Locus Pro

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by caymann, Oct 24, 2015.

1. caymann

caymann Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I downloaded and paid for Locus Pro.
    So far i like it.
    However it wants you to pay for vector maps

Are there vector maps available for free that i can use in Locus pro?

Also in Locus pro, is it possible to do voice guided navigation when off road, provided i give it a GPX file with waypoints as tracks?

thanks
    jim
  2. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    The Locus thread here on advider is a great resource for questions/answers about both the free and paid versions of locus. I don't know if you missed it, or were overwelmed by the number of pages to read through, just wanted to point it out. Maybe it would be better to merge your new thread with it ? :)
  3. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi @ohgood , the Locus thread is indeed overwhelmingly long :-) May I ask you simple question here - how does the Lomaps subscription work? My understanding is that you pay once for the Locus Pro and you have it forever with any subsequent updates. The Lomaps, on the other hand, are paid for each individual update, and you can only use a paid map for as long as it is physically on your device - once a year had expired you may no longer download even the version you paid for, meaning that if you change your device or have lost the downloaded file, you have to buy it again. Is that correct?
  4. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

Maps are next to nothing......you should get a a number of freebies with the Locus Pro purchase

You can get BRouter to do the vector tables that allow navigation
    .....and yes dumping a GPX in and doing turn by turn is possible
  5. ohgood

Oddometer:

locus (app) updates are forever, and you can install it on all your devices, without paying for it every time, if you use the same Google account.

locus (lomaps) map updates are described as being free. i just updated my lomaps and was not charged for their updates but it's listed as being subject to charges.... last i remember it was about fifty cents per state for the intuition purchase. you can always use openandromaps for free, or try out the John thorpe maps of you want to try something new.
    Screenshot_2019-04-19-02-59-50.png
    petertakov likes this.
  6. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, as far as I understand, it depends on what a "version" means. The last sentence reads that any new update needs to be purchased. Does that mean that I need to pay again every few months if I want to update my maps? The price of individual states is very low indeed but here in Europe a 2-3 weeks tour usually means travelling across quite a lot of countries and the total creeps up, especially if you need to pay it every few months. I understand that you have not been charged although you should have been (?) - the question is whether this some sort of bonus rule or just a glitch?

The terms as described on their site are quite unclear and self-contradictory - I wonder whether this is on purpose or just a bad wording/translation. I'm still not clear whether if I purchase the PRO version and some maps, I will still have to pay for the updates of those maps? With OSMand it's very clear - purchase the apps and you can download the map updates for free forever. Unfortunately, OSMand still draws so much power that my charger can't keep with it. How' Locus in this regard if you have had the chance to compare them on the same device?
  7. ohgood

Oddometer:
    i have no idea other than the screen shot, and my experience above.

locus typically uses 1%-3% per hour of use, so basically nothing compared to screen-on.
    petertakov likes this.
  8. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @ohgood what/where are the John Thorpe maps? I haven't come across them.
  9. ohgood

Oddometer:
    I've been hesitant to talk about them much... they're pretty expensive and I'm still not convinced they're worth it

Screenshot_2019-04-20-05-31-58.png
  10. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
    ohgood likes this.
  11. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    That hasn't been my experience. I think I've only paid for an individual state once, and free updates thereafter. If cost is an issue, use the Openandromaps
  12. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Updates on LoMaps cost money.

Screenshot_20190421-090442.jpg