Locus

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by levain, Jun 26, 2014.

1. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    I can't speak to "touching a POI from search", but I do know that tapping on a point on the map screen - whether a track point, a waypoint or long pressing on a location - which ends up bringing up the popup, will leave auto-centering on while keeping the map screen focused on whatever you last looked at. I believe even if you drag the map to another location with a popup open, the screen stays at that location despite the fact that auto center is enabled. You have to tap the screen again to "close" the popup in order for auto centering to snap back to your location.

I've had that happen numerous times on rides before. It's a minor annoyance, but it makes some logical sense. It's a bit of a grey area whether it makes more sense to snap to location while a popup is open, or leave the screen in the last location.
    DelHess, cyberdos and ohgood like this.
  2. SRTie4k

Oddometer:
    FWIW when I'm riding and I know I won't be stopping very frequently, I'll often enable screen lock in Locus to prevent errant "presses" that might prevent auto centering from working correctly. Both water and dust will sometimes cause phantom touches on my phone if you get enough of it. Screen lock prevents that from happening...except for once or twice water has "pressed" the Android home button and even activated the fingerprint sensor before! The home button can be hidden, unfortunately can't stop the fingerprint sensor from reading, but that was a weird one anyways.
    ohgood likes this.
  3. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    in this screen capture, i moved away from gps location via east west north and south, and it auto returned each time within 5 seconds, per the settings.

then i selected a poi and moved around some, but it does not return to gps location.

after deselecting the poi, it returns to gps location 5 seconds later.

i think this is all normal operation, and would expect it to do this while I'm viewing poi/waypoints , so that i don't lose their location each time.

4. AdvNener

AdvNener Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use the screenlock feature often too. Mandatory under rain anyway...
    ohgood likes this.
  5. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    I've never had that option turned on because to me it's a bit annoying. If I'm panning the screen, I want it to stay put to where I was looking rather than autocenter within 5 seconds of me panning. I understand that hypothetically this option helps to keep the map locked onto your current location but for whatever reason, that didn't even help while I had a POI highlighted away from my location.

Like SRT mentions, it's a minor annoyance which, in all the years of me using this app, had never happened but now that I know, it's an easy thing to 'fix'.
  6. ohgood

Oddometer:
    please see the video i posted earlier. it's doing exactly what you've mentioned so far.... from earlier:
    Screenshot_2019-06-04-12-34-38.jpg
    I'm that earlier scenario, you press the "cross hairs" to auto-center and it does.

when scrolling around the map and you -don't-want auto center, press the cross hairs (lower left) to turn it off.

when viewing pois , if they are highlighted they disable auto center automatically. deselect the poi and it will go back to auto-center, if auto-center is turned on by the cross hairs button lower left.

or maybe I've completely misunderstood your goals here. that happens a lot :-)
  7. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    You have. It's all good, no worries.
  8. thecrumb

thecrumb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Playing around with Locus and OSMAnd - what maps are folks using on Locus?

The default topo map is a bit hard to read. Downloading maps I have tons of options but not sure which one is best. Mainly interested in roads, not topo.
  9. SRTie4k

Oddometer:
  10. thecrumb

Oddometer:
  11. ohgood

Oddometer:
    ask him about his excellent THEME he built for locus too !
  12. ohgood

Oddometer:

this is about a quarter of the available maps
    Screenshot_2019-06-05-19-44-43.png

if you install and run map tweak
    Screenshot_2019-06-05-19-44-58.png
  13. Coyote1000

Coyote1000 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am having trouble downloading a LO map for British Columbia. I keep getting an error message saying I don’t have enough storage on the phone. The weird part is I was using this phone with Locus without problems but haven’t used it for a while. I suddenly was unable to access any of my maps. I reinstalled Locus Pro and now can’t get the LO map to download. Getting frustrated.
  14. rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder redemption gypsy

Oddometer:
    Does the above map/ link need the rendertheme app loaded on the android or is that for folks not running a Locus theme?

