Locus

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by levain, Jun 26, 2014.

1. ThomasD

ThomasD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ohgood likes this.
  2. AdvNener

AdvNener Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From the app with the planner as linked above. Works like a charm!
  3. bcliff

bcliff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I must be doing something wrong. I've been using the route planner in the app and find it very frustrating. Difficult to move a move a line from one road to another. I'll keep at it because I really like this app so far. I'm sure its user error!
  4. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    Have you installed Brouter? Without it Locus will not be able to calculate your route.
  5. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there any way to get the street name font to be larger on Adventure theme? It seems like it's stuck using a tiny font but if I switch to desert theme, the font is perfect (roads are larger too)
  6. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    settings ... maps.... offline maps..... then here
    Screenshot_20190811-200846.png
  7. flamingm0e

Oddometer:
    Edit:. 200% helps very little
  8. DirtRider....

DirtRider.... Wandering Turtle

Oddometer:
    I've been testing and trying to use Locus app on my DF Pro phone i bought off ebay. I was using it in the car so not sure if that is part of my 2 issues.

One issue is the map doesn't move when i navigate. I thought I read in this thread how to fix that issue but of course i cannot find that when needed. Anyone know a fix for this issue?

Also, when i'm zoomed in the map detail quality is all pixilated and fuzzy... is that an issue anyone else has dealt with?

Thank you for any positive input on the issues i'm having.
  9. flamingm0e

Oddometer:
    Make sure the icon in the lower left corner of the screen is blue. The little crosshair.

If your maps are fuzzy, download better maps. It's likely the type of map it is, it might no be intended to be zoomed in on.
  10. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    1) that's the cross hairs at the lower left corner. there are also settings (check in settings) to auto return to your location. if either is turned off, it will not 'follow' your location.

2) which map, and was it used online or downloaded (offline) ?

just a heads up, locus has an extremely steep learning curve at the beginning. it's a good idea to poke around in all the settings to start with.
  11. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately in areas where there are lots of roads, "desert" causes quite a bit of clipping issues due to the road width.

Font size is small in Adventure, but that was primarily due to the way rendering is done in Locus. Essentially the logic for road name rendering is to render the font text only if there is a straight section of road that will fit the text length, the length being determined by text size. For that reason I left the font size somewhat smaller so as to get more rendering of tertiary road names.

That said, V4 maps have better rendering and more readable text. If you can, I would switch to V4 maps and Adventure theme.

I do like how desert renders route numbers, however. I might add that to the Adventure theme at some point.
    Smw6230, gpsdualsport and flamingm0e like this.
  12. DirtRider....

Oddometer:
    I think the maps were not fully downloaded when i went for my test drives... I downloaded the LoMaps... i now see Arizona, California and Nevada in my offline maps area. The detail seems to be there now when i zoom in.

Will test out the navigation at lunch and make sure the maps moves with me.

Does the Pro version allow more than 3 offline map downloads? Or do we have to buy the additional maps we want?
  13. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    You can download however many you want from openandromaps.
  14. AdvNener

AdvNener Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You have to buy the LoMaps from the locus store. If you just bough the pro version I think you had some initial credits so the first maps were "free". As a lot of things you can buy in the locus store have a sub-1-dollar price, the developper chose to sell you "credits" called locoins, and you use them to buy stuff in the locus store.

Anyway, you can download similar offline vectorial maps from the openandromaps website for free. You may even find that they are updated more often. The downside will be that the OSM POIs are not available on those (for locus). Maybe offline address search too, but i'm not sure, i don't use that a lot.
  15. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    I've downloaded some openadromaps but having trouble getting them to show up. Clearly just tapping on the .zip file isn't enough. What else do I need to do?
  16. SRTie4k

Oddometer:
    You need to unzip them.
  17. DirtRider....

Oddometer:
    I'm at this step as well... found how to unzip them... do you unzip to Locus/Maps folder? makes sense but thought i would ask.
  18. SRTie4k

Oddometer:
    Locus/mapsVector
  19. DirtRider....

Oddometer:
    Also be sure to "refresh list" once you've extracted the maps into the mapsvector folder. Thats found when viewing the "offline" maps by tapping the 3 dots in top right corner.
  20. SRTie4k

Oddometer:
    Yup, or force close and reopen.