Local Rider made a Movie - Riding Remote and Alone

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by NSFW, Jun 13, 2019.

1. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Tricepilot you nuked my civil post discussing hearing opinions from some folks who had posted reviews in this thread - does that mean I shouldn't even bother posting my review of the movie here?
    DesertSurfer and 2 SPOT like this.
  2. Traffic

Traffic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the same question?
    DesertSurfer and 2 SPOT like this.
  3. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you Joel for starting this and to all the Advriders that came out to support the only adventure riding entry at this years Silicon Beach Film Festival.

For those who don't know me I've been an Adv inmate for 13 years and follower for 15. I hang out with the big boys over in the Orange Crush section ( just fucking with ya) and have the pleasure of riding with Chris Parker and the Rottweiler crew when time permits... Maybe you've read some of my ride reports.

[​IMG]
    Adv Inmate Dave DoubleD44

Typically off road motorcycle content doesn't get much love by film festival organizers and we were stuck in the 2 o'clock time slot which isn't optimal.

[​IMG]

The theater was 2/3 rds full and was a good cross section of rider friends, my tv and film peers, surfer friends, family and friends and other festival viewers.

[​IMG]

And it was universally well received by all.

The Q&A afterwards was very engaging and positive with great questions like "where to next"?

Seeing my travel documentary feature play on the big screen was an emotional moment and a milestone for a long career in film and tv...

[​IMG]

To create and work on my own project rather then being that constant gun for hire on other peoples productions.

[​IMG]

And it's that opportunity to work on the genre I want to sit down at the end of a long day and zone out to... when I know I have long weeks of work ahead before my next adventure trip.
  4. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok I'll try my luck with a review here. In my now-deleted post I mentioned I supported the creators with a rental from Amazon, so they have my money.

It's not a bad effort, and I'm happy to support the creators with my money so that we can get more content of this type. There's parts of it I really enjoyed, such as the 'trail tips' and the rider talking to the camera and sharing his perspective. There's definitely some scripted moments / speeches that kinda take away from it, but the riding shots and a few instances of the rider sharing his perspectives and experience came across as genuine and were enjoyable (like the camping and meal tips). There are some parts of it I didn't enjoy and thought were unnecessary, and tonally I thought it didn't work as a movie/tv pilot overall. The rider is obviously a competent / experienced rider (it shows) and I thought some of the drama around the road surface was hyped a bit.. *shrug*

Here's what I did enjoy a lot, and would pay to see more of. I liked the riding shots (even some of the drone shots) mixed with the trail / camping / riding tips, and the detailed map graphics and the fact that they shared the route (or GPS track?) so a viewer could potentially follow the rider's route. I think this would make a great Youtube series.
    sharpie1, Mr Head, rjnutt and 2 others like this.
  5. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    hey surfer, looks like ya had a good turnout, congrats.
    DesertSurfer likes this.
  6. DesertSurfer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Hey Brianpc, You paid me the ultimate compliment by supporting my travel feature with your buy. So a huge thank you!!! (And to those others who came to the show or bought it online.)

And thank you for courageously writing your comments and posting online for others to interpret or criticize here on Advrider ( which oddly can turn into a war zone?). And thank you for not spoiling any reveals for others. Very respectful move, thank you!

[​IMG]

Your insights on your review are hugely valuable for any show maker including myself. And I especially appreciate how you broke it down into:

Greatly Liked

Liked A lot

Shrug

Didn't Enjoy

And your wrap up : "I think this would make a great YouTube series".

[​IMG]

I'd like to say you're the very first to mention and compliment the map and GPS graphics ( since my building them). I mirrored them from my Garmn 600 series interface. Thank you for cleverly noticing that rider detail!

Other gems in your review for me were that you'd watch more, rider genuine, enjoyed the perspective sharing , liked the details in cooking , trail, camping and riding tips, the imagery and the drone shots.

That's a huge compliment for any content maker to hear so thanks again for that!

Wearing my story creative hat, I'd like to respond to an important comment you bring to light...

" Tonally I didn't think it worked as a Film/ TV pilot overall".

Thank you for touching on this.

[​IMG]

A big part of my TV and some film experience is pushing format boundaries... Experimenting with styles or techniques in production, story or editing. Just as fab builders do on bike builds or architects on buildings.

I do push convention in this show. I'm trying to elicit emotion. That emotion of how I feel it... of those moments on my rides. So the audience gets that same rush or human response. Creative story telling on screen is an experimental process.

