Locus

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by levain, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Smackit

Smackit Life Is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    On my Samsung, they are under Setttings--->Display--->Screen Mode
    If you don't have the Screen Mode Setting on your device, check for Screen Zoom and Font. They should be the same on both of your devices.
  2. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Hi Smackit. Thanks for taking the time to try and help me. There does not seem to be a way to change the phones resolution on either of the phones. I can change the vividness and contrast and the font size but that's about it. I have developer mode activated on both phones if that tells you anything but there doesn't seem to be anything in those options related to resolution. The Asus has a larger screen and I can see the same image at 3 miles (13) 185% as I see on the Nomu at 1 mile (13) . Except it is a much bigger image on the Asus obviously. I guess in the long run it really doesn't matter as I am zooming in and out anyway.
  3. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

This is awesome sauce!
  4. ohgood

Oddometer:
    Went for a hard ride in some greasy slick trails today. My first GPS guided (that someone else supplied) hard trail ride. Locus used 14% or so over 5 3/4 hours of me failing to do much more than spin, slide, and do-over. Rained all day, greasy is the best description of the trail condition.
    No tracks for you, just the elevation profile ;-)
    Screenshot_2018-02-24-19-04-05.png
  5. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Now you know what us Washingtonians go through about 8 months of the year.. hahaha :-)
  6. ohgood

Oddometer:
    I'm impressed. Normally if these were the conditions I would skip it entirely
    Cyclepath likes this.
  7. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    You can actually cheat that.

A method I came up with on a 15 day trip in the rain

.....Run with the sound off (guidance mode works) with OsmAnd in background.

If you use a GPX from something like Furkot, they will track identically, I came up with that one trying to get home, in the dark, in a deluge, witch a backup helmet that was leaking like mad so I couldn't really see, and I couldn't rely on OsmAnd because of its lack of a screen lock.
    Albie likes this.
  8. Smackit

Oddometer:
    The Strava heatmap is pretty cool because it shows every activity ever uploaded to Strava.

https://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#7.00/-120.90000/38.36000/hot/all

You can add this layer to Locus if you've installed the Locus addon Map Tweak. When you install the Map Tweak, go to the folder on your device Locus/mapsOnline/custom. Replace the providers.xml file with the one in this zip file and copy the strava.png file into the same directory. Restart Locus and then go to Maps and you will see the Strava heatmap option.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ohgood likes this.
  9. ohgood

Oddometer:

Woohoo ! Someone else is checking out these possibilities!

Cool, ain't it ?
  10. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Huh, never thought about running two apps at once like that. Gonna have to play around with this.
  11. Smackit

Oddometer:
    Getting the Butler maps into Locus.... not fun, but possible.
    #1 You need a Rever account to see the Butler Maps.
    #2 Screenshot the areas you want at a useful resolution.
    #3 You need the paid version of MAPC2MAPC
    #4 Load the screenshot image into MAPC2MAPC
    #5 Perform the map calibration step.
    #6 In MAPC2MAPC choose Edit>Fit coordinates and choose Mercator and WGS84 Datum.
    #7 Output the file to Locus
    #8 Copy the sql file to Locus/maps
    #9 Select the map in Locus from the Offline source.

It's a lot of work, but a very valuable exercise in making Locus maps for anything you can see on your screen.

[​IMG]

Yes, I know, you can calibrate a raster image map directly in Locus, but I'm throwing screenshots that are 30,000 X 30,000 pixels, there's no way to work with that amount of data without a program like MAPC2MAPC
  12. ohgood

Oddometer:

It's just four waypoints to georeference the image in locus. You could ask the developers of rever/Butler to allow licensing to locus also. Then it would just be in your list of maps.

Here, it took longer to edit this post and upload the screenshot than reference it... Screenshot_2018-03-01-06-05-39.png
  13. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah but i think @Smackit's point is that the real image he uses is 30kx30k px. We are in 2-4gb uncompressed image size territory, and it's well possible that locus handle simple image overlay by loading everything directly in RAM (not like a raster map), so it's not gonna work as easy as with this sample ^^

This function is still super cool, i did a very nice day ride 2 weeks ago by using it to create a track/route from a simple jpg map found on the web :)
  14. ohgood

Oddometer:

Yup I'm familiar with how huge images can be.... But I also know that what's really wanted from that image is the color coded roads, so it can be used to plot routes or just follow along... Which doesn't need the huge file size at all.

Quick n easy reference of the image , plot the route along those color coded roads, then goooo :-)

Screenshot_2018-03-01-07-22-45.png

Advnener - sorry, that last post came off kind of smart Alecky. Didn't mean it that way :-)

Attached Files:

15. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah exactly... overlay image, route planner with brouter and profit! really easy.
  16. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm new to Locus. Like this week. I'm in the US and I've downloaded several maps from Locus store. They're cheap enough. But I can't find a map view that differentiates between paved and unpaved. Even gravel roads show up white just as paved roads. Is there a way for different color coding?

Thanks
  17. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:

I also tried downloading the Adventure theme that SRTie4k devolved but it doesn't appear to be loading. I sent it to Dropbox then downloaded it in my map items. It's there but not opening. I'm using a Galaxy S5 with Locus pro. I'm sure it's my lack of knowledge on this that's the problem.
    ohgood likes this.
  18. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    You need to place the Adventure folder in your Locus/mapsVector/_themes directory (you should also see folders for Elevate and Elements in there). Once loaded, open Locus and click the blue tab on the lower left corner of the screen, click Map themes, then select Adventure from the external themes.
    ohgood likes this.
  19. ohgood

Oddometer:

If you're LUCKY the osm (open street map) data has tagged the gravel roads properly. I use several different themes depending on what kind of preference I have that day. Here are a few you can try:
    Screenshot_2018-03-01-08-37-36.png

Screenshot_2018-03-01-08-40-57.png

Screenshot_2018-03-01-08-40-54.png

To figure out which one you like the most. Again it depends on how active your community has been in tagging the roads properly.

Here is the coordinate to test for yourself: N 33.19709° , W 086.06377°
  20. worstell

worstell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I need some help with Guidance settings, and notification in particular.

So I used Route Planner to create a route and attempted to follow it using Guidance on my bicycle. I am trying to learn how to use Lotus before I embark on the eastern part of the Transamerica Trail (TAT) in July. I plan to follow TAT gpx tracks available for purchase.

During my 25 mile bicycle ride, the guidance notifications were erratic. Sometimes I would get repeated messages of something like "next point in XXX feet". Other times, when approaching an important turn, I wouldn't get any notification at all.

Some of my related Guidance settings are:
    Guidance --> Notification --> Notify at distance enabled, 100 feet, Text-to-Speech
    Guidance --> Set next trackpoint enabled, 300 feet, Text-to-Speech
    Guidance --> Set notification of the next direction ... enabled, Text-to-Speech
    Guidance --> "Out of route" notification enabled, 100 feet, Text-to-Speech
    Guidance --> Advanced Settings, Strict route following enabled
    Guidance --> Advanced Settings, Number of alerts = medium

I have bad reading vision and will therefore need to rely on Text-to-Speech notification when riding the TAT. Otherwise, I have to stop frequently to take my reading glasses on and off to see the Lotus track display.

I'm using a Kyocera Duraforce Pro. And I am using offline LoMaps that I purchased.

What Guidance settings are others using?