"Lizrdbrth: KLR Dietician" thread.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Lizrdbrth, Oct 10, 2006.

1. timdog

timdog a.k.a. Josh

Oddometer:
    I was thinking the same thing. That is why I use a stock can off of a 2004 GSX750R. It looks and sounds great. I figure it it moves enough air for that a sportbike which turns more than 2X the RPM's it should be fine for my KLR. It weighs much less, and I bought it for $30 from a guy who replaced it with a fancier aftermarket system.
  2. Lizrdbrth

Lizrdbrth Wackjob

Oddometer:
    The tractor muffler IS a gret idea. Unfortunately it isn't working out so well in reality because the walls of those mufflers are too thin. It's also a straight-through muffler, which is why I never did it myself. All the ones I've found were the same as the ones the guys from the other site are using.
  3. Lizrdbrth

Lizrdbrth Wackjob

Oddometer:
    All-up weight of a stocker full of gas seems to be about 405-410. Empty weight about 373.
  4. Lizrdbrth

Lizrdbrth Wackjob

Oddometer:

And if you want simple AND permanent my best suggestion is to take the guts from a 3 1/2" Supertrapp and put them into a 4 or 4 1/2" STEEL shell.

You'd be able to get enough packing in there to shut the thing up and still be able to tune it, it wouldn't self-destruct from vibration and it would still weigh less than any other option. You could also pack it with stainless steel wool, weld it shut and forget about it forever. I've no idea why Supertrapp clings to that crappy can.

I wish someone from Supertrapp would show his face in here the way that Newman from Electrosport has.
  5. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    Ok thanks. :wink:
  6. Lizrdbrth

Lizrdbrth Wackjob

Oddometer:
    Little-known speed secret: Swiss cheesing your ride bell is good for 3 mph on top.
  7. Lizrdbrth

Lizrdbrth Wackjob

Oddometer:
    Sorry
  8. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Banned

Oddometer:
    Your ride bell should be a doohicky.
  9. Lizrdbrth

Lizrdbrth Wackjob

Oddometer:
    Closeup
  10. Lizrdbrth

Lizrdbrth Wackjob

Oddometer:
    All better now. 3/4" restrictor.
  11. Lizrdbrth

Lizrdbrth Wackjob

Oddometer:
    Stock KLR instrument cluster: 2 pounds, 1 oz.

Speedometer cable: 7.9 oz.

More than 2 1/2 pounds. Why, in an age where this stuff should weigh just slightly more than your wristwatch?

Hack job in order.
  12. trasko

trasko Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you're a trip. i'm psyched to see what you're ride looks like when you're done.
  13. orklr

orklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How much does the tractor muffler weigh?
  14. Lizrdbrth

Lizrdbrth Wackjob

Oddometer:
    No idea. Although they're pretty light. I think they might survive better with a band-type mount. They're straight-through cores, bound to be noisy as hell and will lean out a motor in a heartbeat. But they're on the right track in terms of weight.

Did 600 miles on my Frankenmuffler over the W/E. It's staying on the bike for good.

And if you guys doubt that you can manipulate the handing of your bike with a muffler choice or by removing 20 pounds, try this little experiment:

I have some barbell weights that i use when I'm changing tires and such. Put the bike on the center stand and then put the weights on the rear rack until the front end lifts off the ground. Try it, then remove your muffler.

It used to take about 40 pounds to lift the frontend past the fulcrum point. Now it takes 55.

I only removed 4.

So what do you think that measily 2 1/2 pound instrument cluster way out high in the front of your bike will do for this equation?
  15. honcho

honcho Barley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    looks great.... what happened to your turn signals?

what kind of front fender is that?

bet you could shave at least half a pound by trimming up that rear fender a little more.

if you're going after the instrument cluster, you could probably shave a couple pounds by switching to a klr250/600 "fairing"... with those knobbies on there, i'd guess you don't need the full wind protection provided by the stock fairing...

you got an estimate on the current weight of your ride at it is now?

keep up the good work. thanks for sharing.

well.... this post was supposed to cntain a pic of your bike.
  16. Lizrdbrth

Lizrdbrth Wackjob

Oddometer:
    Front fender is an Acerbis KTM replacement. Four ounces lighter than stock, but that was just an accident.

Turn signals are modified DR items. Weigh about 1/4 what KLR signals weigh. The look grows on you, (they looked better before I cut the rack) and they're out of the way of my panniers. Most individual components on a DR are lighter than their KLR counterparts, BTW.

Rear fender is cut as high as I wanted to go, and the inner is cut flush with the tail light housing. There's a method to my madness here, as I'm putting a "window" in the bottom of the tail light that allows the existing bulb to provide illumination for the plate without using a separate light.

I ride those 606's everywhere. Rather have them and not need them than the other way around. I put the 600 fairing on the mule, didn't like it.

The bike now weighs 390, wet. I pulled the aluminun skidplate and replaced it with the stock one, also removed the highway peg setup and handguards to arrive at that weight because of this thread. It was the closest I could get to a comparison with a stocker in terms of weight.

Put all that stuff beck on and I still weigh less than stock.

I lied. That was before Frankenmuffler. So I guess the thing weighs about 385 as you see it. Bear in mind I still have all the emissions stuff hooked up, passenger pegs bolted on, heavy center stand, etc. I still see close to 10 pounds I can lose without ever touching that stuff. Just takes time.
  17. holycaveman

holycaveman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lizrdbrth,

You have probably noticed a change in your power characteristics with that shortened stocker??

A loss of top end for the shorty's, and alittle boost on the bottom comes to mind:D

Of course who realy uses their top end power on a KLR?
  18. holycaveman

holycaveman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually thats a good idea on the stocker. I would not mind loosing some high exhaust lbs for the race this weekend?
  19. Lizrdbrth

Lizrdbrth Wackjob

Oddometer:
    To be honest I was too concerned about running lean, so I only rode the bike long enough for a plug reading before I put the restrictor in. Doesn't seem to have cost me anything on top, seat of the pants impression is that there's more bottom, but my top is generally out on the road as opposed to your kind of riding.

Biggest advantage to me was where it placed the weight. I'm getting to the point where I can straddle the bike and bounce it between my thighs like a dirtbike. Ok, nothing like a real dirtbike, but the CG is noticeably lower now.
  20. honcho

honcho Barley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    what didn't you like about the 600 fairing?

any details about how you mounted it?

thanks