Locus

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by levain, Jun 26, 2014.

1. jojojones

jojojones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I appreciate it if you do fix it but I'd really like to know how because I tried to remove the Gap numerous times and it did nothing. Somehow I think it's corrupted.
  2. nibby

nibby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had some good experiences yesterday having finally decided to give Locus Pro a try on the phone - very powerful - Couple of questions, haven't searched yet so sorry and probably already covered.....is there anyway to remove the "X" from the mapping screen? when I touch it says it's a "note"?? I didn't put any notes on the map so not sure why there are there??

second. I will probably have to purchase some extra mapping - Am I right in thinking that I need to but some "locoins"? to purchase extra maps?? Strange as the free mapping they allow you is now saying there is an update but I've got no locoins left so I need to purchase these so I can upgrade the mapping??

Cheers
  3. webmonstro

webmonstro A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer:
    Is this the gap your referring to ?
    You seam to have alot of bears in your area . Screenshot_2019-08-25-09-55-20.jpg
    ohgood likes this.
  4. webmonstro

webmonstro A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer:
    Sorry that's in OsmAnd
    In locus you can touch the endpoint of the track then touch the little pencil thing and create (free hand the track until the other end )
    Screenshot_2019-08-25-10-08-04.jpg Screenshot_2019-08-25-10-07-37.jpg

But that's a lot of work for bigger thing
    You could also just make a new route between the two points let locus calculate the track with BRouter then join it with the main track .
    I bet ohgood knows of a better way
  5. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

this is weird, loss like the track was butchered at some point ?

this one is fine
    Screenshot_20190825-062124.png

but the end points... are just gone ?
  6. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No idea on the "X". It sound like you are using a theme and have "notes" turned on?

On the maps, yes, to update you LoMaps you have to purchase more LoCoins which is stupid.

I just use https://openandromaps.org and use the locus button on the maps I want to download the maps.
    Cyclepath and nibby like this.
  7. jojojones

Oddometer:
    the track was very butchered yes. There were at least 2 merge operations involved. I took a clean track then overlayed it on tracks I have run then tried to cut out and add so I was not going to ride the same parts...so in all this butchering the red dot end point is now in the middle and there are 2 gaps that no matter what I try will not get fixed. This is not mission critical in any way but a learning experience because the route planner is my weak point. I do not find it intuitive and I'm sure that's just me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  8. jojojones

Oddometer:
    turn off open street map notes
    nibby likes this.
  9. jojojones

Oddometer:
    no that is the correct end point which is near the start. I just want to learn why the red dot end point is not there and how to fix that.
  10. nibby

nibby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for info re mapping, just downloading now - also re @jojojones post below re notes in openstreet map - that's sorted it - Thanks @jojojones

Really good app - loving that I don't have to use various maps, seems to do everything I need all in the one app.
  11. arghhh

arghhh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you guys use Locus to track record or a different app? I'm mainly thinking in terms of battery usage.
  12. flamingm0e

Oddometer:
    I use Locus to record and view. Basically everything
    arghhh likes this.
  13. AdvNener

AdvNener Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah nothing special about recording with locus. It works. With screen off and no navigation i'd say about 2% battery life per hour for me.
    arghhh likes this.
  14. ohgood

Oddometer:
    i record with locus. it's battery usage while recording is about 1% every two hours, maybe.

settings to take note of:

location settings "GPS only"or "device only" .... never use "high accuracy", as it will drain the battery faster and attempt to use Google services (cellular/wifi/Bluetooth) to locate via triangulation. triangulation is a very poor location estimate, you want to use trilateration, which is excellent.

battery saving (Android settings) - don't use it. it will interfere with GPS usage on newer devices

locus widget - you can start and stop recording with the locus widget and never need to open the full locus application.

track recording settings (inside locus) can be manually set to very fine or very coarse, neither of which effects battery life at all.

airplane mode: acts differently on Att vs Verizon units. airplane mode will disable the GPS antenna on att, but not on Verizon. for att models, use "radio switcher" to turn off the cellular radio. then you can still use the GPS antenna with the wasted energy going to the cellular antenna
    arghhh likes this.
  15. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    Can you give me an example?

Restricted roads are already marked with red X's, while other "trails" (like abandoned railroad tracks, bicycle trails, walking trails) currently appear differently.
  16. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Hi ohgood. I am using a Kyocera e6820. It is unlocked but it is a at&t branded phone and I did not know this when I bought it. You are right about it not allowing me to use air plane mode without losing the gps signal and also I can not use the hot spot unless I sign up with at&t. So I am using pdanet to by pass the at&t bullcrap. I was wondering if there is a different model Kyocera that isn't at&t or verizon branded. Non of the info on amazon says anything about that except that it is unlocked.

Also my version of Locus pro is 3.34.1 and I can not find the gps settings for gps or device only. I thought they were there but now can't find them anymore. now all I have is "hardware compass" , "orientation via gps" or Auto change. I have it set for orientation via gps.
    What am I missing ?

Thanks ohgood :-)
  17. flamingm0e

Oddometer:
    Sprint, T-Mobile (I think), AT&T, and Verizon

The options for GPS/device only is in the device settings. It has nothing to do with Locus
  18. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I had a brain fart as to where the gps settings are. :-)
    What I was asking about the cell phone was is there any models that are not branded to any of the big 4, unlocked and not branded.
    I have an old Asus zen fone 2 lazer that is beginning fail and it is not branded to anybody. It's just a gsm phone. I am using Cricket and have been for many years.
  19. bradrh

bradrh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    N38.459419° W105.984737°
    At that position, the rainbow trail (motorized), intersects with columbine trail (non-motorized). These are both tagged (in OSM) as highway=path, the motorcycle trail adds the tag motorcycle=yes
  20. ohgood

Oddometer:

Android location settings is where "GPS only" resides.

i only know about the att Verizon models