Living & Working off a Motorcycle in America - How long will it last?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by dredman, Jul 27, 2020.

1. MargaritaMotoress

MargaritaMotoress AKA Tigger

Oddometer:
    My budget is half that a month and I'm on year 5! All depends on what one's comfort level is. I applaud you. My guess is that you'll have no regrets! It's an amazing life as a full-time motorcycle gypsy.

Best of luck @X-wing fighter! Look for me along the way.
  2. dredman

dredman Dirty Moto-Tourist

Oddometer:
    First of all - FUCK a COMFORTABLE LIFE!!

It is waaayyy overrated!

Second, your story sounds shockingly like mine in 2015? One difference, I left my ex on good terms, with enough money to not get ugly - it sounds like you need an attorney? Lucky I was dealing with a reasonable person that simply thought she would be happier without me - we remain friends today (luckily)

Third, sounds like you have a decent plan (other than giving away your equity to keep peace)

Fourth, be careful with "your crap" - just like the first couch, it will alter your decisions, you know to keep your "crap safe". I am not saying don't keep crap, just beware of the REAL price you will pay to carry/store/worry about crap probably is not as valuable as you think it is (I have this very same conversation several times every year)

Fifth, what is your OTHER bike? Maybe someone wants to 'fly and ride' the other one south for you? I have never been to Alaska bro, and if it is not a tiny machine I might be a candidate?

Sixth, have you started a thread yet? :lurk

Oh, and I believe I could prolly ride till the end of time on $2k/month (no hotels or campgrounds) and I know at least 2 dudes living well on that already !! It really depends on how MUCH riding you are doing? Several hundred miles/day will push you gas and maintenance bill way up!
    borderlinebob likes this.
  3. dredman

Oddometer:
    We should have the conversation soon....much of it will focus on financial...always the biggest issue. I have talked to many that were shocked you need ANY money, till their income dried up? :)
    MargaritaMotoress likes this.
  4. X-wing fighter

X-wing fighter Do or Do not, There is no try!!!!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    You know, I have not done the math on someone riding my other bike. Question is, how Canada will deal with it at the border. Me on a bike with a job offer is going to get scrutinized, but what happens with 2 bikes? Canada may kick us back, returning home is not an option at that point!

But I'm going to research it as a pretty good idea.
    dredman likes this.
  5. dredman

Oddometer:
    After leaving the Black Hills, I rolled south into Nebraska, then back into Wyoming to stealth camp overnight in a cornfield once again.

Ringosdad likes this.
  6. Aces&8s

Aces&8s Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've often wondered if the ones living on the road or taking extended trips have a list of the places they've stayed. i.e. coordinates of stealth sites, names of campgrounds w/ prices and amenities. I'll admit that when I watch videos or read RR I'll make notes. One never knows when that might come in handy.
    dredman likes this.
  7. dredman

Oddometer:
    I get pretty specific on some of my videos, sometimes even placing them on an animated map.... but I don't want to find a village or a homeless camp in my special spots the next time I roll in so I don't do coordinates unless someone asks. :brow
  8. MargaritaMotoress

MargaritaMotoress AKA Tigger

Oddometer:
    Definitely have a list of awesome free camping areas. Secret swimming hole - complete w a waterfall.
    dredman likes this.
  9. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey girl! Good to see you're still out there wandering around, I still remember my one night at your house however many years ago that was? I've got a group hoping to do the Trans Taiga in September back ending at CroMag. Fingers crossed the covid situation improves to open the border etc. That being said the 2nd wave has just hit where I live despite it having been very good until now. Hijack done.
    dredman likes this.
  10. dredman

Oddometer:
    I am currently collecting waterfalls - just found a nice, hidden 80 foot waterfall yesterday!!
    Contrarian likes this.
  11. Vt-Stromer

Vt-Stromer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am always interested in how full time American travelers deal with health insurance. If your telling, I'm listening.
    dredman and Mr Pou like this.
  12. dredman

Oddometer:
    So I am not sure I have THE solution, but I have an option? Not even sure I qualify as a "full-timer", I consider myself more of a nomad - one who follows the weather/seasons. I had Obamacare until it became 3x as expensive as the Blue Cross it replaced (not my choice). Now I have a DPC doctor I pay monthly for "all-you-can-eat" healthcare, I can see her for an hour once/month, every month, for no extra charge. I can call her/text her, and she talks to me (unlike ANY other doctor I have ever had). I get really cheap meds directly from her, mailed to wherever in the world I am - and I DO NOT have to "fly home" for an office visit since "the doctor has not seen you in awhile" (the typical excuse a typical GP/FP doctor would give for not helping you) .

DPC - Direct Primary Care - the way medicine was once practiced in America before the insurance companies (and now the Gubment) got in the way.

I made a video awhile back ........

13. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    Nice domestic solution. Any thoughts on what you might do for health care coverage if you decided to go international and cross borders?

Im covered, but I have wondered about health insurance for other countries in case someone wanted to travel with me.

I have pretty good health insurance (retired Army) and when my trip starts I will probably add med evac insurance, just in case.

And preliminary planning suggests that I should trailer my bikes through Canada and then prep and start my trip from Texas. 1 May being the date I'm planning for heading south...... still planning and attempting to mitigate issues I can before they become issues. Covid sucks!!!!!!!
    dredman likes this.
  14. dredman

Oddometer:
    Covid blows donkey balls!

Not sure about healthcare abroad, and I guess it would totally depend on WHERE in the world you intend to travel? The "civilized world" has pretty good medicine (from what I have heard) but I have no real interest in anything having to do with modern society - I want culture, countryside, wildlife, beauty - that means Third-World. Med-evac coverage sounds pretty good for that? Unless of course you are into local medicine like herbs, chants, leeches & witchdoctors?

Since I am no international traveler (yet), I will let others speak to that.

Perhaps you should join an Facebook *gasp* group I joined to meet some of the rascals living/riding full time?

Made up from the people I met at vagabond rally - two of the full-timers I met are disabled Army.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MotoVagabonds/

Ringosdad likes this.
  15. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    Im waiting until I'm out of Alaska before I get going on facebook and social media. Lol I still have a full time job, a high maintenance wife, and brutal weather to deal with for the next 6-8 weeks, no time for gabbing on the social media.

However, in 8-12weeks I will launch my book and start plugging it on social media. 0-mach 5 in no time flat..... sitting under an oak tree in Texas drinking iced tea and plotting my adventure!
    dredman likes this.
  16. dredman

Oddometer:
    Not sure I would want to be in your situation...sounds a bit brutal, like prison?
  17. Mr Pou

Mr Pou Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is a cool idea for regular care! I don't mean to pry, but do you carry any catastrophic insurance to protect you from any high dollar unforeseen medical event?
    dredman likes this.
  18. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the full coverage on my SPOT tracker and in Canada I'm covered for most stuff. Going on big rides or serious offroad I buy extra insurance just for that duration. Living on the road I'd have to do more research. It certainly is easier in Canada.
    imnothng and dredman like this.
  19. dredman

Oddometer:
    I had catastrophic before Obamacare, now they do not offer it. In America if you want good insurance, you need to find a good, fulltime job....no thanks.
    Mr Pou likes this.
  20. dredman

Oddometer:
    I have heard much good and bad about Canadian healthcare, but it cannot be much worse than the American version?