Locus

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by levain, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    I don't see that. Can you post a screenshot?
    I tap on import and it goes to the dropbox, google drive, etc screen and it's empty since I haven't placed anything in there yet.
  2. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    Screenshot_20190815-121010.png
  3. Baroquenride

Oddometer:
    I finally got them to show up, but not because of 'refresh list' which I didn't know was there, so thanks for that. I tapped on the 3 dots next to the maps and chose 'center map' and they showed up! I don't understand why??? Anyway, when I'm scrolled all the way out and move across the country back to the PNW states, it shows blank and slowly fills in, but seems fine if I'm zoomed in and move across the country. I suspect that's just the computer itself struggling to keep up.

After spending so much time on this, I've gotten to know the app better, but I played around with Osmand+ last night and that seems so much easier for me and more intuitive. On the other hand, it doesn't seem to have nearly the capabilities. In general, I really only use these apps for recording tracks when I'm out riding with someone and as an atlas on my phone so I don't have to store one in my bags and stop to look at it all the time. So much easier to have it right there in front of me, even if I have to pull off the road for a bit. I think the biggest problem is that I don't use the functions often enough to remember where and how to use them all. Perhaps I can 'set it and forget it', but I'll have to figure out which I like better and delete the other one to make more room on my phone.
  4. ohgood

Oddometer:

that's a real thing... frequency makes everything easier
  5. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    Rendering in V4 maps changed quite a bit, there are a lot of deprecated MapsForge XML tags that needed to be replaced from the move from V3 to V4.

It's not perfect, though. It still needs some tweaking. I haven't had a lot of time to dedicate to it yet.
    flamingm0e likes this.
  6. Baroquenride

Oddometer:
    Oh, and I did get your Adventure Theme loaded and operating correctly @SRTie4k Looks interesting, I see it has fueling stops prominent, what else makes it better for us riders?
  7. Smackit

Smackit Life Is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    You will feel better if you're out on an adventure and you have the Adventure Theme!

For me, it de-clutters a lot of shit I don't care about and gives good contrast for the things I do care about. I hate contour lines, this theme lets you shut them off when you don't want them.
    rescuejg likes this.
  8. gavmac

gavmac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To just record your tracks have a look at GPSLogger, that's all it does, you can decide how often for a waypoint, save the track & export your GPX to wherever you want it. It turns the GPS on & off to save battery power.
  9. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Since I didn't tag you, I think you missed my question a page or so back. Anyway, when riding from one state to another, I had to manually select the next state for the nice pretty Adventure themed map to show up. Is there a setting where Locus with the Adventure theme will automatically switch to the state you're in?
  10. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Hey Baro..... David here. I met up with you awhile back in Vancouver so you could show me your Nomu. Do you remember? I am not having the problems with mine that you are having. I also bought a Kyocera DF and I like it better then the Nomu but I do use both of them. If you were to buy a Kyocera DF just make sure it is not a branded at+t phone even if it is unlocked. You will not be able to use the hot spot unless u sine up for a at+t account. They somehow have it blocked and you need to use an app called pdanet, a pain in the ass.
    How you doin, btw ?
  11. Baroquenride

Oddometer:
    Doing well David, was thinking about you when I got back to this app! We really need to ride soon! I'm heading to Lake Superior very soon, hence the desire to get the free maps loaded, but after that you can show me some new roads over in your are. Btw, I've been strongly considering getting a Kyocera- or just a new Verizon phone. We'll see...
  12. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Nice to hear from you. Let me know when you get back. What part of Superior are you heading to. I have a friend that owns a 3 acre island north west a little ways from Two Harbors Minn. She spends her whole summers there. No running water or electricity just a fire place and woodstove and propane.
    She escapes the world up there.......
    ohgood likes this.
  13. Baroquenride

Oddometer:
    My buddy and I are going close to Grand Forks, MN and I'll be going to Duluth for the day he's attending a memorial service. I'm actually strongly considering going up through there and on to Split Rock Lighthouse! Just depends on time and whether I want to sit on the bike for yet another day of riding in between all the other riding over there.
    ohgood likes this.
  14. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Well today each state (CA, NV, AZ, andUT) loaded just fine
  15. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    That will be a nice ride. Between Duluth and two harbors. Just a little ways north of Duluth "you should be on Mn. 61 look for a road to your right called Congdon Blvd. You should see this on your Locus map, just zoom in a bunch. This is The north shore drive and it may even say that. Take that cut off. This follows the lake shore. Many senic pull offs. Follow that untill it forces you back on to Mn. 61 which now follows the lake. If you have the time after visiting the lighthouse continue north.....It just gets better. Nice rugged lake shore. North of Two Harbors Beaver Bay and then Silver Bay are nice . Google "Ride the Arrowhead" A small pamphlet on some rides in the north east part of Mn. Put out by the Minnesota Arrowhead Association. Dont forget to take bug dope with you and keep your faceshield down and your mouth closed, unless you get hungry hahahaha. What kind of bike will you be on?
    Ride safe and have fun :-)
  16. Baroquenride

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestion, I saw it and was planning on taking that route. Most likely, I'll be on my VFR800 but might take my VStrom 650 instead- not sure yet. This ride will bring a lot of new firsts (Yellowstone, Beartooth Pass, Lolo Pass, longest ride for me, longest super slabbing), but will also serve as a practice run for doing a Nova Scotia/New Brunswick ride at a later point in life.
  17. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Sounds good. have a fun time :-)
  18. bradrh

bradrh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SRTie4k, Would it be easy to have a different color for motorized vs nonmotorized trails?
  19. jojojones

jojojones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Attached is a slightly modified version of the "vt midstate loop". Since I have ridden so much in the state I tried to remove out the parts I've already ridden and somehow the file has a gap in it in the track and for some reason the endpoint is in the middle of the track. I know this is probably something simple and I'm being stupid. Can someone advise how I can close that Gap and how I can move the red and point to the end of the actual track. It's supposed to end very close to where it started.

5160 and 940 are 2 gap areas.

End point is at 5395 but should be at real end 5152. Something is funky.

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

20. ohgood

Oddometer:

I'll fix it when i get home.