oh.. and ... i only run two local maps from the lo store at this time as a lot of the terrain i am wanting to be on can only be viewed/ tracks made from google earth. I changed the Locus settings to automatic toggle from one "similar" map zone to another , but lately even when that is checked off i have to manually turn on the similar lo map for the area i have ridden into . IS there some setting in Locus that could over ride the auto map change setting and leave the moving position/triangle icon riding into a grey cloud?
  15. rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder redemption gypsy

Oddometer:
    Thanks for not just the fixes and video's for this locator "drift off the screen" issue... but believe me when i say how frustrating it is to get all the back ground info tabled here in the thread... so to speak.... so everyone can see/understand this problem.. for a noob out in the field like me.. with two or more other riders hot on my heals.... all i know is the icon is gone off the map. .....:fpalm.....

For anyone not savy enough to follow a Locus trouble shooting thread :type... i would vote this needed "fix" as cyberdos deems it.. would turn many new-bee's off to using Locus.
  16. ohgood

Oddometer:

unfortunately there isn't a bug to fix in the software, it's the users understanding that had to be fixed ! ;-)

the user simply didn't understand that highlighting a poi turns off the auto-centering button, until you stop highlighting the poi.

if the auto-centering button is pressed, the map stays centered on your GPS location until the screen is touched/moved by the user.

if the setting "auto return after 5 seconds" is NOT turned on, the first time the screen is moved by the user it will not return to center automatically.

if the "auto return after 5 seconds" IS turned on, you can pan/zoom all over the map, and it returns to gps location after 5 seconds.

I'll add pictures when i have better service....
  17. thecrumb

Oddometer:
    Been playing with Locus quite a bit and yesterday had it route me to the local gas station - that worked great :)

Searching (offline) however is a bit hit or miss. I tried both the default Graphhopper and Brouter.
    It always expects me to enter a city first, then a road. Is that adjustable? And even when I do enter a city, often times it will fail when finding a nearby road. But if I click on the 'go to map' icon in the search I can find the road on the map - so it's there :)

Often I'm out in the middle of nowhere with no cell service so offline is important.
  18. ohgood

Oddometer:

city names can overlap, if you enter the wrong city, it won't find the street you're looking for.

routing will work anywhere, as long as the road (not the road name) is in the routing database.

the poi database is only as good as the last update, it's always better to call ahead and verify a business is still operating before counting on them for gas/food/lodging
  19. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    Nobody is asking to fix any bugs in the software. I think by now we're all well aware that it's not an actual bug. It's a software behavior so there is nothing to 'fix' which is why we've been putting the word fix in quotes. Once SRT pointed out the waypoint highlight thing it was clearly evident that it was the culprit for said behavior. I even said it was a rookie mistake on my part a few posts ago.

The bottom line is that the issue I was having was that I had a waypoint selected which was causing the map to stay put. Clear that waypoint, and all is back to normal.

AGAIN, I do not like the 5-second option because when I'm planning a route or just browsing the map in general I hate it automatically going back to my location every 5 seconds. With the lower left button always activated (and no waypoints selected) I hadn't had any map freeze issues so this was just a rare mystery that I couldn't figure out. Even if you have that 5-second option selected, if you also have a waypoint selected, it WILL NOT go back to your position so offering that as a solution is not going to work.

Once you figure out that the waypoint or track selection causes this sort of behavior then you know what to look for if it happens to you. So, rarepartbuilder is correct in saying that this little 'fix' is something that is valuable for n00b users to know so they aren't scratching their heads wondering WTF is going on with their frozen maps. 5-second option clicked or not.
  20. ohgood

Oddometer:
    if a point is selected, the map will stay where it is until the user pans it or deselects the point that was highlighted.

this functionality is universal across tracks, routes, waypoints, and pois.

it's up to the user to understand it, since this isn't explained in the user manual. if you really want it explained in the manual, I'm sure the dev team will add that explanation of the functionally for you.

your preference against the 5 second centering option could also be tweaked by asking for a different time amount, or user definable variable, via the feature request section of the locus dev forum. you can also report bugs there.

:-)