Local ride report links

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by atgreg, May 12, 2004.

1. andy mac

andy mac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rangitaiki 40km from Taupo on the Napier Taupo Road has easy tracks on the flat & more challenging tracks on the surrounding hills. It's pumpice based so drains quickly but hill tracks can be scoured with deep ruts.
    The western end opposite the Rangitaiki Lodge is best for beginners. We used to stay in basic cabins at the Rangtaiki Tavern until they logged the hill behind the tavern 5 years ago. My friend's 2 teenage boys practised their skills here & the oldest is now a better rider than his father or me.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://goo.gl/maps/tgRHoRMgLEPrvqZf7
    Watercat, young1, Oaters and 2 others like this.
  2. acertainalias

acertainalias Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just back from a 4-day tour of Northland and Cape Reinga.

Link to ride report in Day Trippin is here.
    Russ, glitch_oz and oldbeer like this.
  3. acertainalias

acertainalias Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dave Young likes this.
  4. enduro0627

enduro0627 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. enduro0627

Oddometer:
    eri and glitch_oz like this.
  6. enduro0627

Oddometer:
  7. Kiwigber

Kiwigber Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Mamamuka gorge road referred to in the above posts has been closed for some time due to a rather serious slip.There are plans to reopen before Xmas, so with limited time to enjoy the trafficless "best road in NZ" yesterday I decided to take an advantage-lots of orange cones and road closed signs (including a white Toyota ute and driver) just North of Mamamuka Bridge,I gave said driver a cheery wave and got one back.I had forgotten just how nice this road is,but,there are quite a few repairs happening in preparation for what appears to be a complete reseal.A word of warning for anyone planning this trip,there are cracks in the seal that have been filled with a tar like substance that on closer inspection is quite soft and oiley,I nearly lost the front end early on when I hit one of these patches so was careful to avoid all the others.Got as far as the slip,turned around and did it all again in reverse.Lovely riding day so home via Kohukohu,the car ferry to Rawene for late lunch,SH12 and 11 and back to Kororareka.A good day out.
  8. acertainalias

acertainalias Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is a link to the report of last week's 4-day ride around the central north island. So happy to be able to get out and ride like this when the rest of the world is in some state of lock down or disarray to some degree or other. Will try to get away again in mid-Jan.

Peter et. Al do another NZ Central North Island Trip
  9. acertainalias

acertainalias Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been out and about again last week - another 4 day trip down and up the North Island. Will complete over the next few days. Always interested to hear other people's experiences of the places we visit, and to hear the "you should have gone here or there" comments. Those suggestions go on the "next time" list. I've been in NZ for 9 years so I still feel a bit like a tourist at times, but don't mean to sound like one ...

The Third of the Fork Apes - Not the Two Ronnies ride to Cape Palliser and back the long way (NZ)
    Box'a'bits, EVLED and glitch_oz like this.