loading OSM (to 276c) with MAC OS?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by hotwheels22, Sep 7, 2018.

1. hotwheels22

hotwheels22 motorradRP

Oddometer:
    can anyone tell me the steps to get OSM data to a 276c again?

i have a 2012 USB to Garmin compatible mac pro with MapInstall, BaseCamp and MapManager but i am getting tripped up on remembering the /steps/ for this.

also, which of the following files or folders is it necessary to have on the computer? i'm transferring them around trying to get various computers to work with this (2012 and earlier macs' data transfer is S-L-O-W).

-

i've got like a binder full of information i am going to review tomorrow but if i can get some quick help on this it would be great...

THANKS

GPS Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 6.27.32 PM.png
  2. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    install Superbeam, float the files wirelessly, at about 30mb/s or faster on new machines.

transferring via finder /atp is painfully slow.

iirc you have to select the map areas to use, "save"them to a dish image you have already created and mounted, then you can transfer them via USB to your Garmin. totally convoluted, but hey, it's old tech.

i think one of the guys had a wonderful up if the steps with pictures but i am not sure where. that thread could be team years old now
    hotwheels22 likes this.
  3. hotwheels22

hotwheels22 motorradRP

Oddometer:
    hey man.

are you saying i need to ZIP up the files and /then/ put them on a USB stick in order to move between machines? right now i download on the desktop and transfer via USB to the mac laptop and the XP machine i am trying to get going.

i have internet access and wifi on the laptop so i could upload to dropbox and download. but NO internet or wifi on the laptop.

ALSO, does anyone know how i physically get them to the garmin? i mean i /think/ i saw somewhere i need to OPEN an OSM file by right clicking it to load the file to Maps and /then/ install to the device.

last - the 276 doesn’t have wifi. can you elaborate on suoerbesm a bit?

i’ll read the binder i have here (sigh) and see if i can find that thread.

trying to head out and i am thinking this gps is staying home again...

THANK YOU

jon
  4. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    that's a mess.

it sounds like you're juggling open paint cans, but digitally.

pick the one machine that has the maps on it, and open them with map install/map manager, select areas, then save to a disk image. transfer from disk image to your Garmin. then if you screw up the transfer (pulling the plug too soon, etc) you'll still have the .img file to try again.