Living & Working off a Motorcycle in America - How long will it last?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by dredman, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Mr Pou

Mr Pou Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup, or pay thru the ass. Just another way the man keeps you down and subservient.
    dredman likes this.
  2. dredman

dredman Dirty Moto-Tourist

Oddometer:

The history of medical insurance, at least in America would indicate that is actually the evil plan. How many millions of times has this phrase been spoken? "I can't leave, I will lose my insurance!" ....or... "The other company pays an extra $24k/year, but the benefits suck?"

Apparently it is very effective so far?
  3. Mr Pou

Oddometer:
    it really depends on who depends on you. I have a wife and kid who expect a home and food, healthcare, education, etc. So, I work and live vicariously thru guys like you!
    dredman and X-wing fighter like this.
  4. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agreed there is good and bad but the bottom line is I can go see a doctor any time I feel I need to for a cold or a broken arm and it is taken care of. I have had many traumas taken care of over the years from skiing and my DH Mtn bike days that were all covered. The only thing I had to pay for was physio. Yes there are wait times for certain things in certain places but they're still covered. I do have extra insurance to help pay for dental and drugs but that's mostly it. I know if I need help I can go see a doctor and not worry about going bankrupt as a result.
  5. X-wing fighter

X-wing fighter Do or Do not, There is no try!!!!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    @dredman I hate to compare my situation to prison, but I can't say that it's far from life on the cell block.
    dredman likes this.
  6. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    One crucial difference: you are free to walk away from it any time you choose.

I'm not suggesting you do that. You have shared a number of excellent reasons you are choosing to work it out. But you do it knowing you always have the alternative.

...ken...
    dredman likes this.
  7. Vt-Stromer

Vt-Stromer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just to be clear, there is no American version of Canadian healthcare.
    RedDogAlberta and dredman like this.
  8. dredman

Oddometer:
    Lucky for me I only have an elderly mother, and I share those responsibilities with a brother. Opens up lots of opportunities when you have minimal responsibilities...
    Mr Pou and skibum69 like this.
  9. X-wing fighter

X-wing fighter Do or Do not, There is no try!!!!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Ken in Regina some of my situation will come out in my ride report, but what I am planning is very similar to a prison break.

I feel I have to get into Canada before I am free. I almost feel like a draft dodger or a deserter of the vietnam era pinning his hopes, dreams and life slinking across the border to save themselves from war. Seems overly dramatic, I know. A bad situation is still a bad situation even if you were complicit in creating it. My 3 or 4 day passage through Canada will hopefully allow for calm heads to prevail and once in the lower 48 i won't have too much mess to clean up. Unlike a prison break though, once I get away, the law will be on my side. Part of me wants to request a protective order prior to leaving to restrain her from lashing out at my family or at least give me legal options if she does. Yes it is that serious.

Hard to imagine an alpha male, retired combat vet in an abusive relationship in which he is the victim and not the aggressor, but that's where I am.

Health care takes many forms, mental health and wellness doesn't get the priority it deserves. It's taken lots of counseling to get me here, maybe if my wife didn't think counseling was complete crap and totally worthless I wouldn't be going down the path I am on now.

I am going to become one of the few "homeless by choice". A nomad, a wanderer, migrant, pilgrim, wayfarer, vagabond, and hobo, tramp, bum, pirate are names I will be called by people I meet. Hopefully there's more than a few that will ask I wonder how X-wing is doing and where is he heading next!

I wonder what @dredman is doing today and where is he going next?
  10. dredman

Oddometer:
    I think I understand a little? I slept in the same bed with my wife for 4 months after she told me she wanted to move on, now I think, maybe she just wanted some attention (I was really not giving her any). After I asked her if she had already spoken to an attorney, I figured she was not bluffing. My divorce was cake. I did have to do a tremendous amount of remodeling to my house to squeeze some equity out of it (I bought before the housing crash) and I felt like I was never gonna get out, so maybe I understand a fraction of your feeling, but DANG!! I would get out ASAP from what you have described - life is not only short, it is FLEETING, and it sounds like yours may even be shorter hanging around this woman?

On a lighter note, since you asked..... today I am adding a top-case to my new island-bike so I can roll into the coastal jungle and camp on the coast this weekend, fish, make a fire, and live the life of a moto-castaway?

spot.jpg surf.jpg
  11. dredman

Oddometer:
  12. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Those aren't waves! This was 300 meters from my house yesterday. Pretty far off the beach and massive! Sorry, couldn't help myself.:lol3
  13. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have coverage from Medjet Assist and they offer global coverage. I think for an extra $35 or so annually, they'll bring your bike back with your broken carcass. A gentleman who does world-wide motorcycle tours advised me to get it as he'd seen the service extended to policy holders.

Mike
    Uke and dredman like this.
  14. rokytnji

rokytnji Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kinda been there and done that back in the late 80's. Had a bros bike weld up the piston to the cylinder wall by resting his leg on the air cleaner .
    We were on a long ride . I was on the road 6 months. We came out of El Paso Tx.
    We beat the piston out of the cylinder with a 2x4 and sledge hammer. Did not care if we bent a rod.
    Stayed up all night honing with a ball hone on cylinder < cast iron cylinder shovel Head 1980 FLH >
    Used a used piston and rings for reassemble, No parts in I don't know where Cheyenne Wyoming on a Sunday.
    Bought a case of oil and he pumped it out of the exhaust on the way to sturgis SD for the rally run.
    Had to clean spark plug once in a while.

Told our story to indy shop where we were picking up new parts to try and fix things right.
    They hired us on the spot.

Made money. Partied like kings. Fixed his scooter with new parts.
    Not sure how well this would fly in this modern world though.
    dredman likes this.
  15. dredman

Oddometer:
    Well, hey that picture was taken on a calm day.....but if you really want to wag dicks........from 3 weeks back...... :rofl

(the 100 footer starts at around the 3:00 mark)

Contrarian and borderlinebob like this.
  16. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Ok yeah, that's big. I like that I can walk down to my beach every day and watch what the ocean does, we've lost at least 20' of beach in the 15 years I've lived here. It's pretty humbling when it's right in front of you. One of the nice sides of living in one location vs living as a nomad. That being said for the first 13 years I was never home longer than 2 weeks at one time as I travel for work etc. And 20 years of ski bumming had me moving over 50 times Canada/US so I know all about wandering. Ride on...
    dredman likes this.
  17. dredman

Oddometer:
    While I am totally fine with 2-3 beers with dinner, this time riding south I found myself in a really interesting conversation with a fellow diner at the bar. We had more than a few, and then I had to make the tough decision to leave my bike in an empty parking lot, or ride to a new camp. Things worked out, I am not proud of it, (despite the mentions) but I think it belongs in the story despite the dirty looks and the shaming that will come from folks that know better than me. Don't ride drunk kids - it may not work out as well for you.

18. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Been there done that lived to tell the tale, now I limit myself to one maybe two if I've got lots of time.
    Ltbrkm3, sieg and dredman like this.
  19. Mr Pou

Oddometer:
    No worries, I think most of us somewhere in the past have driven/ridden when we shouldn't have.
    dredman and locopny like this.
  20. dredman

Oddometer:
    A quick stop in a mining town next to I-70

X-wing fighter and Ol Man like this.