Locus

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by levain, Jun 26, 2014.

1. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    If you uncheck the "rotate map" option on the map screen (on the bottom toolbar), that is what he is referring to.
  2. gpsdualsport

gpsdualsport former mid life crisis motorcycle owner

Oddometer:
    Yes you can but it will not be pretty. You have been invited to a PM discussing this very topic complete with links to YouTube showing step by step instructions for the tech handicapped like me.
    You can decide for yourself if it's worth all the trouble of getting a screen grab of the map you want. Then go to the trouble of georeferencing 4 points on the bitmap image and then getting the bitmap into the proper Locus directory.
    It is much easier to follow @SRTie4k suggestion to use his Most Excellent Adventure Theme and see how close that gets you to the desired dirt road visibility on OSM maps.
    ohgood and DelHess like this.
  3. AdvNener

AdvNener Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There seems to be a wms service for those map layers, so maybe... will only work online and not downloadable for offline use though. Don't have time to make it work right now but i leave some links about it for future reference:
    https://maps.psiee.psu.edu/paatlas/download.htm
    https://maps.psiee.psu.edu/paatlas/
    https://www.pasda.psu.edu/uci/DataSummary.aspx?dataset=260
    https://maps.pasda.psu.edu/arcgis/s...WMSServer?SERVICE=WMS&request=getcapabilities
  4. AdvNener

Oddometer:
    Okay.. actually i forgot how easy it is to import WMS in locus (contrary to WMTS.. until v4.x)

-Just go to the map selection screen (where you have online-offline-wms choice), choose wms, choose the big "+" to add one wms layer.
    - copy paste this url https://maps.pasda.psu.edu/arcgis/s...WMSServer?SERVICE=WMS&request=getcapabilities
    - leave user name and password blank, confirm

Now locus should list you all available layers from this service, select the one you want (Unpaved Roads 2009_07 I guess)

And.. voilà. The layer is added to whatever map you have selected. Works only online.
    DelHess, Emgo, gpsdualsport and 2 others like this.
  5. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    What is the adv theme that has been mentioned?
  6. AdvNener

Oddometer:
    See @SRTie4k signature. Awesome theme :)
    ohgood likes this.
  7. DelHess

DelHess Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thank you @AdvNener that was just what i was looking for! what a great amount of knowledge on this site!

the obvious downfall is that its only PA, and that it's only online availability, but in reality, if i want to sit down and make a route i have the layer available so that's pretty cool. maybe someone with more technical chops than me can figure out how to make it offline, idk, but thanks for help!
  8. AdvNener

Oddometer:
    ;)
    It's a raster map, meaning it's all only pictures, with several level of zoom been different pictures, so most zoomed in levels generating A LOT of pictures for the same area, so an offline map for a whole state may be BIG if you want to be able to display the most detailed zoom levels.
    Locus won't let you download WMS maps/layers. I'll give a try in the MOBAC software at home, maybe it can work.
  9. jeg29063

jeg29063 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Working on trying to learn Locus and have seen reference to Locus Map Tweak but not in playstore.
    Could anyone help me figure if this is still available and if so how to load it to Locus.
    Keep in mind that I am computer challenged. Thanks for your help!
  10. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    levain and ohgood like this.
  11. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Do you have a direct link to this new combined theme ? All I can find is the link at the bottom of your post that takes me to dropbox and then links to either v3 or v4 but nothing about combined zip file. My cell phone wont even show me links to that. Only on my computer. A link to your combined zip file would be handy.
    Sonny S. likes this.
  12. jeg29063

jeg29063 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you I'll give it a try when get home from work.
  13. jeg29063

jeg29063 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok downloaded file and have on my duraforce pro how do I get this to work with locus?
    Does it load itself automatically when Locus opened or Do I have to somehow install?
    Thanks for the help.
  14. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

the map tweak file?
  15. SRTie4k

Oddometer:
    I have modified the link so that it starts a download rather than showing the contents of the zip file on the Dropbox site. If you see the contents of the zip file however, all you have to do is click 'Download' in the upper-right corner of the site to download the zip file itself.
    Cyclepath and ohgood like this.
  16. jeg29063

jeg29063 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have the APK whatever that is?
  17. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    i can't tell what you're doing from what you've posted so far.

if you've downloaded the apk, you need to install it, and run it once, and restart locus.
  18. SRTie4k

Oddometer:
    An APK file is an app installer in Android-speak. You need to have a file explorer (I use Solid Explorer) in order to browse to wherever you placed the APK file, and to run it to install the map tweak app (just tap on it, and it will ask you if you want to install the app).

If it won't let you run the APK to install the app, you will need to go into settings and developer options (you might need to enable developer options) to enable "allow installation of third-party apps" or whatever that option may be called.

Once you install it, you should see it in your app drawer or list. Run it once. Then you just have to restart Locus and those extra maps should appear in the map list.
    ohgood likes this.
  19. jeg29063

jeg29063 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys got Locus tweaks loaded and working!
    ohgood likes this.
  20. DelHess

DelHess Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there any way to change position of the screen lock in landscape orientation? It covers the mileage when navigating Screenshot_20190618-070617_Locus Map.jpg