Locus

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by levain, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there a setting anyone is using that makes it easy to see the lane you should be in or the route where there are multiple lanes like a highway off ramp where there might be many lanes?

I use auto zoom based on mph and like it but at highway speeds unless I manually zoom in ( I know, not safe) sometimes I'll take the wrong exit lane where there are many to choose from.
    I know I could increase my 55 mph zoom but I also like seeing what's ahead.

Thanks
  2. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

no. you'll want to use a different application for lane guidance
  3. rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder redemption gypsy

Oddometer:
    Ok thanks OhGood, looking forward to that.. We are riding north of 300 kms a trip of off road each week on a dedicated riding day.I have ripped off the OsmAnd band-aid so to speak and resigned to using Locus exclusively off road ... Its nice to come back from the trenches to this thread and re-focus on the Locus capabilities you folks have mastered.

Bill
    ohgood likes this.
  4. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    Osmand and googlemaps do the lane thing pretty well. I have to agree it's a pretty cool feature for city riding. I haven't been on a streetbike ride for years and last time I did I used Locus so I can't help there. I always thought that Osmand was the go to street ride app but I was disappointed to hear about people having trouble with the voice prompts on twisty roads. I like Osmand's visual interface.
    ohgood likes this.
  5. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah it just sucks when you're using Locus for 1200 miles on a Dual Sport trip then have to get on the highway for a few miles and switch apps. I'll probably just deal with it because I don't usually use it for city or highway navigation.
    ohgood likes this.
  6. ohgood

Oddometer:

PREACH !!!

i hate having to alternate between two or three applications for street driving , lodging, off road.

but

I'm really glad they all are available to use. nothing beats hot meals, hot showers , and a laundromat when you need em, instead of outdated pois !
    Sonny S. likes this.
  7. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think Locus is definitely designed for bicyclist and hikers more so than motor vehicles. We just try to take what's there that we can use and make the most out of.
  8. ohgood

Oddometer:

you're exactly correct. locus is meant primarily for bicycling, then hiking, geocaching, etc... but it works fantastic for dual sport/off roading.

someday Garmin will have logical track and waypoint storage that rivals it.

lololol no I'm joking, that'll never happen !
    gpsdualsport, Sonny S. and Emgo like this.
  9. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    OSMAnd's design for this looks nice, but I've encountered problems with it's function multiple times. Going down the interstate dozens of miles away from anywhere I am headed, it has told me to be in the exit lane, even though the map route and 'next exit' indicator were correct. I've also been in cities where I actually was counting on it and the lane indicator showed something nonsensical. Not sure if it is an error in the map data or a program glitch, but it is not the type of thing I have time to investigate when I encounter the problems...
  10. ohgood

Oddometer:
    this is where Google maps shines.

and it now has traffic collision reporting, speed traps, etc built in.

for city navigation it's really really hard to beat Google maps
  11. DelHess

DelHess Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm fairly new to locus, but I've been playing with it for a few weeks now and really like it.

My question is, is there any way to make a routing profile for Locus that has a preference for on unpaved roads? I recognize that Locus uses whatever routing engine you install. I know the data is there because I've seen the option for no unpaved roads, but I would like it to preferred dirt roads not avoid them. Is there a way to do it? Hopefully be doing some riding in Vermont this summer and it would be awesome to go from point A to point B on as much dirt as possible.

I did not read this whole thread oh, so my apologies if its already been addressed
  12. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    Sadly no.
    ohgood likes this.
  13. AdvNener

AdvNener Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't you do that with a custom BRouter profile? Never had to mess with them...
    With the known limitation that this will only work as good as the precision of the roads tags in OSM... ok, short answer may indeed well be "sadly no".
  14. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heck Saturday we were riding the Harley's up in PA and hit a quick route plan over Tuscarora forest and I hit avoid highways and avoid unpaved roads. We ended up on gravel roads and riding part of section 6 of the MABDR... Lol! I had the MABDR route open on my DF Pro anyway and then I saw we were on it. Never planned on riding part of the MABDR on my 900 lb Ultra Classic haha! Should have taken pics and posted them in the thread. We laughed and said Locus has never seen me hit avoid unpaved roads before and it was confused.
    Cyclepath and ohgood like this.
  15. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    What I have had to do just to plan a route on some gravel roads is try different profiles. Motorcycle and Moped seem to "usually" work. Sometimes it requires walking. Just never know.
  16. SRTie4k

Oddometer:
    I have updated the "Adventure" Locus theme to support Mapsforge v4 vector maps.

Please keep in mind that this is currently in BETA form, so I cannot guarantee that everything works 100%. A handful of tags were deprecated, in the upgrade, so scaling of text and POIs and such have changed a bit.

NOTE: You MUST download the theme that matches the maps you are using. The older theme that supported v3 maps is NOT compatible with v4 maps, and vice versa.

I have added the theme links to my sig. You should download and unpack the zip contents to your mapsVector/_themes directory on your phone in order for Locus to recognize them.
    rapuckett55, Pjammer, DelHess and 5 others like this.
  17. SRTie4k

Oddometer:
    I've actually decided that "compressing" the theme files would be easier for me to maintain them going forward, so both V3 and V4 themes (as well as all resource files) are now contained in the same download. What this means is that you can now download my theme and extract EVERYTHING in the zip to the Locus/mapsVector directory, and you will have Adventure themes for both V3 and V4 maps! Yes, you can use them interchangeably.

I would also recommend you delete the previous Adventure theme files beforehand as well.

Lastly, I have also added a new toggle to the theme for 'Fuel', which will show fueling locations at most zoom levels.
    gpsdualsport and Sonny S. like this.
  18. DelHess

DelHess Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. SRTie4k

Oddometer:
    If you download my adventure theme, anything OSM tagged with dirt or gravel will show up in Locus on the base vector maps.

I just completed the MABDR 2 weeks ago and many of the roads were accurately tagged. That said, PA still needs a decent amount of work in OSM.
  20. lotecredneck

lotecredneck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have searched and wandered through countless settings screens and I can't find where to set the map to "north up".