On to Prairie du Chien. PDC was once an indian village at the confluence of the Wisconsin and Mississippi Rivers. It became an important fur trading center. It is the oldest community on the upper miss. This island once had a fort that controlled this important location. This site protects the trade route from the Great Lakes at Green Bay across Wisconsin via two rivers to the Mississippi. People didn't travel overland in those early days - they took the rivers. During the war of 1812, the British fought a battle on this island and took the fort. Rail service came in 1857. By the way, if you are a treasure hunter, the guys that stole money that was headed for the fort buried it on the bluffs across the river - probably in Wyalusing State Park. In severe floods, this island takes about five feet of water over the top. Here is a shot of the Wisconsin River. It joins the Mississippi at the bluffs in the background.