spring someone can send me a job offer in the lower 48 so I can escape Alaska without having to fly my bike out. I don't need or want a job, just need the excuse.

Keep up the good work!
    dredman likes this.
  14. jathkajoe

jathkajoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    X-wing,
    Buy a bike to keep Outside. Fly and ride any time you wish.
    Jathkajoe
    dredman likes this.
  15. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    I'm formulating my plan. It's probably not going to go over well, but the probable title of my epic ride is going to be..."WTF was I thinking? Doing it all wrong, but still doing it!"

I haven't started the ball rolling yet, but just to get moving is going to be hell. Should be interesting.
    MargaritaMotoress and dredman like this.
  16. dredman

Oddometer:
    I am putting all my binge-watchers on a list.... I am not sure if you should be concerned about that, but I wanted to disclose that info :)
  17. dredman

Oddometer:
    Just so happens....I have the perfect position for you..... do you need me to type something up? Apply for a 'certificate of need' to get you past the border?
  18. dredman

Oddometer:
    It starts with a plan, or simply kicking that lever that starts the engine?

So many people are in such a bad space right now, not sure why 20% of the population just don't say F#ck it?
    Just jump on and see if the road might have some answers!
    MargaritaMotoress likes this.
  19. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    @dredman I'm just planning an exit from Alaska that doesn't totally ruin me.

1. Have to make sure "legally" the soon to be EX-wife can't touch me. It's been going downhill for years, but she will still be vindictive even though I am leaving her everything.

2. Put gears in motion for her to sell the house. We are way on the plus side, so she will make a profit and hopefully that will keep her from being too vindictive.

3. I have 2 motorcycles I love that I need to make sure they are safe, but I can only ride one at a time. Thinking of putting one in storage to ride out in 2022 or 2023 when I can enjoy Canada.

Basically my sh*tty plan is:

1. Prep and pack 2 bikes for long trips.
    2. Prep the little bit of stuff I'm keeping.
    3. Prep a power of Attorney.
    4. Set a schedule and budget with my contactor.
    5. Ship my crap and put 1 bike in storage.
    6. Inform the soon to be EX-wife that I am leaving, crank my bike and ride.

I am literally riding away from my life! Yes, f@&king stupid, I already know.

The Wife will end up with 20000-120000 profit from the house depending on what she decides to do and how much she lets the contractor do. I don't plan on Divorce, so she will also have health insurance until She decides to divorce me.

Me? How far would $2000 a month and pretty good health insurance carry you?

It's the beginning of February, I am going to be ready by 1 April with 1 June being my actual target date.

Why keep the spouse in the dark? Because she has stopped me from taking even overnight trips for no reason. I was meant to launch last year on a shorter trip to and around the lower 48. Covid stopped that but she stopped any further planning.

Im leaving my comfortable life and my wife for a tent and my motorcycle. WTF am I thinking????????
  20. Ringosdad

Ringosdad The Dogfather Supporter

Oddometer:
    Totally none of my business but, you have to do you! You only go through this old world one time(at least that’s what I believe) so you may as well live it! You’ll never know until you try it!
    dredman likes this.