I try to be subtle in pushing these boundaries. But traditional TV and Film are less forgiving, you are right!

[​IMG]

Also passing along the information to the audience is a tricky game. Some viewers need more of one thing to get a response and less of another. It's a very delicate balancing act.

You're pretty dead nails on... And the viewer's honest opinion is alway right.

And remember I'm at a bit of a disadvantage. I'm trying to create an entertainment property that appeals to an audience, not "one". Any individual will have their various "Greatly likes" and "Shrugs".

[​IMG]

Some may question why then... is this show, a very niche, independent adventure motorcycle travel story doing well on the film festival circuit and winning in the TV and Documentary Feature categories? Especially since, honestly, most festivals don't give a shit about off road riders. It's because this show is pushing boundaries.

It's about taking risks... beyond the metaphors. And I'm 100 percent putting myself out there. It's what we as adventure riders do every time we get on our bikes. We hit nasty ruts, we ride over them or fall and we get back on it.

I totally respect and appreciate your review and others ( please keep in mind this was a very small production).

My show is currently streaming on Amazon Prime

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ST97YM8
    Mr Head likes this.
  7. DesertSurfer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I want to again thank all the attendees and Advriders who came to my screening last Thursday to support a show for adventure riding and the Silicon Beach Film Festival.

The energy from the audience was awesome filling the room with laughter, gasps and hoots to the end.

And as a result my show received one of the highest honors at the following Friday night awards ceremony, The Best Documentary Audience Award.

[​IMG]

Standing between the Silicon Beach Film Festival directors at the awards.

[​IMG]

It feels great to win this award at my first festival screening. And knowing the audience feels the emotions of the ride.

Watching this show on the big screen really worked well.

[​IMG]

And hopefully in the future I can organize my own "Bike Night" screening at a local theater with a better time slot.

Again thanks Joel and thanks all!
    brianpc, Mr Head and NSFW like this.
  8. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    congrats again paul!

can we plan a screening at a local bike shop sometime in November? the owners are very supportive to ADV riders.

i will provide the pizza and refreshments. attendees can make a donation of any amount to the cause.

of course seeing it in the big screen with cinematic sound is the way to go.
  9. DesertSurfer

Oddometer:
    Hey Joel,

We can definitely do an event at the local bike shop of your preference. And we'll make it great.

We can see what projector/ screen and seating capabilities they have for 90 minutes of programmng.

I live near the 805 brewery, maybe I can workout a deal on refreshments unless that's inappropriate for the shop.

I know a girls 80's style lite punk and western band that could play a set if that interests anybody before or after?

Maybe have a food truck swing by. Up to you.

I might be able to also preview new footage for episode 2 then too.

Just let me know what you like.
    DSchmidt7of7, GalacticGS and CA Stu like this.
  10. DesertSurfer

Oddometer:
    Thanks 2 Spot.

I did see you asked about my aggregator which is Distribber. They have helped me get into Amazon Prime, AppleTV/ ITunes and Google play this year and have a pipeline available to many other streaming platforms down the road.

I’m new with them so the words still out. I’ll give my 2 cents on them when I have more insight. I can say their delivery specs are strict.

But they have a dashboard and my show received 410 buys in the first 10 days it streamed... averaging 41 buys per day.

Sorry I had mistaken your buddies posts as yours earlier.

Hey Joel,

I had great feedback from Advriders and film goers over the last week and I’m definitely going to try to hold some Theater bike night events. I’ll look into your buddies shop as well. I do like the local shop feel.

I compiled some feedback that I’ll be tweaking to the show. I’ll be going with a little darker color as the cinema projection throws so much light.

And I will adjust the music mix to add more bass which the theater can easily handle more of.

I’ll also be adding a few more lines of voice over early in the show explaining that this show is 100% based on a true story and a lot of the feature uses the actual footage of that first adventure ride.

But this is a feature that backs up the story with much higher camera cinematography for the viewer’s experience in addition with the initial ride.

And if anyone is going to World Superbike I’ll be riding an Aprilia sport tourer up there for three days to watch the Corkscrew and pass out postcards. Hope to see you there.

[​IMG]
    2 SPOT likes this.
  11. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Paul.

I would rather see everyone sees it in the theater due to better visuals and sounds.

Later, this could be in late November let's do it in the shop in Eagle Rock. The location makes it convenient for everyone. We can also invite the shop's regular customers.

Cheers and thanks.
    DesertSurfer likes this.