"Lizrdbrth: KLR Dietician" thread.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Lizrdbrth, Oct 10, 2006.

1. fixer

fixer KLR-riding cheap bastard

Oddometer:

uhhh, WHY? :huh

pull that crap off this weekend and throw it on the scale!
  2. fixer

Oddometer:
    that's the one place where i'd keep the weight on this project.

the stocker sucks and there's a handfull of people who've holed the case by keeping it.

like ou said about the tires.. better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it, especialy considering the possible consequences of keeping the POS stock bash plate.
  3. orklr

orklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How about replacing it with a digital model like a Trailtech Vapor? http://www.trailtech.net/vapor.htm
  4. kv

kv [insert witty comment here]

Oddometer:

Product Weight:
    3.9 oz. (110 grams) (0.24 lbs.)

:D
  5. Lizrdbrth

Lizrdbrth Wackjob

Oddometer:
    Ok, I think some of you are missing the point of all this. What I'm trying to do is get that EXTRA 20 or 30 pounds off the bike. The ones no one ever thinks about. Back in the day this would be job one, then we would move on.

We already know that ditching the emissions, changing exhaust and all that stuff removes weight. I can do that with my eyes closed.

What I'm after are all the little things that add up. The 5 oz. bracket that serves no purpose, the 2 pound gizmo that only weighs 6 ounces on some other bike, etc.

Things like the skidplate are just things I do for the purposes of this thread so I can keep track of how much my weight has dropped from a stock bike. I don't plan to leave it off, but then again a lot of the stock stuff makes more sense than the farkle item, and when it does I'll use it.

Some of the stuff is just a way to do things without spending a lot of money. For example I'm about to take over a pound off of the stock instruments. I don't have to, I could run out and buy a Veypour if I wanted to. A lot of guys can't. So I came up with something that works well and looks good ,costs almost nothing. I'll probably pull the trigger on a a Veypour when I switch to the USD forks, but I'd be just as proud of my own solution if I didn't.

Saving weight is subtraction. The aftermarket isn't gonna come over and help you rethink your bike and paying for something subtracted is rarely neccessary until you're trying to extract that last ounce out of something.

Farkles are addition, for the most part. whether I can afford them or not, if they cost 50 times more than my own solutions they'd better be worth 50 times more than my own solutions.

Other than Mike's doohickey I'm having a hell of a time trying to think of one.

Ever bought a skidplate and then had to drill a hole in it to reach your slack adjuster? Or my personal favorite: You pay 500 bucks for an exhaust system and they get YOU to tune your motor to THEIR generic system. Pretty smokin' deal.
  6. fixer

Oddometer:
    yeah... you can do it with your eyes closed, but you haven't done it yet. :dunno

that's like saying you can't see the forest because of all the dang trees in the way!
  7. orklr

orklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you thought of removing the KACR (Kawasaki Automatic Compression Release) mentioned in the KLR650 FAQs?
  8. Lizrdbrth

Lizrdbrth Wackjob

Oddometer:
    I know this thing is often cited as a failure point, so removing it apparently has no downside at all nowadays. Personally of the four KLR's I've owned in the last 20 years I've never gad one fail.

I may put the 600 kicker on mine, so no, I've never considered it.
  9. Jack90210

Jack90210 quia ego nominor leo

Oddometer:
    I like the way you think, Lizrdbrth.
  10. HighDezert

HighDezert KLR Dirt Pilot

Oddometer:
    I think most people didn't buy a KLR for it's feathery lightness, and lots of people don't believe you gain much from losing weight. I've been riding two wheeled things aggressively for over 25 years, be it pedal or power, seeking the gnarliest technical terrain but whatever means necessary. Anytime you lighten something up that's far enough from the CG you change the feel and the bike responds quicker. Riding biketrials, i can feel the differecne in weight of a shifter on the bars, or anything that weighs more than an ounce mounted on the bars.

