Living & Working off a Motorcycle in America - How long will it last?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by dredman, Jul 27, 2020.

1. dredman

dredman Dirty Moto-Tourist

Oddometer:
    I head up into the mountains above Buena Vista, CO for some intense sunset/sunrise.

mikegc likes this.
  2. youngforever

youngforever Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    dredman likes this.
  3. dredman

Oddometer:
    Indeed, some of the most intense - maybe even in the top 10?
  4. youngforever

Oddometer:
    What a refreshing thread. Right on nothing beats no bill lifestyle. I have been MC/RV fulltiming for 6 years. I got rid of everything that was not motorcycle related and I was so happy that my motorcycle could carry all my belongings when I left Montreal and relocated in British Columbia. I bought an RV I got here and I found a part time weekend job in a resort 6 months a year with free full hookup year round. A one room apartment cost $1500 in BC, that $18,000 a year then utility bills kick in, another $200. That's $20,000 a year. The owner told me that he had complaints every year but since he hired me he never had a single complaint. So my work makes his live so much easier. My work easily pays all my expenses including my weekdays no bill wild camping expeditions while my retirement funds handle the other 6 months riding in South America. I'm even able to have my kids visiting me a few times a year. I was able the help them out a bit when covid hit them and I will be able to have something to leave them when I will have fulfill my time here on earth. To everyone his own, I think I can't ask for more. I have been living a true down to earth lifestyle. I'm fortunate that a no bill lifestyle empowers me not to have to worry to make ends meet while retirees have to dedicate 25 to 50% of their retirement earning.
  5. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking of moving to New Zealand but with the earthquakes they've been having the last couple of days they may not be there.
    MargaritaMotoress and dredman like this.
  6. dredman

Oddometer:
    Sounds like we have a very similar story? I think the only people that really understand how we live are people that live like us? Everyone else I talk to think that I am crazy, with the exception of a few of my friends that wish they could be doing the same thing. I think the more stories we tell, the more images we share, and the more encouragement we give each other to try to do something unusual, the more people will join us.

I have yet to meet or even talk to anyone that has gone BACK to living a "normal" life. I wonder if anyone has?
  7. dredman

Oddometer:
    Funny you say that, I heard about the 8.1 quake a couple days ago - it threatened a tsunami here on my island, until they realized the force was sent east/west. I think maybe we are ALL living in a more fragile place than we realize - yet a few of us believe we can control our environment? I tend to believe we are all floating in a ship, trying to keep the rain out, plugging the leaks, looking for fertile land, while waiting on the next big wave to hit.

[​IMG]
    9w6vx likes this.
  8. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Oh yes, most people living near the ocean have no idea just how fragile it can be. I sit at maybe 50' above water only 300 meters from the beach.

Since that 8.1 quake in NZ there have been 100's of quakes. Just yesterday there were 40 between 4.0 & 5.0. 147 between 3.0 &4.0 and 25 between 2 & 3. It's going off down there! Multiples over 6.
    dredman likes this.
  9. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    Same going on up in Iceland.
    They’re calling it an “earthquake swarm”

Maybe the old ball is gonna split in half
    :flush
    dredman likes this.
  10. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Run away!
    :eek2
    dredman likes this.
  11. dredman

Oddometer:
    The more destruction there is on this island, the more people get on a plane to come live here - honestly, it is one of the many reasons I am here? Can you bring the lava a bit closer to the lanai so I can see it better please?
  12. skibum69

Oddometer:
    They think volcanoes are going to blow in Iceland. DO you remember what happened the last time?
  13. jathkajoe

jathkajoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes. About 10 yrs ago.

it was a nice place when we refueled there in '57. Love the smell of smoked cod on a misty morning.
  14. youngforever

Oddometer:
    We are the ones who live a normal life. I will never give it up. I will never give up my freedom.
    dredman likes this.
  15. youngforever

Oddometer:
    The life I live now is exactly the life I was dreaming to have as far as I can remember. I remember my brothers coming back home in the middle of the night and I was hidden in the stairs to listen everything.

I left home when I was 15 because I wanted to learn English and adventure on a motorcycle like my brothers.When I turned 18 I bought my first motorcycle and I left for a 6000 miles adventure. The following fall I rode down to Mexico and I repeted till I reach 30. I went back to school and got an university degree raised two kids. I took them to every province and to many states. I remember a 2 months trip when My daughter was 12, I hoped she would try to learn to have contacts with the kids of her age, nada till the very last day before coming back home. Once back home she began to communicate with me in English. 2 months later she was attending a camp and some kids From Edmonton show up. Guest who was the first local kid to great them. You know the answer. She's self supporting herself and still studies a third degree at the university. Her spectrum of studies relate to geopolitics, adventure, ecotourism, teaching French to newcomers.

I still work a bit to invite home my kids when I'm somewhere in South America in the winter. Nothing fancy, but real adventure. This makes us the happiest people on the planet. My second wife is Latina and the kids get along very well with them.
    dredman and huguesfrederic like this.
  16. locopny

locopny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Dredman...you doing ok with the extra rain? happen to catch the weather update today for HI and saw some nasty looking conditions. Of course it may just be localized and no where near where you are at?? and I may just be behind in keeping up.

Any case... Liking the series of vids to keep me occupied while I recover.
    dredman likes this.
  17. dredman

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Indeed, we are all doing OK with the extra rain sir, thank you for asking. It is rainy season here, and I do live in a tropical rainforest, so it is a bit more rain than usual, but just because it is raining more than it can run off in a few minutes. It is rather dramatic is some places to see standing water, and others it is making a LOT of steam (from the still-hot lava-flow of 2018) - for that interesting story, you will have to check out the latest vids (one is coming out in the morning, hopefully)

And thanks for following along - good to know people enjoy my efforts my friend- thank you!
    locopny and mikegc like this.
  18. dredman

Oddometer:
    from yesterday out on the lava

Attached Files:

borderlinebob, mikegc and Oldmanx like this.
  19. skibum69

Oddometer:
    The steam is neat, here we get fog that can look very similar as it creeps along.
    dredman likes this.
  20. dredman

Oddometer:
    They closed down this road yesterday - went from 45 mph to 5mph - 5 foot visibility is very dangerous - have not seen anything like it since the 80s?
    borderlinebob and skibum69 like this.