1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

loading music on BMW NAV V

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by hart, Aug 22, 2015.

1. hart

hart Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    anyone know how to get this done?

thanks in advance for your replies
  2. Jontaff

Jontaff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Nav 4 will not play music on the micro SD card as I have tried that.
    Haven't tried to pair my phone to the unit to play music as I use my Zumo 665 for that.

Jon.
  3. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:
    Insert a formatted micoSD card and on the card make a folder named "Garmin" in the root directory, then inside of that folder create another folder named "Music" and add your MP3 songs to that folder, you can use sub folders the same as you would on your computer with artist and albums.
    ChiriLeo likes this.
  4. bobbybob

bobbybob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually you can just copy all the mp3's onto the SD card root directory without making any folders. The NAV5 will find them all. If you do make folders, they are not visible on the NAV5 except when its plugged into the computer, and folders don't function as playlists. At least not on mine. If they do on yours, pls. let me know where you find them in the menus.
  5. wonderings

wonderings Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats what I do, works perfectly on my Nav V. Files have to be MP3, wish it could play the Apple iTunes m4a format.
  6. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:

Who the hell said that you did?
  7. bobbybob

bobbybob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, then what purpose would it serve to place the mp3's in folders for artists, albums, etc if you can't access them that way on the Nav5? Pls educate me on this.
  8. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:
    Make the following folders and put the next folder in it:
    • Garmin
    • Music
    • Artist's Names
    • Album Names
    Then place the MP3 music files in the final folder (Album) and the Nav-V has no trouble reading the music as this is the format that it is looking for.
    This is also the default configuration for Windows Media Player sans the "Garmin" folder.
  9. bobbybob

bobbybob Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, got it. I was hoping you had found a way to make playlists on a computer and xfer them to the Nav5. Any idea how to do this?

Edit: just looked on my NAV5 on computer and in a folder called MP3's is another folder called Playlists. It contains one playlist that I created on the NAV5 with the extension *.m3u8 . Need to figure out how to create m3u8's on computer.

Found this-->>
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3U
  10. Nesbocaj

Nesbocaj Earth, we're #1

Oddometer:

Hey Bob,

Please post up when you figure this out!

thanks,

(another) Bob

also: back with the Zumo GPSs it was found the subfolders within the MUSIC folder made the device load up faster at turn on. Maybe holds true with the NAV units.
    (zumoforums.com)
  11. wonderings

wonderings Long timer

Oddometer:
    All I do on the SD card is make a folder labeled "MUSIC" Then I go to iTunes, select the album I want, tell it to "reveal in finder" it will bring me to where the folder is located for that album. I just drop the album in the "MUSIC" folder. Step and repeat till I have all the music I want. The music is then sorted by album and artist when viewing on the Nav V, did the same on the Zumo 660. I am guessing because it is all put together in iTunes so it keeps it organized and tagged correctly.
  12. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:
    That is exactly correct, many media programs including the Microsoft Media Player (I don't use iTunes) built into Windows automatically categorizes and files music/albums that is put into the "Music" folder, all you then need to do is drop that music folder into the Garmin folder on the SD card.
    If you open up the Music folder on your Nav-V you will see that it is filed as I have described.
  13. Ccieurzo

Ccieurzo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you are using a Mac and iTunes, a useful program is Export for iTunes. It is ridiculously simple to export music from iTunes (including playlists) onto the Nav V. It will even convert the non-DRM m4a files into MP3s for you.
  14. wonderings

wonderings Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, will check this out. Always a pain when I want to put my purchased music on, usually resort to some pirating to get it on for something I already bought.
  15. Dirtpatch

Dirtpatch Getmesome

Oddometer:
    Having trouble with computer recognizing 64 gig card I put in nav 5. Formatted in exfat. That was the choice fat 32 wasn't available as a choice. Any hints on what I should do.
  16. txtinman

txtinman n00b Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You will probably have to find a third party app to do the formatting. Use Google, it is your friend.
  17. Jimp94605

Jimp94605 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Th Nav V manual sends you to www.sdcard.org. Under down load there is an option for SD card formatting software "SD formatter 4.0" for windows and mac.
  18. Dirtpatch

Dirtpatch Getmesome

Oddometer:
    Thanks got to format card and music is on card.
  19. RidingMann

RidingMann In training...

Oddometer:
    :pope bringing this back from the dead...

Just picked up a 16 GSA that has a Nav V. Usually I really hate Garmin anything but, since I got it in the deal for free, I'm trying to make it work... I have several songs in iTunes, I'd like them converted.... Anyone tried this method?

Convert songs from files in a folder or on a disk
    You can import songs into iTunes and convert them at the same time. This creates a converted copy of the file in your iTunes Library, based on your iTunes preferences.

To convert all of the songs in a folder or on a disk:

1. Open iTunes.
    2. Mac: From the menu bar at the top of your computer screen, choose iTunes > Preferences.
      Windows: From the menu bar at the top of the iTunes window, choose Edit > Preferences.
    3. Click the General tab, then click Import Settings in the lower section of the window.
    4. Click the menu next to Import Using, then choose the encoding format that you want to convert the songs to.
    5. Click OK to save the settings.
    6. While holding down the Option key (Mac) or Shift key (Windows) on your keyboard, choose File > Convert > Convert to [import preference]. The format shown is the one that you chose in step 4. For example, if you chose Apple Lossless Encoder, select Convert to Apple Lossless.
    7. Select the folder or disk that contains songs that you want to import and convert. iTunes converts all of the songs in the folder or on the disk.
    The songs in their original format and the converted songs appear in your library.

Source - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204310
    and yes, using a mac.

It's a long and cold ride back down south tomorrow. Music should make the trip better.... assuming this method works?! I'll report back how this goes.:fpalm
  20. Mago

Mago Growing Wiser..

Oddometer:
    Hi, my Nav V won't select the songs/artists by clicking on the alphabetic index appearing at the bottom of the screen. It always brings up whatever starts with 'C', regardless of the letter I press on..

Folders on SDCard under Garmin\Music\Albums\Artists\ ..songs..

Edit: Works well with Albums.

Did anyone encounter this before? Thanks.