Even just removing the fairing and plugging in a streetfighter style light will make a difference, and you can always swap back to stock, and it wouldn't be hard to stick some signals out the sides of it to be legal.(i'm AZ legal but i don't ride in traffic) Windscreens are overrated, and unless you have a cruiser shield that you can actually get behind, it usually only makes i worse because it creates higher velocity at reduced pressure and turbulence whacking ya in the face. The fairing mod made the bike quieter, smoother, and a lot more stable in gusty conditions. Most of the air falls off the sides of it, and the little bit that catches in the center channel comes off clean. If i got a new stock KLR tomorrow, i'd have the fender chopped and mounted by noon, that's how much better than stock it is.

I laugh everytime i look at the milk crate full of useless crap i yanked off my bike, it weighs about 30lbs and contains mostly mounting brackets, that's where a lot of weight is, in brackets and bolts and crap. Replace a handful of bolts that hold the plastic on with zipties and you'll lose a few ounces and have breakaway panels instead of ripping the boltholes off when you stack hard. I've got about 1lb of bolts sitting in my bucket that weren't doing anything a ziptie couldn't do better, faster, and without tools or loctite.
  11. Lizrdbrth

Lizrdbrth Wackjob

Oddometer:
    Gauge mod pics soon. Had to return to the real world after 6 month hiatus, also got a little sidetracked with frontend swaps, 600 subframes, a lighter fairing mount and my other toys.

Good point on the fasteners. I've been including their weight when I remove things but I should gather them all together and weigh them. Probably a pound or two in bolts alone.

What have you guys who are using alternative fairings done to secure the front wiring? The bulkhead on the stock gauge bracket does a great job, but it weighs a ton.
  12. timdog

timdog a.k.a. Josh

Oddometer:

I have a fairing/headlight assembly off of a dr350. I used zipties to hold the wiring to the bottom of the guages.
  13. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    I don't even own a KLR and think that this is a great thread. Keep it going!

As a tip - since you are not completely against new parts if they are cheap - try a bike speedo instead of the stock instruments. Thats what KTM did until a few years ago on their street legal models. They even have a complete kit with bracket etc for about 70€.

I bet you could find a generic bike speedo that could do the same thing for under $20.
  14. holycaveman

holycaveman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Failure point? I have never seen a failed auto decompression lever on a KLR? Now on the old klx 300's I have seen them fail. Mine has been through the ringer, and at 90,000 miles now its working great!!!

Also some more things to consider about the KACR. Try and push start the KLR without it!!!!!!!!!!!!! no way! And its an awfull tough job for the starter to push through the compression stroke without the KACR lever.

I would literally remove my whole flywheel before I ever removed my KACR.
  15. Lizrdbrth

Lizrdbrth Wackjob

Oddometer:

Tell us how you really feel :D . Never known one to fail, either.

I've noticed a few references to it claiming otherwise, stating that it's a holdover from the kickstart days and oughta be dissabled. Probably from a guy who sells starters.
  16. honcho

honcho Barley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    how do you like it vs. the round headlight?... got any pics? thanks
  17. Lizrdbrth

Lizrdbrth Wackjob

Oddometer:
    I'm kinda at a standstill at the moment. The clown who removed my steering stem from the mule bent it beyond recognition and destroyed my trees so until the front end swap is done I can't afford to have my "good" bike down. Truth be told, it's been kinda nice to just RIDE for a change.

Did the Mojave Road with hard panniers and camping gear over the weekend. Big mistake. Nothing but soft, dry sand and I dropped the bike a half dozen times, but it was a damned sight easier to wrestle than the last time I made the same stupid mistake, with the same panniers, at the same time of year, on the same trail, with the same bike, in the same sub-freezing temperatures....

I so smart.

Incidently, I discovered that the latest polypropylene military thermals work bigtime compared to anything I've ever worn.
  18. holycaveman

holycaveman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well if you know of someone who sells kickers??? I would be interested!!

Yea, I talk too much:evil
  19. Lizrdbrth

Lizrdbrth Wackjob

Oddometer:
    600's are getting kinda hard to find, but if you can locate one you could probably buy the whole bike for less than the kicker kit costs. All you need is the clutch basket from a 600 or a pre-'96 650 and the kick assembly from a 600.

Probably a long shot, but I'm not entirely sure that the KLR 250 setup doesn't share at least a few parts.
    dbarale likes this.
  20. orklr

orklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wish I could put the kicker on my '07. :cry

Here's a 600 for $1850