"Lizrdbrth: KLR Dietician" thread.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Lizrdbrth, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Lizrdbrth

Lizrdbrth Wackjob

Oddometer:
    That dude's on crack. I see non-runners (mostly trashed timing chains) for 1-400 bucks locally, 800's a lot for a runner. And you CAN put the kicker on your '07, unless they've finally eliminated the hole for it.
  2. timdog

timdog a.k.a. Josh

Oddometer:
    Sorry, not right now. It looks just like the fairing off the klr250. I know there are pics on here somewhere of KLR650's with the 250 fairing.
  3. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    If you had a pre-96 650 could you add the kicker in addition to the electric starter or is it either/or?
  4. Lizrdbrth

Lizrdbrth Wackjob

Oddometer:
    You can have both. The 600 was the same motor as the 650 except for displacement. The hole for the kicker is still in your sidecovers. Later models will need the older clutch basket.
  5. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Good to know, thanks. I still can't make up my mind if I should buy the Tengai, just found a 99 DR 650 with only 5k on it for just a little bit more.... Maybe I should start another thread about that:D
  6. Hondo

Hondo **********

Oddometer:
    Great muffler mod!
  7. orklr

orklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool...I was aware of the redesigned clutch basket, I'll have to do the mod!
  8. Lizrdbrth

Lizrdbrth Wackjob

Oddometer:
    Can't go wrong with the Zook. I sure was looking forward to giving you 5 bucks for that Tengai bodywork, though.:D

Good luck, whatever you decide.
  9. honcho

honcho Barley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    you could loose the chain guard... maybe 1/4 pound. one mirror is probably close to 1/2 a pound.
  10. Lizrdbrth

Lizrdbrth Wackjob

Oddometer:
    Long-term reality of my Frankenmuffler mod:

The mod was the single best thing I've done for MY bike to date. It got rid of the weight in exactly the right places and the change in handling was the most immediately obvious of all the changes to the bike. However......

If I had it to do over again (and I will) I would pass on adding the tube on the inside and weld the end of a Supertrapp baffle ( the part that carries the plates) on the end cap. Then I would use a bell reducer to cover the plate stack and neck it down to 1 1/2" for the tailpipe.

I run stock jetting and will probably eventually go leaner still, so this pipe works for me. This disclaimer is for those of you who insist on running the flavor of the week Dynojet setup: You may find that you run out of flow with the Frankenmuffler. It appears to have limitations which I base on the following experiment:

I ran the bike trouble free for the last month or so with the 3/4" restrictor. For the last few days of that I noticed it was running rich, so I checked the air filter and found it needed a cleaning. I left the air filter dirty, but removed the restrictor and the additional flow gave me better plug readings. On the basis of that I think the muffler may not allow enough "cushion" for stupid-rich jetting. So don't go cutting up your muffler unless you understand your exact needs.

I like the tuneabilty of the Supertrapp plates and I have proven to myself that the expansion chamber negates noise enough on its own sufficiently to allow adding the Supertrapp plates for tuneability.
  11. kv

kv [insert witty comment here]

Oddometer:
    I have all of my bike's bodywork torn off at the moment and I can't help but wonder if there isn't something that can be done with the rear fender/tail light assembly. I was thinking that something along the lines of the 1150 GS, which doesn't have any body panels at the rear, might work well on the KLR. One would have to contend with the fact that the inner fender doesn't come up really far enough to attatch anything to. I suppose this could be rectified with some plastic that could be bent into shape. I was thinking a lightweight LED tail light and a minimal license plate bracket would work well. I have HT SU racks and a large rear rack on my bike so it wouldn't be completely naked back there.

Has anyone done anything similar? Will a "universal" rear fender (Acerbis, UFO, etc.) work on a KLR?

:dunno

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. KiLeR06

KiLeR06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, I was wondering the same thing. I am in the process of doing a major remodel of my stock fairing and will post pics soon.
  13. kv

kv [insert witty comment here]

Oddometer:
    Yes, please do. I'd like to see what someone else has come up with.
  14. ldeikis

ldeikis Dirty daydreamer

Oddometer:
  15. fixer

fixer KLR-riding cheap bastard

Oddometer:

the kick lever is the same, but AFAIK, that's it.
  16. trasko

trasko Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    People may or may not have noticed but he has the smaller looking regular brake light but also a full automotive "3rd-light" bar underneath the rear rack. I bet it is better than stock in its output.
  17. Lizrdbrth

Lizrdbrth Wackjob

Oddometer:
    Never checked. Not even the gears?
  18. timdog

timdog a.k.a. Josh

Oddometer:
    Hey, that's my bike! I have a seperate taillight (under the fender) and brake light(under the rack). All LED's. They are very bright!

I should weigh my bike, I replaced the stock muffler with a Suzuki GSX750, and replaced the front cowling with a piece off of a DR350, that turns with the handlebars. I also removed everything that wasn't needed.
  19. fixer

fixer KLR-riding cheap bastard

Oddometer:

ummm, i *think* i compared the schematic when trying to find the parts to retrofit the kicker to my bike... but it's been a while.

however, the case on the 250 engine seems signifagantly smaller than the 650's case, soooo i'm guessing that the rest of the parts ain't the same.

i'd be happy to be wrong, but someone is gonna have to do the legwork to determine that.
  20. ldeikis

ldeikis Dirty daydreamer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, Tim, I really like that mod. Once I've got a bit more expendable capital in the coffers I may spring for it. I like the way the front of the KLR looks (can't help it) but that snow shovel rear fender kills me.

How is the sportbike muffler volume wise? I was at a ducati dealer a month or so ago getting a shock charged and on the way out I noticed they had what appeared to be two perfect OEM mufflers from some ducati in the scrap dumpster. I had it in my hands, but then left it (I was on my nighthawk with no means to strap it to anything and 40 miles from home, didn't seem like a good idea). I rode with a guy on a XR who had some sort of sportbike can on his bike, but it was thunderously loud. Being quiet is really important to me as most of the places to ride near here are really in jeopardy.

-Luke