Loading the bike up on the RV. Cross Country Trip!

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Chotu, May 31, 2021.

1. Chotu

Chotu Lifan x-pect

Oddometer:
    I’m loading the bike up onto the RV and taking a cross country trip. Going from Florida to the Pacific Northwest, then down the west coast, then back to Florida on route 10.

What are some of the best spots to stop and ride? I’ll be going diagonally up from Florida to St. Louis, then on route 70 out to Denver.

Then route 25 out of Denver into Montana and out route 90 to Seattle.

Then mostly down the coast to San Diego, with some inland desert excursions.

then back on route 10.

Where are some beautiful day rides along these routes?

All street is ok. Beautiful off road hill climbing that ends with a view is really wanted. Diverse landscapes and scenery with less cars.

Thanks for any ideas!
  2. Chotu

Chotu Lifan x-pect

Oddometer:
    Ok, what about just Colorado?
  3. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since you narrowed it down to a smaller book sized response:lol2 --- I suggest you buy a road atlas and note the green dotted scenic highways in areas of states that catch your fancy. In CO FWIW, I-25 N of Denver isn't real exciting until you turn west in WY through the medicine Bow NF. OTOH, I-70 west through CO is considered one of the most scenic interstates in the entire USA. I-10 coming back is not real exciting but if it's wintertime, AZ & NM are good riding-summertime, not so much. You say diagonally to STL, the Ozarks are just below there and worthy visits. I assume your missing the great riding in the SE mtn areas and headed west?
  4. Bullseye

Bullseye Mr. Bad Example Supporter

Oddometer:
    Most of the 10 across the SW is going to be pretty hot for riding. I would suggest that you cut through Southern Utah either coming or going. Great scenery, great roads and trails all over the place... many areas with enough altitude to keep it cool during Summer (Bryce / Escalante area). Even 40 would at least take you through Flagstaff (good riding at cooler elevations). If you do stick to the 10... seek-out riding opportunities at elevation.
  5. Chotu

Chotu Lifan x-pect

Oddometer:
    OK! Thank you for some of these details. I’m going to look them up.

I realize I’m asking a really I large question with about 1 million answers. But I was just kind of hoping people would do what you guys already did and name off some of the general ideas of different areas and climate. Maybe some of the more scenic routes like you did already up there in Colorado. Thank you.

it’s a lot to look at. I don’t even know where to begin. Maybe it’s more of one of those adventures where you stick to some of the scenic Highway’s or roads, then find spots to stop for the night, spend an extra day to go riding around the area if it looks good.

I just wanted to get some general ideas of some of the best riding in the west part of the country.
  6. marret

marret Transient Supporter

Oddometer:
    So many places...

Near your route:
    -Big Horn Mountains and NF, WY, just west of 25, on Hwy 14 and alt 14. Ride to western edge of mountains so you can look out towards Lovell. Awesome roads and views. Shell on Hwy 14 would be good too if time. Plenty of FS roads off 14 too.
    -Beartooth Hwy, Hwy 212, in MT and WY, and Chief Joseph Scenic Byway, Hwy 296, south of 90. Awesome roads and views.
    -Big Hole area in MT, south of 90 and Missoula, near Wisdom on Hwy 93 and 43. Coming out of the mountains towards Wisdom...beautiful. You could turn around to head back or work your way to the east and north. Beautiful country and many options.

Delorme Atlas and Gazetteers by state are great tools for roads both dirt and hard surface, camping, etc.
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/575993

Butler maps are good planning tools as well:
    https://butlermaps.com/

Consider looking at ride reports for ideas.
  7. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haul my bikes and RV quite a bit----sometimes being gone for months-------and I go to awesome, scenic places-------not your ordinary stuff.
    I carry 2 bikes---big one--small one and 2 bicycles.
    [​IMG]

Stories are on my website and cover--------Kentucky, Missouri, Mississippi, Alabama, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Nebraska, Colorado and more.

Here's direct links to some of them---might give you some ideas.
    http://www.bigdogadventures.com/Southwest2020Part01.htm

http://www.bigdogadventures.com/Home On The Range Part 1.htm

http://www.bigdogadventures.com/2018-19 Southwest.htm

[​IMG]
  8. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    In Colorado try Ouray/Silverton. Several days of ultra-high elevation riding in the Alpine Loop. Also you can do several days out of South Fork CO both northeast and south of town.

Try the Ozarks in northwest Arkansas.
  9. KYwoodsrider

KYwoodsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer: